Recruitment: To those who think anything has changed

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Recruitment: To those who think anything has changed

Post by cpwigan »

League Express this week quote by Nobby;

"When I knew we were interested in him, I was very keen to have him here"

:doz: Now the degree of control Lindsay has is open to debate but that quote proves beyond doubt that recruitment is driven from the top and not by the coach in the first instance.
shawcross da warrior

Re: Recruitment: To those who ...

Post by shawcross da warrior »

is that the link about trent barrett....

because i read something similar when nobby first joined
cpwigan

Re: Recruitment: To those ...

Post by cpwigan »

It is referring to Thomas Leuluai
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

But the interest Nobby refers to was being discussed long before Nobby got here with some claiming it was a done deal very early on.

I really don't think you can draw any conclusions about who signs the players until any who Mo might have signed before Nobby arrived have worked their way through the system so to speak.

But in any case as I mentioned in another thread who signed Withers?

Dave
BONES

Post by BONES »

When will people wake up to the fact that this is and always will be the way of things.
I am not saying that coaches get no input or that they cannot say who they want but the reality is that if the man at the top wants someone it does not matter if the coach does or not.

Every coach we have had has spoken about it after they leave at some point, some take longer than others and some never really say much due to gagging restrictions etc.

Its the way of life.

What makes me laugh is that every time we change coach the SAME people tell you he has been given total control. The Same people fall for it everytime.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

i agree Bones. The Leuliai deal was struck after IM left the club.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan posted:
i agree Bones. The Leuliai deal was struck after IM left the club.
But was being talked about long before that with (I think) people claiming he was going to sign for 2007 long before he did and before Millward left.

As I said you can't verify the claim Mo is calling the shots on signings as several of our "new" players were signed before Noble arrived. Next seasons signings will be very interesting from this respect.

That said Mo has said Noble has full control and I take the fact Withers is here a sign that there may be some truth in this. Why else is Withers here? He isn't a Mo style signing at all.

Dave[/quote]
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I thought this was interesting from the article in the URL at the end of this message:
And Warrington's chief money man, the pop impressario Simon Moran, instrumental in persuading Adrian Morley to return from the NRL, has ruled out offering a playing contract.
So it was Simon Moran, not Cullen that persuaded Morely to sign and Simon Moran that has decided the Union boys aren't playing for Wire on short term deals.

I bet Cullen is furious at being sidelined over these decisions asnd the Wire fans are up in arms over this meddlesome money man of theirs! :wink:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby/tm_ ... _page.html

Dave
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

That depends on whether he starts to tell Cullen where to play him Dave! :roll: