Ashton gets No 1 shirt

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Nine

Ashton gets No 1 shirt

Post by Nine »

Confirmed by brian Noble in today's Wigan Evening Post, but Nobby has warned him and all the rest that he's picking on form, not reputation. Hopefully that will light a fire under the bum of DV, by the way.
Ashton is Warriors' new No.1
Rising star Chris Ashton has been handed the No.1 shirt.
But the teenager has been warned he must be ready to battle it out for the regular full-back spot at Wigan Warriors with the vastly experienced Michael Withers.

Coach Brian Noble has dropped the biggest hint yet that Withers will not be an automatic pick despite his close-season capture from Bradford Bulls.

Ashton is a firm favourite with the Wigan fans and many are clamouring to see him stay in the first team following a host of match-winning performances last season.

That form led those same supporters to choose him as their player of the year, and Noble would seem to have his ears open to the fans' opinion.

He said: "We've given Chris the No.1 shirt, but the same rules apply to him as they do to everybody else – he has got to perform.

"Places in the Wigan first team next year will be decided on form, not reputation."

Noble has also hinted Withers and Ashton could find themselves in the same starting line-up due to the older man's versatility.

The Wigan coach has even suggested the 30-year-old Australian could provide cover for Trent Barrett at stand-off or even for Pat Richards and Mark Calderwood out on the wings.

He said: "Michael can play anywhere from one to six.

"He can turn his hand to centre or stand-off, while he started his career at Bradford on the wing.

"He's a smart player and during the seven or eight years I spent with him at Bulls, he always gave great value for money.

"Michael has bags of experience and the young players will be able to pick up a lot off him.

"Lads such as Chris would be silly not to learn from him while he's here, but I will be making judgments by taking on board current performances, not by what's happened in the past."
Squad number 18!
ancientnloyal

Re: Ashton gets No 1 shirt

Post by ancientnloyal »

Great news IMO.

Kinda knew he'd be #1 shirt anyways.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Bear

Post by Bear »

ancientnloyal posted:
Great news IMO.

Kinda knew he'd be #1 shirt anyways.
Will he be a great 1.... will he takeover the role better than radlinski? I think we have found the guy
OOOOOO were the greatest club in the world!!!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Nine posted:
Confirmed by brian Noble in today's Wigan Evening Post, but Nobby has warned him and all the rest that he's picking on form, not reputation.
A good bit of man (and fan!) management there by Nobby IMO.

It would have been a kick in the teeth for Ashton not to get the No. 1 jersey after last season. His breaks, pace and support play were a huge help to a pretty blunt 3/4 line attacking wise (as Brett and Calders rarely got the ball!).

Saying he will have to work to keep it is also the right message to send so he Ashton doesn't think he has "made it" and take his foot off the gas. I don't think he is that type of player anyway but still best to keep him on hos toes.

Fans happy, player happy and what a contrast to how Tickle was managed by Millward (yes I know some say he requested the squad number he got but I was never convinced of that myself).

Dave[/quote]
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

does this mean feilden will take his old number back do ya reckon?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Bear

Post by Bear »

There was something about him not being able to be 27/37 for the sake of Advertising or something daft like that
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

That would be rubbish it would be a perfect way for him to start again after his troubles at the end of last season and tri-nations
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Bear

Post by Bear »

Yah... I feel sorry for him because he had a quite poor end to the season with the death of his mum, then came the try nations and he had a quite poor one,to be honest though i dont blame him. His mind must have been in 6 diffrent places.

He did well playing in them he has a massive heart.
turf

Post by turf »

I think that Fielden should ave his original number back like he had at Bradford. 27 or 37 was it, anyway it was something like that.

Anyway congrats to Ashton for recieving the number 1 jersey, he's thoroughly earned it after his performances last year.

He's only 19 isn't he I think at the moment, and as someone said before the competition for places will keep him (and the rest of the squad) on their toes.

If Ashton performs like he did last year then he needn't worry about loosing his place.

Ashton - young player of the year 2007!!!!!!!!!!!!
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

turf posted:
I think that Fielden should ave his original number back like he had at Bradford. 27 or 37 was it, anyway it was something like that.

Anyway congrats to Ashton for recieving the number 1 jersey, he's thoroughly earned it after his performances last year.

He's only 19 isn't he I think at the moment, and as someone said before the competition for places will keep him (and the rest of the squad) on their toes.

If Ashton performs like he did last year then he needn't worry about loosing his place.

Ashton - young player of the year 2007!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fielden was 29 at Bradford, if Ashtonn has 1 then that squad number is free.