another one off the rumour mill

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
dawbz

another one off the rumour mill

Post by dawbz »

Just been confirmed on BBC Radio Manchester that Michael Vella has just signed a three year deal with Hull K R, a good deal for them.
ChrisA

Re: another one off the rumour...

Post by ChrisA »

He's a solid pro, he's played Origin in the past, and at 28 he still has 4 or 5 years in him at the top level.

Hopefully for the guy he can recover the form he had from before his illness.

I know we enquired about him at the start of last season, just before we got Guisset, Parra said no though.
dawbz

Re: another one off the ru...

Post by dawbz »

Makes you wonder don't you think, we enquire about Solomona and Wakefield say no, we enquired about this Vella from Parra and they say no.
Bradford now have Solomona and Wakefield get Vella, i don't think many clubs like selling us players do you?.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Noble has someone up his sleeve. not King now, as we cant fit him in the cap, ah well
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

ancientnloyal posted:
Noble has someone up his sleeve. not King now, as we cant fit him in the cap, ah well
Probably looking around New Zealand for a big young prop.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

ancientnloyal posted:
If we can't fit him in the cap, we can't fit him a sleeve either :roll:
Vaealikis Girl

Post by Vaealikis Girl »

dawbz posted:
Makes you wonder don't you think, we enquire about Solomona and Wakefield say no, we enquired about this Vella from Parra and they say no.
Bradford now have Solomona and Wakefield get Vella, i don't think many clubs like selling us players do you?.
Rest assured, Vella being released for Hull is nothing against Wigan. At the start of this year we had a coach who wanted Vella around for as long as possible. Vella had a clause in his contract that meant he could get out of it on certain conditions if Smith was to be replaced as coach. With Hagan now coming on board i wouldn't be at all surprised to see Parra losing a lot of their senior players, as many have this clause.

Vella has always wanted to play in England and with retirement probably getting very close for him (his cancer situation took a few years off his playing days) now's the perfect time. The reason he chose Hull KR comes down to a few factors. Since they've only just been promoted, he is their first NRL buy and has been told he will be top priority which means he is assured of playing all games and starting if he is fit enough, something which wouldn't happen at Parra and probably the same at Wigan. He is also very good mates with coach, Justin Morgan, who started at Parra at the same time as Micky and they played together for a number of years. Vella also played a few years with captain James Webster during his time at Parra and they're quite good friends. I think these two guys probably got in his ear in a big way and convinced him to come over.

We'll miss him at Parra, he had a few years where he was out of form but after finding out why i'm surprised he was able to do as well as he did. Since beating the cancer he has been in probably the best form of his life, he'll be a big loss.
We'll miss you Freshy!!! Please come back!
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

If the gist of this thread is concern that we've missed out in not signing Michael Vella, all I can say is 'get real'!

The guy is no more than an average NRL forward. He hasn't played representative football for some time, and on top of that, he's recovering from cancer. I'm not saying this means he's total crap, but my cousin in Aus reckons that he's seriously nothing special. Plus, and I think I'm right in saying this, he's quota.

This guy was linked with us once, shortly after Farrell left (and before his health scare). I haven't heard anyone at the club mention him since.
dawbz

Post by dawbz »

Cruncher posted:
If the gist of this thread is concern that we've missed out in not signing Michael Vella, all I can say is 'get real'!

The guy is no more than an average NRL forward. He hasn't played representative football for some time, and on top of that, he's recovering from cancer. I'm not saying this means he's total crap, but my cousin in Aus reckons that he's seriously nothing special. Plus, and I think I'm right in saying this, he's quota.

This guy was linked with us once, shortly after Farrell left (and before his health scare). I haven't heard anyone at the club mention him since.
The gist of the thread is exactly what i posted, basically stating that Wakefield have signed him and people can now forget about him, at no stage did i say that we have missed out on a top quality player, although after reading Vaealikis Girls post you never know, i've read many of her posts and she talks a lot of sense, also the fact that she lives in Australia and watches Parra with great interest does make you wonder.
Going of her post alone i would say Wakefield have got a good player.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

dawbz posted:
Going of her post alone i would say Wakefield have got a good player.
And so have Hull KR.

To be honest, I'd not heard any rumours linking him to us. It's getting to the point that whenever any player is available then someone tries to suggest they might be coming to Wigan. 90% of these claims are wide of the mark.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]