Re: What is it about Rugby Lea...

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fraggle

Re: What is it about Rugby Lea...

Post by Fraggle »

I'm also a non-Wiganer who was attracted to the sport by watching it on television. When I lived with my parents my mother always used to watch Wigan on tv, they were the only team I really knew anything about and they were the closest SL team to where I lived!

But why RL? Or indeed, why any sport, since I come from a town where sport has never been a big thing and as someone who was terrible at sports at school? I think it's the fact that it's an exciting spectacle, it doesn't have the arrogant self-importance of football who is too money-oriented , obsessive and just plain boring (a 0-0 draw in soccer would send me to sleep, a 0-0 draw in a game of RL means you've probably seen a game that's either absolutely superb or unbelievably bad!). I hate to say it, but even Eddie and Stevo's commentary helped attract me to the sport, they might spout controversial rubbish most of the time but they seem a bit more genuine that the sycophantic commentators of other sports. I even enjoyed the "Americanization" of the sport, watching the Warriors play the Mariners in the WCC in 97 sounded a lot more exciting than, say, City vs Town (the only football game I ever saw live was Lancaster City vs Fleetwood Town, many years ago!)

Having been a season ticket holder for 7 seasons now I'm a fully-committed (commitable?) fan of the sport, it really is the Greatest Game and I'll be trying to get to watch some of the amateur games in the cold this winter just to get my "fix"!
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
GeoffN

Re: What is it about Rugby...

Post by GeoffN »

Brought up with it. My mum & dad used to take me when I was very young (in the early fifties!) and I just got addicted!
Mum still has a season ticket and gets to as many away games as she can as well, even though she's in her eighties.
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

I was brought up with it to my mum and dad were both Wigan fans as is my Granddad. I wasn't that interested in Rugby when I was little because we sat at the back on central park and I had no idea what was happening, I really enjoyed playing rugby but I was rubbish at it so I just decided to just watch instead.

I remember my dad and granddad telling me stories about Wigan and past players etc and I was fascinated by the history of the club, since then I’ve been Wigan Warriors mad.
ste lord

Post by ste lord »

i was brought up in Wigan and both my mam and dad supported Wigan RLFC,

i used to go to the A team matches at the age of 5,

I remember seeing Wigan beat hull at wembley years ago for the silk cut challenge cup i was also in attendance when we lost to Widnes,

I have been supporting them for 21 years and would never support anyone else,apart from being a arm chair Liverpool fan,

Keep Wigan "Wigan"

ince warrior

Post by ince warrior »

I was always brought up with Wigan Rugby and went to matches at Central Park but I wasn't really genuinely interested in RL until I went to Wigan vs Leeds in the Grand Final 1998, and the performance and atmosphere was magical, and just drew me to Wigan Rugby and Rugby League in general
WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGAN!!!

WRLFC & SCFC FOR LIFE!!!

WE HATE LATICS, SAINTS, MACCLESFIELD, BURNLEY, CITY, LEEDS, WIRE AND WREXHAM!!!!
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

i once went to central park by mistake i was looking for springfield park to watch the latics in their first season in the football league.(mid seventies i think). i then started watching rl and followed wigan simply because i,d been there. i now travel over from northern ireland 5/6 times a season and i love it. it,s a much more honest game than football and i really like the people who make me most welcome in the town
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

waterside glens posted:
i once went to central park by mistake i was looking for springfield park to watch the latics in their first season in the football league.(mid seventies i think). i then started watching rl and followed wigan simply because i,d been there. i now travel over from northern ireland 5/6 times a season and i love it. it,s a much more honest game than football and i really like the people who make me most welcome in the town
see you in the south stand bar against hull :wink: get u a beer :eh:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
waterside glens

Post by waterside glens »

okey dokey mikey boy see you there.
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

Its great reading all your stories about how you got into rugby,do your self a favour go and buy the book .Well support you ever more ,its a great read about how rugby fans started to follow there clubs ,and how they have stuck with them throgh thick and thin ,its by Dave Kuzio who is a wigan fan its the best book ive read sop give it a try anfd you want regret it .They sell it in smiths in wigan
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
warriorwal

Post by warriorwal »

Was introduced to wigan by my late grandad who lived in shevington when he was younger.His family moved to yorkshire where i now live .Always loved rugby when i was a youngster i went to watch hull kr but when i was about 10ish cant remember exactly had a holiday in wigan to visit family and grandad took me to central park where i met the amazing billy boston and had a race with him on the pitch well thats my story
OH AND BY THE WAY DO YOU LIKE MY NEW PUPPY
AMOS