If you could pick one past player ...

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Nine

If you could pick one past player ...

Post by Nine »

If you could pick one past player (miraculously still in their prime) to help us maintain our steady progress out of the mess we have created for ourselves this season, who would it be and why?

A couple of week ago I would have picked Billy Boston: as much for the boost of having a living legend in the side as for his undoubtedly superb play. But with the return of Rads I think the Living Legend slot is filled.

On reflection, my vote might go to Bill Ashurst - superbly creative with ball in hand or from foot, and hard as nails. Now the defence is improving I think he'd give a shot in the arm to the attack with his ability to mix it up with slipped passes. neat chip-and-regathers, etc, etc. Sadly, Calders can only dream of what it would be like to play outside such a fantastic creative player.
Squad number 18!
Mrs Feka!!

Re: If you could pick one past...

Post by Mrs Feka!! »

farrell, he is just the kind of player, who is committed with very very good leadershiop, which we need at the moment.
Chandler: How come Donald duck NEVER wears shorts, but whenever he gets outta the shower, he always puts a towel round his waist? I mean whats that all about?!?!

:lol: :conf:
Exiled Wiganer

Re: If you could pick one ...

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Brett Kenny please. We'd be right, then. He was pure class. Silky smooth, complete vision, speed. The best overseas player I've seen in my 25 years watching the game.
adiddy

Post by adiddy »

Without a doubt Id have the genius Gene Miles!!! An awesome giant of a man who would create lots of go forward and would complement Fielden no end, and as a centre no one else would be big enough or powerful enough to contain him, not only that but he was fast as well as creative, and I think like Offiah found out, that with Miles on his inside, Calderwood with 10 games to go would become top tryscorer! :D
Stev0

Post by Stev0 »

Exiled Wiganer posted:
Brett Kenny please. We'd be right, then. He was pure class. Silky smooth, complete vision, speed. The best overseas player I've seen in my 25 years watching the game.
Totally agree Exiled.... although we're a little spoiled for choice in this topic with a host of outstanding players.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

If it was just pick any player regardless of or current situation I'd say Farrell without a doubt.

But with Fielden looking to assume Farrell's leadership role in order to adress the teams weakness in the backs I'd love to see a modern day Inga back and running over the likes of Lyon & Co.

Dave
Martin WWRFL

Post by Martin WWRFL »

DaveO posted:
If it was just pick any player regardless of or current situation I'd say Farrell without a doubt.

But with Fielden looking to assume Farrell's leadership role in order to adress the teams weakness in the backs I'd love to see a modern day Inga back and running over the likes of Lyon & Co.

Dave
Totally agree with everythin you have said.
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Come on guys there is only one player, the finest player to play for Wigan in the last 30 years or so. This player had pace vision power skill agility, he could play in any position on the field if need be, yes prop, wing, stand off, you name it he could play there for you. Bring on the finest the one and sadly only, the living geniuses a one:

Mr Ellery Hanley

I was privileged along with it being an honour to watch this magician in action, how many times did he when the chip where down and we needed that try did he come up with it?

What an inspirational captain who truly did lead from the front.

In my opinion the finest player I personally have ever seen.

medlocke

Post by medlocke »

DaveO posted:

Dave

was just about to say Inga, my all time Favourite :roll:
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Picking Kenny was an indulgence.
If I wanted a single player to play for my life, it would have to be Hanley.
Never saw the fuss about Inga - he had a brief period of fitness, but didn't sustain it. But then, I never saw anything in Botica, so maybe I'm biased against New Zealand ex-union players.