Pat Richards...

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
robjoenz

Pat Richards...

Post by robjoenz »

Psycho, you've said twice in the past week that you like Richards. What do you like about him? Or do you, and his other fans, like him from his time at Wests Tigers?
- psycho -

Re: Pat Richards...

Post by - psycho - »

well, from his time at wests, he was a fantastic winger, think he was their top try scorer last season and though i am a north queenslander, it was great to see him score a fantastic try in the final. he came to wigan and i couldnt wait to see him play. he was played in the centre were alot of people were questioning if he could cut it there rather than on the wing. he was heavily critised for playing centre and under performing and was probably one of our worst players earlier in the season. i had been shouting for a while for him to be put back onto the wing. nobby comes along and wish granted. since then i have been very glad to see richards become our top scorer and im happy with how he is doing now. i felt sorry for the guy when he was in the centres because it's clear he wasnt comfortable there and he was being heavily critised for this. now he is on the wing i just see him as the plaer he should be and has been solid since moving there, one of the better in the team at this moment. he just needs to see more of the ball. he has improved his tackling and his kicking is good. i just think he is a good player and i am part of this pat richards fan club if it exists. no even better still, i will create it! im member numeral uno in the pat richards fan club. anyone wants to join me then go ahead :D
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

pat is a top player.
IN WANE WE TRUST
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

I agree with the first part of what you said (Wests Tigers and poor start to the season) but I don't think he's really improved.

For his size I think his defence is rather suspect, he should be bringing people to the ground no bother, but he isn't. Against Leeds I am not sure whether it was his fault, or the fault of the rest of the defence for not sliding over but he was stood yards in from the wing when they had the overlap, they skinned him everytime.

I think his oveeall manner looks like he isn't really that bothered. I'd question whether he regrets coming here, wishing he'd stayed with Wests.

I think his main positive is his ability to catch a ball in the air, or pat it back to his centre. We might do better if we tried this more often instead of little grubbers through to the fullback/dead ball line.
- psycho -

Post by - psycho - »

robjoenz posted:
I agree with the first part of what you said (Wests Tigers and poor start to the season) but I don't think he's really improved.

For his size I think his defence is rather suspect, he should be bringing people to the ground no bother, but he isn't. Against Leeds I am not sure whether it was his fault, or the fault of the rest of the defence for not sliding over but he was stood yards in from the wing when they had the overlap, they skinned him everytime.

I think his oveeall manner looks like he isn't really that bothered. I'd question whether he regrets coming here, wishing he'd stayed with Wests.

I think his main positive is his ability to catch a ball in the air, or pat it back to his centre. We might do better if we tried this more often instead of little grubbers through to the fullback/dead ball line.
completely disagree. earlier in the season everyone was trompling over him because he was tackling really high but he has grasped a better technique now. secondly you try and catch danny williams! thirdly he is good under the high ball but that doesnt mean it should be utilized everytime. we need a variety to our kicking game. high bombs all the time wont help because they are predictable. at hudds he was unmarked and could get in easily with only the winger to out jump but it is now text book and he is marked by at least 2 or 3 people everytime. we need to be using grubbers into the in goal but dont give the ball to sean o'loughlin when attempting.

emma warriors simply the best

Post by emma warriors simply the best »

At the begining of the season Richards didnt have a good start but since being put on the wing he has proved to us why we signed him and showed us he can play
LOYAL
WARRIOR

PHIL BAILEY: "I am totally thrilled to be joining the Wigan Warriors. Everyone believes in the club and I can’t wait to join Wigan for 2007".

Iafeta Paleaaesina:"Our fans support over recent years has been astonishing. They are the backbone of the Club and we are truly grateful for the way they get behind us".

!!!WARRIORS 4 LIFE!!!

Born a WARRIOR!
Live a WARRIOR!
Die a WARRIOR!

we can build this dream together
standing strong forever
Nothing's gonna stop us now

Proud to be a wiganer!!!
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

- psycho - posted:
completely disagree. earlier in the season everyone was trompling over him because he was tackling really high but he has grasped a better technique now. secondly you try and catch danny williams! thirdly he is good under the high ball but that doesnt mean it should be utilized everytime. we need a variety to our kicking game. high bombs all the time wont help because they are predictable. at hudds he was unmarked and could get in easily with only the winger to out jump but it is now text book and he is marked by at least 2 or 3 people everytime. we need to be using grubbers into the in goal but dont give the ball to sean o'loughlin when attempting.
How can you completely disagree when my first paragraph was saying how I agreed with you! haha :wink:

I imagine it is hard to keep up with Danny Williams, which is why positioning would be key and standing 5 metres in field, leaving him a massive gap doesn't help his cause does it. However, as I say, I don't know if this was his fault or a poor sliding defence not keeping up with the fast Leeds ball.

I know using the same move gets predictable, my comments were more of a dig at Locker's and Orr's wasted 4th tackle grubbers.

I still can't see what there is to rave about though, he looks more comfortable on the wing that at centre but he's not done anything for me. In a word I would describe him as 'disinterested.'
- psycho -

Post by - psycho - »

robjoenz posted:
- psycho - posted:
How can you completely disagree when my first paragraph was saying how I agreed with you! haha :wink:

I imagine it is hard to keep up with Danny Williams, which is why positioning would be key and standing 5 metres in field, leaving him a massive gap doesn't help his cause does it. However, as I say, I don't know if this was his fault or a poor sliding defence not keeping up with the fast Leeds ball.

I know using the same move gets predictable, my comments were more of a dig at Locker's and Orr's wasted 4th tackle grubbers.

I still can't see what there is to rave about though, he looks more comfortable on the wing that at centre but he's not done anything for me. In a word I would describe him as 'disinterested.'
:lol: at the first bit.

maybe he does look a bit disinterested but when he socres he is completely the opposite. when he scored against hudds and wakey he was loving it (only for his wakey TRY to be disallowed). i have seen him on many occassion also trying to lift some players. once, the camera went on him on sky and he was clapping his hands and geeing up some of the other players. he does get involved in the game to and is always there to congratulate and celebrate trys, pushing into touch or other good plays. quite a good team player and seems to be a friend in the wigan camp.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

If anybody thionks he has looked as good as he did for West Tigers then they need their head testing. I have been saddened by his efforts thus far given the expectations I had of him. He is clearly better as a winger than a centre but he still does not play to his weight. He should be far more difficult to tackle than he is and he should be harder hitting. He does not seem ultra fast either. What happened to these supposed monster drop outs?

I do recall Pat as a youngster not really hitting great heights with Parra.
The Black Pearl

Post by The Black Pearl »

I must have seen a different Pat Richards because I think he has been really poor this season. I think he lacks pace for a winger and strength. I had high hopes for Pat but he's really disappointed me.
emma warriors simply the best posted:
At the begining of the season Richards didnt have a good start but since being put on the wing he has proved to us why we signed him and showed us he can play
Pain is temporary pride is forever