FIELDEN ADMITS............

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
turf

FIELDEN ADMITS............

Post by turf »

Taken from www.wigantoday.net:

Stuart Fielden has admitted his recent performances on the international stage were 'rubbish'. The straight-talking Wigan prop has confessed his form for Great Britain in the Tri-Nations series Down Under wasn't good enough.

And he has refused to blame the death of his mother just a few days before flying out with the national squad last month.

Fielden was among several disappointments on tour as GB finished bottom of the tournament table and failed to reach the final.

The world's costliest player ended up among the spectators as Australia beat New Zealand in an epic extra-time showdown in Sydney at the weekend.

The £450,000 front row forward said: "I should have done better and that's all there is to it. I was hugely disappointed with how poor I was and I won't be making any excuses. I was rubbish."

Fielden – flattened by rival prop Willie Mason at the start of the first Great Britain v Australia clash – conceded he hadn't wanted the death of his mother to be made public, but believes that he still took the right option not to withdraw from the series.

He added: "The bereavement wasn't something I wanted in the public arena, but it sneaked out. I made the decision to go on tour and I still think it was the right decision."

Fielden, who joined Warriors from Bradford Bulls in mid-summer to help save his new team-mates from relegation, admitted he was outshone on tour by former Odsal pal Jamie Peacock.

The Leeds Rhinos prop was subsequently named the best forward in the world at a special awards ceremony in Australia, a choice that Fielden fully endorses.

He added: "Jamie was outstanding. He thoroughly deserves his award, especially considering I was alongside him doing absolutely nothing."

But Fielden has resolved to turn his negative for Britain into a positive for Wigan next season. He said: "It means a lot to play for your country and it isn't nice to feel you have let yourself down. But I will be using it as an incentive to have a great season with Wigan in 2007."

Nice to see him saying that the bad displays will fuel him for next season with Wigan. I think he is right to refuse to blame the death of his mother because that would be lookinf for excuses.

Well in Stuart Fielden!!!! Do you agree?
Wigan_forever1985

Re: FIELDEN ADMITS............

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I think it just shows why he is one of the best forwards in the world. He is a class act and no-one will be more disappointed with his performances than him, he doesn't winge or moan he tells it like it is thats why people respect him. Thats why u got to get behind him 100% because his quality of character is amazing. Good on ya Stu! COME ON 2007!
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wigan Watcher

Re: FIELDEN ADMITS...........

Post by Wigan Watcher »

He is a second row player end of.

worcesterwiganer

Post by worcesterwiganer »

It's certainly brave to come out and state this as plainly as he has. I'm not sure about the bereavement news 'sneaking out' though - he wrote about it in his column in the Metro newspaper around the time of the Grand Final. How many millions of people read that (ok not every word of it, but still) every day? I'm not saying at all that he was trying to get his excuses in early, but if he wanted to keep it quiet, why mention it in a newspaper column? Maybe one of those things that you do in a period of grief when everything seems a bit unreal.
If you aim at nothing you will hit it
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Fielden is a player I like, hard and determined. He came up against the best props in the world and came up very short. He is very good against the props over here but he is not a world class prop. He may be a world class second rower, who knows!

the-Bowtun-Warrior

Re: FIELDEN ADMITS............

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior »

fair doo's to him then...

as previously said he came up against clas players and sadly on this occasion was found wanting!

as for the 2nd row jibe...i dont care he's a prop for wigan especially while we got hoch and fletch occupying the 2nd row slots!

Bring on 2007 and show what you're made of Stu!
Owen Coyles Super White Army!!!

jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

wgnwrs posted:
Wigan Watcher posted:
Fielden is a player I like, hard and determined. He came up against the best props in the world and came up very short. He is very good against the props over here but he is not a world class prop. He may be a world class second rower, who knows!
Then why move him to second row over here?
wgnwrs posted:
Wigan Watcher posted:
wgnwrs posted:
Wigan Watcher posted:
Because WW knows more than Nobby? :wink:
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Wigan Watcher posted:
He's had plenty of good games, and series at International level, to a point where even the Aussies rated him as one of the best props in world RL. Yet after one bad series, people like you write him off and claim he isn't up to it.

Some people just have a short term memory it seems.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

:) unless we can get three more props we will keep him in front row, unless we just play fecca on his own?
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

:conf:to be honest if you are a good modern forward is their realy that much diference in prop ,second row 'ie'peacock was asecond row at brad ,morley at leeds and so on.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!