lancs vs yorkshire

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
- psycho -

lancs vs yorkshire

Post by - psycho - »

it was our state of origin in reality. i wasnt around in the rugby sport when these matches were played but ive heard good things. why did we stop the lancashire vs yorkshire games? the origin is such a big thing in aus, was this rival game not to big over here? it would be great to have something brought back like this which may add a bit of spice to the regular season. what do you think?
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
Fraggle

Re: lancs vs yorkshire

Post by Fraggle »

- psycho - posted:
it was our state of origin in reality. i wasnt around in the rugby sport when these matches were played but ive heard good things. why did we stop the lancashire vs yorkshire games? the origin is such a big thing in aus, was this rival game not to big over here? it would be great to have something brought back like this which may add a bit of spice to the regular season. what do you think?
They brought them back about 4 years ago as mid-season, mid-week games but not many people went. I nearly got to one, but my car broke down in the middle of a one-way street so close to Headingley that I could hear the crowd, but couldn't abandon my car as it was blocking the street...!
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
portite

Post by portite »

As I am originally from Bristol where RU is rather popular, I think the RFL should have a five nations championship, instead of the extra 6 games at the end of the season. We need to show the whole country that Rugby Laegue is the greatest game. The Lancashire/Yorkshire games weren't taken that seriously when they were re-introduced.
stevocod

Post by stevocod »

portite posted:
As I am originally from Bristol where RU is rather popular, I think the RFL should have a five nations championship, instead of the extra 6 games at the end of the season. We need to show the whole country that Rugby Laegue is the greatest game. The Lancashire/Yorkshire games weren't taken that seriously when they were re-introduced.
Yes gd point and would improve the game internationally. But how would the tri nations happen and if you scrapped that and just had the world cup how could Northern Hemisphere sides improve if we arent playing against the best on a regular basis as was the problem pre mid nineties in RU?
Stev0

Post by Stev0 »

I remember a recent 'War of the Roses' where Yorkshire had a healthy lead and we came back and did them. (if i remember correctly, that is) and that was a great game. .. but on a whole they lack the intensity of the Aussie equivalent.
stevocod

Post by stevocod »

Stev0 posted:
I remember a recent 'War of the Roses' where Yorkshire had a healthy lead and we came back and did them. (if i remember correctly, that is) and that was a great game. .. but on a whole they lack the intensity of the Aussie equivalent.
Well that's because the reputation of the origin precedes itself for a number of years whereas the origin here is off and on and it would certainly mean alot more if it occured on a regular basis.

Would also give us a chance of the fringe players to challenge the first XIII and that's exactly the competition to challenge NZ and Aus if we want to challenge for the tri nations year in year out
ellery

Post by ellery »

I remember the first war of the roses game at Leeds.
I got the coach from Central Park. The driver was a Saints troll who told us that he supported the greatest team in the world, Sent Ellins, and then tried to drop us off at Elland Road as he didn't know where Headingley was!
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Lancashire for me. Red Roses etc...

cant beat a bit of Lancashire! (well, the western parts, not blackburn or burnley area... thats just squaller.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame