Pat Richards

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
warriors2005

Pat Richards

Post by warriors2005 »

What a mistake!

Lucky it didn't really cost us!
Im beginning to ask questions of this fellas ability. He is one who really needs to prove that the club were right in buying him.
stevocod

Re: Pat Richards

Post by stevocod »

warriors2005 posted:
What a mistake!

Im beginning to ask questions of this fellas ability. He is one who really needs to prove that the club were right in buying him.
This has been mentioned in an earlier long thread, but he is our leading try scorer i think and with Moran playing half the season as our scrum half, we didn't create that many for him.

Give him time im sure he can get better and wasn't exactly completely his fault for the first one and one or two silly errors amount it to the majority of the team and what weve done so far this season and it pales to insignificance.
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

i hope sundays game was a one off as he is our top try scorer and we need all the points we can get
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

stevocod posted:
warriors2005 posted:
What a mistake!

This has been mentioned in an earlier long thread, but he is our leading try scorer i think and with Moran playing half the season as our scrum half, we didn't create that many for him.

Give him time im sure he can get better and wasn't exactly completely his fault for the first one and one or two silly errors amount it to the majority of the team and what weve done so far this season and it pales to insignificance.
None of them have done a massive amount this season. Would you have been so forgiving if his mistakes led to us losing on Sunday? Things like taking a wild swing at a kick and missing, and generally not dealing well with kicks are really his problem, not the rest of the team.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
stevocod

Post by stevocod »

Fraggle posted:
stevocod posted:
warriors2005 posted:
What a mistake!

None of them have done a massive amount this season. Would you have been so forgiving if his mistakes led to us losing on Sunday? Things like taking a wild swing at a kick and missing, and generally not dealing well with kicks are really his problem, not the rest of the team.
The second try he conceded was the only error that i cant be so forgiving about, but in general terms he has done ok compared to others and it was the first time he was put under any pressure with the ball on a greasy surface in this country and i would have forgiven him as a one off poor mistake if we lost, yes.

If we continue to lambast every player for the individual mistakes they make they are bound to lose confidence, but on a comparison with the errors of say Lockers and Fletch it isn't much at all is it?
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

stevocod posted:
The second try he conceded was the only error that i cant be so forgiving about, but in general terms he has done ok compared to others and it was the first time he was put under any pressure with the ball on a greasy surface in this country and i would have forgiven him as a one off poor mistake if we lost, yes.

If we continue to lambast every player for the individual mistakes they make they are bound to lose confidence, but on a comparison with the errors of say Lockers and Fletch it isn't much at all is it?
Richards got away with one or two other mistakes at the back that didn't lead to tries, he was just generally awful on Sunday. Do they not have greasy conditions in Aus? Their season is in their winter time, so he must have played in less-than-ideal conditions before. He's a well-paid professional, and in my book he should be able to adapt. It's rained at other times in the months that he's been here!

I don't even agree that he's done ok compared to others. Yes, he's scored some tries, but not done a great deal else really. Chris Ashton's had to do a lot more to score some of his tries than PR who in some cases has had to just pluck a ball out of the sky and touch it down. I'm not knocking what is required to score, but just saying that the fact he is top try scorer cannot be used to justify claims that he has been better than many others. On many occasions he has looked almost as uninterested as DV both in attack and defence. As far as I'm concerned, we've not had our money's worth out of him so far.

As for people like Lockers and Fletcher, I've criticised them when they've played badly. Lockers against Salford the other week was truly abysmal. But he made very few mistakes on Sunday, so I'm not going to criticise him unlike some on here who call him no matter what he does. Maybe criticising individuals is not good, but when someone puts in as poor a performance as Richards did on Sunday then negative comments are inevitable.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

Our entire team is playing poorly at the moment. I can remember when Steve Renouf came and he had an absolute shocker in his first season and people were calling for him to be sacked as well. He soon silenced his critics in his second season. I am not suggesting that we give all the overseas players a full season to adjust to our game. It would however be worth considering that these players have moved home and travelled to the other side of the world to play a different style of game and with a totally different culture outside of Rugby League. When my Auntie moved to Australia she said it took her at least a year to get used to is and settle in. Whether they are sporting superstars or not, it is still going to be a big culture shock for them. Then to cap it all off they have to turn out at weekends and play Rugby in a team that are playing their worst for over 25 years. Granted Pat Richards had by far his worst game of the season on Sunday but he hasn't been all that bad this year in terms of being the weakest link in the team. I am sure he will improve as will hopefully the rest of our team, it is clear that we seem to have turned a corner and in the past few weeks our performances have got better. I don't think it will be too long before we are playing like we all thought we would before the season started, just as soon as we get out of the losing habit.

stevocod

Post by stevocod »

Fraggle posted:
stevocod posted:

Richards got away with one or two other mistakes at the back that didn't lead to tries, he was just generally awful on Sunday. Do they not have greasy conditions in Aus? Their season is in their winter time, so he must have played in less-than-ideal conditions before.
Yes they do but the terrain is well know for being harder out there and the ground is much softer here so the ball reacts in a different way and as we all know a rugby ball bounces funny sometimes anyway. I'm not defending that one try towards the end that went through him, but trying to understand why it should happen to, as you say a well-paid professional.

He's scored more tries than anyone too and Dallas had a very bad game against Leeds as did Ashton and I like both those players and would never consider not playing either of them.
stevocod

Post by stevocod »

Sutty posted:
Our entire team is playing poorly at the moment. I can remember when Steve Renouf came and he had an absolute shocker in his first season and people were calling for him to be sacked as well. He soon silenced his critics in his second season. I am not suggesting that we give all the overseas players a full season to adjust to our game. It would however be worth considering that these players have moved home and travelled to the other side of the world to play a different style of game and with a totally different culture outside of Rugby League. When my Auntie moved to Australia she said it took her at least a year to get used to is and settle in. Whether they are sporting superstars or not, it is still going to be a big culture shock for them. Then to cap it all off they have to turn out at weekends and play Rugby in a team that are playing their worst for over 25 years. Granted Pat Richards had by far his worst game of the season on Sunday but he hasn't been all that bad this year in terms of being the weakest link in the team. I am sure he will improve as will hopefully the rest of our team, it is clear that we seem to have turned a corner and in the past few weeks our performances have got better. I don't think it will be too long before we are playing like we all thought we would before the season started, just as soon as we get out of the losing habit.
Exactly my point in the other Richards thread. He was playing in a championship winning side with Wests who play a different style and with play makers like Benji Marshall and Scott Prince and he played alongside Moran most of the season and still managed to score off him, whilst not many others did so i am reserving judgement on Richards until the end of the season or even a bit into next.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

Fraggle posted:
stevocod posted:
warriors2005 posted:
What a mistake!

But you can say that about anyone's mistakes - and there were plenty on offer from the rest of the team, we can't just drop them all! Fletcher's first knock-on that led directly to a try, Hock's wild pass early in the tackle count after a great attacking run, Hock again giving a silly penalty after a great kick and chase, Orr's bombed try under the sticks and his error letting the ball go over him from that kick-off, Ashton over-committing himself defending their last try...I don't feel it's fair to single out Richards.