J.J.B BLUES

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
the grinch

J.J.B BLUES

Post by the grinch »

is it true that if the football team gets promoted we have to leave cos premiership teams cant share a ground with a rugby team. if so i can live with that as long as we get our own stadium. and after the football have spent 50 million quid on players and still got religated they can try to fill 25 thousand seats on ther own cos im sick of subsidising them
dont let your victories go to your head or your failures go to your heart
Fraggle

Re: J.J.B BLUES

Post by Fraggle »

Bradford shared Valley Parade, London shared Charlton, so why should we move out? Clearly no rules affected these two teams. As long as there are no fixture clashes then there should be no problem.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Ellie from the Block!

Post by Ellie from the Block! »

Latics are on a lucky winning run. But alternatively (like me) you can pray they do go up and we get our own ground run for rugby not football!!!!!
Knowing the Wigan Board they'll get no money for a new ground and end up doing a ground share with someone like Chorley!!!! Bring on Victory Park.

P.S. Don't be offended if you're a Chorley fan - at least your ground is in better condition than Knowsley Road!
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Erm, doesn't it take quite a while to get planning permission before even contemplating building a new stadium? I'm sure it must take a couple of years so if Latics do get promoted then we'd have one season at least of sharing. And if we share for 1 season, why not longer? And where would you put a new stadium anyway?

Personally I couldn't care less if we share with Latics or not. The fact remains that despite their highest-position-ever run at the moment, their last home crowd was under 10,000 which we've beaten on lots of occasions this year. They need us and the money we bring in, and I'm sure Mr Whelen, millions or not, will not entertain any thoughts of us leaving with the risk to his beloved soccer team.

I know it's not Central Park, but on the other hand the view over the pitch @ JJB is superb for everyone, compared to some older grounds where smaller people can't see large portions of the pitch because of the taller people in front or because of pillars holding up the roof (if there is one).
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Brian Edgar

Post by Brian Edgar »

You make some good points Fraggle. We've nothing to worry about. This issue was raised over a year ago when Whelan & Lindsey reported in the press that they had looked into it and received assurances from the soccer authorities that there would be no problem with a ground share. As for whether Whelan would want us out anyway.. I don't think so. There is a (high) risk that Latics flirtation with the big time will be a brief one whilst come what may the town's love affair with it's Rugby League club will stand the test of time. If you look at the near financial collapse of several clubs who have been up to the Premier league and then been relegated (e.g. Bradford City. Barnsley etc), do you think Whelan will force us out when realistically we guarantee decent crowds. Despite being top of the league, Latics struggled to get over 9000 fans in for the Watford game. This crowd was the second lowest in the division by some way. In other words, Latics don't have the pulling power or the long term potential to justify having the JJB to themselves. Don't worry, if we knocked up a pitch on Mesnes Park playing fields we'd still pull in more than them.

ITS STAYING RED
meat_heads

Post by meat_heads »

Chris posted:
Despite being top of the league, Latics struggled to get over 9000 fans in for the Watford game. This crowd was the second lowest in the division by some way.
Nice to see you spending time looking up latics attendence records and comparing them to the rest of the league. I take great pleasure in that!
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

I dont care what people think of me for saying this 'cause I know that Id pick rugby over footy anyday but Ive been listening (not watchin) to Latics every match and last year I was glad theyd gone up but Ive got to say Im sick of hearing about how theyre going up again this year, how many games is it, 7?
Anyway, IF someone has to move out of the JJb surely it'll be Latics cause if theyre playing teams like united ( you know 20 miles up the road with fans from all over the northwest, including wigan) I think they're gunna get a few more than 25 000 on.
Anyway, Ill still listen to them and hope for some good results even if all their fans are scouse helens fans.
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
Ellie from the Block!

Post by Ellie from the Block! »

Why are we bothering with this, Latics won't go up - they're just on a winning streak. Does make you wonder if a contingency plan is needed just in case miracles happen.