Ashton analyses

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan Watcher

Ashton analyses

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Ashton analyses

Ill start by saying IMO.

Before I say anything I’m already for the wroth of some fans so here goes.

I have a problem with Ashton’s bottle when tackling, first of all I’m not talking about when he has the ball going forward or his work rate.

When he is about to tackle I see someone who is not totally committed to making the big hit, I have seen him use his shoulder in tackles but not to put a man down but to knock him off balance. Granted this can be used to good effect but I still feel on a one on one situation his nerve is suspect.

nathan_rugby

Re: Ashton analyses

Post by nathan_rugby »

Tell us something we dont know !

We have been debating about this for monthes. Yes he is great under high ball and great in attack but when he is one on one its 50-50.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Flash posted:
If you are commenting on the way he took big Les out by shifting him sideways on rather than attempting to tackle him front on, then he was absolutely correct in doing so. It had nothing to do with bottle. Get a grip!

BTW it's 'analysis' and "I'm all ready". :wink:
What does BTW mean?

No Im not talking about any one incident, I’m talking about his overall persona.

Fielden's Angel

Post by Fielden's Angel »

To be honest I dont have a bad word to say about anyone including Valeliki. I think the whole team played with conviction and showed confidence in lets face it against a very good team. I think players such as Dobson, Richards, Higham, Calderwood and Fielden stood out as outstanding. I was impressed by Hocks composure and Danny Orr was execellant in defence. Feka hit the bulls defence line with a strength that was awesome.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

I agree whole heartedly, attacking wise he is second to none.
However, I've seen him let countless balls bounce that he should have taken, and his tackling technique is non existent if he isn't coming in from the side, and his positioning is dreaful at times. I've said this all season, people seem to think his age is the reason, yet it isn't a problem when hes going forward, you cant have it bothways. I still think he would make a better centre than fullback.
Flash, I don't expect you to agree with any of this, so I won't argue with you over it. We see it different, so I wont go over old ground again, these are my views. Nothing will change that, apart from a massive upsurge in his defensive game.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Flash posted:
ChrisA posted:
I agree whole heartedly, attacking wise he is second to none. I've seen him let countless balls bounce that he should have taken, and his tackling technique is non existent if he isn't coming in from the side. I've said this all season, people seem to think his age is the reason, yet it isn't a problem when hes going forward. I still think he would make a better centre than fullback.
Flash, I don't expect you to agree with any of this, so I won't argue with you over it. We see it different, so I wont go over old ground again, these are my views. Nothing will change that, apart from a massive upsurge in his degensive game.
Chris, as I remember your problems were with his on on one defensive techniques for which we disagreed in principle not in outcome (i.e. we both thought he had room for improvement in his one on one defence but with a differing view of the underlying reasons). I've never heartd you say that you thought he lacked bottle before. If that is your view then I think we have a few more arguments brewing!
I am not saying he lacks bottle, maybe I should have worded may post better. I was agreeing with the frailties in his defence rather than the lack of bottle you refer to.
I will say this though, he doesn't show the commitment in defence, that he does in attack, not even close. I hope that does improve, because at the moment, we have a top drawer attacking fullback, and a below average defensive fullback.

I will also say this, if Ashton wasn't so good in attack, and he was steady and nothing more, far more people would be pointing out the deficiences he has in defence. They would stand out a whole lot more if this was the case.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

We cant count age as an excuse.
I would say inexperience is the issue with him.
Lets say if you play full back for 10 years at professional leval. You understand the game more, react to situations and adapt to your environment.
This is chris ashtons first year at profesional. He hasnt had many runnins. I mean like how many teams have kicked the ball towards him. Lets say he has recieved 200 kicks at pro leval. Kris radders will have received say 2000. Radders wil understand things more.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Martin Taylor

Post by Martin Taylor »

I think this post is madness! The lad is 19 years old and developing all the time! For a kid to be thrown into the deep end of Superleague, THEN hold his poition down. THEN excell in his position with the possible accolade of young player of the year is just fantastic in my eyes! He has been a star for Wigan, with his support play and ability to bring the ball back!
I just feel that some people will never be satisfied no matter who we have playing for us!
It will not be long before the Fielden critics emerge!
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Martin Taylor posted:
I think this post is madness! The lad is 19 years old and developing all the time! For a kid to be thrown into the deep end of Superleague, THEN hold his poition down. THEN excell in his position with the possible accolade of young player of the year is just fantastic in my eyes! He has been a star for Wigan, with his support play and ability to bring the ball back!
I just feel that some people will never be satisfied no matter who we have playing for us!
Martin I couldn't agree more! Mmm... I'm getting to like this strategy of just agreeing with the sensible ones and ignoring the idiots!! Keeps the blood pressure down nicely!! :D
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Martin Taylor posted:
Don't get so techy, people aren't insulting your mother. Read my post, and argue the points with me. I think I make some good points, if you disagree, put your point across.