Ashton gets No 1 shirt

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Bear

Re: Ashton gets No 1 shirt

Post by Bear »

adrenalinxx posted:
turf posted:
I think that Fielden should ave his original number back like he had at Bradford. 27 or 37 was it, anyway it was something like that.

Anyway congrats to Ashton for recieving the number 1 jersey, he's thoroughly earned it after his performances last year.

He's only 19 isn't he I think at the moment, and as someone said before the competition for places will keep him (and the rest of the squad) on their toes.

If Ashton performs like he did last year then he needn't worry about loosing his place.

Ashton - young player of the year 2007!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fielden was 29 at Bradford, if Ashtonn has 1 then that squad number is free.
Good Point.
OOOOOO were the greatest club in the world!!!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

adrenalinxx posted:
I don't think we have 29 players declared to be in the first team squad and the RFL insist on squad numbers being consecutive with no gaps. So us wanting Fielden at 29 was seen by them as a "marketing ploy" so it is not allowed.

I find this utterly stupid because it isn't a marketing ploy IMO but even if it is, isn't that what the RFL want? For the clubs to improve marketing?

Dave
the-Bowtun-Warrior

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior »

Never really in doubt :lol:

Owen Coyles Super White Army!!!

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

DaveO posted:
adrenalinxx posted:
I don't think we have 29 players declared to be in the first team squad and the RFL insist on squad numbers being consecutive with no gaps. So us wanting Fielden at 29 was seen by them as a "marketing ploy" so it is not allowed.

I find this utterly stupid because it isn't a marketing ploy IMO but even if it is, isn't that what the RFL want? For the clubs to improve marketing?

Dave
I thought squad numbers were a marketing ploy? (and nicknames and mascots and good stadiums and changing kits every season ...)
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
LKC29

Post by LKC29 »

Good news for ashton and cracking managment job by Noble, but it still begs the question why buy withers if he is going to be second fiddle on possibly quite a good contract
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Mike posted:
I thought squad numbers were a marketing ploy? (and nicknames and mascots and good stadiums and changing kits every season ...)
Exactly but that is what I heard, that Fielden could not have 29 because it was considered a marketing ploy by the RFL.

Dave
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

good job Mo didn't mention this, he might have been accused of interfering :exc: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
snav2000

ashton

Post by snav2000 »

ashton is number 1 for this season has a lot to prove this season and i am sure he will as withers there to help him out and rads has shown him the ropes and no doubt said to him that he is going to be just like him a legend at wigan rads was one off the best full backs wigan ever had ashton will too be a great player if given the chance but i am sure nobby will bring out the best in him :cool:
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Mike posted:
And that changing to summer rugby was - so that we didn't compete so directly with wendyball and that the game was played in better conditions with less matches where it was hard to tell which players were on each team because of the mud.

Surely the more RL shirts that are sold the better? It won't make any difference to the salary cap as Wigan already spend the maximum (and sometimes more) that is allowed. Are members of the public less likely to buy a Fielden shirt because it doesn't have 29 on it?

Anyway, why was Fielden allowed to wear the number at the Bulls? Is their squad that much bigger than ours?

Is it the same reason that they pretty much escaped punishment for breaching the salary cap when they won super league - yet we were nearly relegated for the same offence?
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
JohnOK

Post by JohnOK »

What number shirts do the rest of the squad have?