New Zealand could be deducted points

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
adrenalinxx

New Zealand could be deducted points

Post by adrenalinxx »

I'm sure everyone has heard about this already but if you haven't :
New Zealand will learn on Thursday if they are to be stripped of Tri-Nations points for fielding an ineligible player against Great Britain.
The Rugby League International Federation will decide whether to strip the Kiwis of points over the apparent ineligibility of hooker Nathan Fien.

It has emerged that Australian-born Fien was selected on the basis of his New Zealand-born great-grandmother.

GB coach Brian Noble has insisted that the case should be looked into.

Highlights: New Zealand 18-14 Great Britain

"I don't know who's going to deliberate this but it shouldn't be ignored," he told the Sydney Telegraph.

"What they've done is field an ineligible player and won a game and got points off it."

Great Britain manager Abi Ekoku agreed and added: "If we pick up points by default then fair enough. If someone transgresses the rules, they suffer the punishment accordingly."

New Zealand Rugby League chairman Sel Bennett had revealed his body would accept any penalty handed down, despite earlier threatening to boycott the rest of the tournament if the Kiwis do lose the points gained from beating the Lions 18-14 on Saturday

"It is very emotional and you do say things in the spur of the moment and you get very heated when they threaten your team," said Bennett.

"The Kiwis are our national team and I'll defend them till the end. I was angry - who wouldn't be? We're holding our line, we believe we are right."

Fien, who played for Queensland in State of Origin five years ago, was called into the New Zealand Tri-Nations squad after the withdrawal of David Solomana.

The 27-year-old made his debut as a substitute in the 20-15 defeat to Australia and made his first start in Saturday's 18-14 win over Great Britain.
BBC Sport

You could probably link this back to the debate about nationality a few weeks ago, should such big RL countries like NZ and Aus really be arguing over nationality of players, there are plenty of good players in both NZ and Aus so why don't they just let some younger players play if they can't fill their squads.
DaveO

Re: New Zealand could be deduc...

Post by DaveO »

adrenalinxx posted:
You could probably link this back to the debate about nationality a few weeks ago, should such big RL countries like NZ and Aus really be arguing over nationality of players, there are plenty of good players in both NZ and Aus so why don't they just let some younger players play if they can't fill their squads.
Quite. Both Australia and NZ do this sort of thing and it really isn't on.

I doubt the Kiwi's will loose points over this as I am sure that will seen to harsh a punishment - which it isn't IMO.

I expect if he is found to in ineligible then the punishment will simply be his exclusion from the Kiwi squad for the remainder of the tournament.

Dave
thegimble

Re: New Zealand could be d...

Post by thegimble »

DaveO posted:
adrenalinxx posted:
Quite. Both Australia and NZ do this sort of thing and it really isn't on.

I doubt the Kiwi's will loose points over this as I am sure that will seen to harsh a punishment - which it isn't IMO.

I expect if he is found to in ineligible then the punishment will simply be his exclusion from the Kiwi squad for the remainder of the tournament.

Dave
Feeling i have theyll deduct them 1 point as to make the Kiwis v GB match a decider who gets to the final. Id be surprised if they did more than this.

Though GB should really be awarded the match.
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

We didn't deserve anything from the match. Forwards good, backs garbage as most people predicted. I would be embarrassed if we were given the game. Also, the player in question wasn't that hot - he was easily outplayed by Newton and Roby. IMO just remove him from the tournament and hand out a warning to NZ - job done.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

jinkin jimmy posted:
We didn't deserve anything from the match. Forwards good, backs garbage as most people predicted. I would be embarrassed if we were given the game.
I don't think inadequacy of GB is a good reason to ignore the rules.

You have to jump through hoops at junior level to make sure you only play registered players never mind for internationals.
Also, the player in question wasn't that hot - he was easily outplayed by Newton and Roby. IMO just remove him from the tournament and hand out a warning to NZ - job done.
I am sure if NZ did get a points deduction it would be seen as handing GB something they did not deserve but that is IMO the wrong way to look at it.

You can't run a competition where you play ineligible players and suffer no sanction but as I said I expect the sanction to be the loss of the player for rest of the competition.

However, if the rules say points must be deducted I can't see any reason not to enforce them, including the fact GB are rubbish.

Dave
bertina

Post by bertina »

DaveO posted:
jinkin jimmy posted:
We didn't deserve anything from the match. Forwards good, backs garbage as most people predicted. I would be embarrassed if we were given the game.
I don't think inadequacy of GB is a good reason to ignore the rules.

You have to jump through hoops at junior level to make sure you only play registered players never mind for internationals.
Also, the player in question wasn't that hot - he was easily outplayed by Newton and Roby. IMO just remove him from the tournament and hand out a warning to NZ - job done.
I am sure if NZ did get a points deduction it would be seen as handing GB something they did not deserve but that is IMO the wrong way to look at it.

You can't run a competition where you play ineligible players and suffer no sanction but as I said I expect the sanction to be the loss of the player for rest of the competition.

However, if the rules say points must be deducted I can't see any reason not to enforce them, including the fact GB are rubbish.

Dave
I agree Dave, what if the "ineligible" player had scored two or three tries?
It would be very interesting to see what the Kiwis or the eternally moaning Aussies would have to say if it was a G.B. player.
mike binder

Post by mike binder »

its an absolute joke ,as im sure you are all aware my son danny u13s ,not profesinal as just transferred from st judes to shevi sharks ,missed 6 weeks of rugby and a internatinal team can do this.again rugby league are the laughing stock of world sport and danny told he cant play till his card comes :angry: :angry:
mikebinderflooring@yahoo.co.uk for all your carpets and vinyls suppiled and fitted

TROPHIES COMING HOME
IT COMING HOME
ITS COMING HOME
ITS COMING
TROPHIES COMING HOME
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

It is a disgrace and nothing will happen bar a slap on the wrists. Why because NZ have said if they deduct 2pts they will withdraw from the tournament. NZ are taking the P. They knew prior to GB that he was ineligible BUT are claiming that the law is badly worded because it says grandparents and they deemed that the plural means any type of grandparents I.E Great and great, great, great.

We will do our stiff upper lip Brit bit and the Aussies do not give a .... .
browns_babe06

Post by browns_babe06 »

if they got the points deducted then we would only get slagged off for the rest of the series

we'll have to wait and see
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

cpwigan posted:
It is a disgrace and nothing will happen bar a slap on the wrists. Why because NZ have said if they deduct 2pts they will withdraw from the tournament. NZ are taking the P. They knew prior to GB that he was ineligible BUT are claiming that the law is badly worded because it says grandparents and they deemed that the plural means any type of grandparents I.E Great and great, great, great.

We will do our stiff upper lip Brit bit and the Aussies do not give a .... .
Great news, based on the great, great, great, great Granparent ruling,we can have loads of Auzzies playing for GB as most are related to deported convicts if you go back far enough :lol:
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered