Ganson

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Matthew

Re: Ganson

Post by Matthew »

I, like Jimmy have trawled through this thread with interest.

I think that the biggest problem with refereeing in SL is the man at the top. Cummins was an arrogant inconsistent ref and as a result seems to have a staff of referees in a similar vein.

Ganson is inconsitent at best. The incorrect POTB penalty showed that. If you are going to penalise one - then you have to penalise them all - especially when the penalty is in the "offending" teams half. You can't choose one when it suits you.

I've had no dealings with Ganson; however he comes across very similar to Harrigan in Australia - not very well. A self important, petty ego maniac. He warned Lockers for talking to him after he awarded (yet another) penalty against Wigan - yet he was happy to share a laugh and a joke with cry baby briers at every opportunity.

Ultimately he spoiled the game as a spectacle - never more so when he couldn't be bothered to run to the mark to allow Calderwood the chance to run a quick tap. Such things are what make League Superior to union - fast quick paced attacking rugby.

Obviously Rob has to defend SL referees - as I would imagine that he has aspirations one day to become one. If you are successful Rob, then I hope you do a better job than has been displayed so far this season - because referees like Ganson do the game no favours
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

robjoenz posted:
DaveO posted:
The problem was Gansen penalised us for this but then did not apply the same pedantic ruling to the opposition.
Discipline wise, Wigan were worse than Warrington.
I was referring to the PTB's not discipline. He penalised us twice for incorrect PTB's but there was a blatant one in the build up to the second Warrington try.

It a ref is going to penalise incorrect PTB's he has to scrutinise them all and treat them all the same way.
You are a ref so what is the guideline for refs on the restart? I mean when are they supposed to blow the whistle?
When the referee is on the 30 m line facing the 20 m line in order to see the tap.
OK so in the interests of a flowing game isn't it the job of the ref to get into position quickly and not slow it down to give the opposition time to re-group? Or are there no guidelines on that?
The reason you lose control is that you may miss something. If you've not made it to the 30 m line would you spot a knock on? Do you know if he actually tapped it. When the tackle is complete it's unlikely that the referee will be back the next ten metres to mark the defensive line.
But all of that is true for any quick passage of play. If a break is made, a player tackled, a quick PTB taken to exploit the lack of defensive numbers there is a good chance the ref will be a long way behind the play. Do the players have to wait to PTB until the ref is in position so he can spot anything that goes wrong? Of course not.

It is needless hold up of play IMO for no great reason given the rest of the game does not take place for the referees convenience. Although I am starting to think otherwise!
The purpose of waiting for the whistle is for the referee to show he is ready.
If the players are ready the ref should be ready and by that I mean ready to blow his whistle not necessarily be in the optimum position.
So did you call any penalties for incorrect PTB other than those two Ganson gave? If not why not because they were not the only two in the game?
A few more, yes. Mainly from us.
Even if you only called one more and whoever did it, it proves my point.

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

One aspect that concerned me re Briers was after hock lifted him, he feigned injury and looked to the referee. That is a dangerous road al a football for RL to be travelling down. The obstruction ruling has also encouraged footballer like behaviour IMO.
x-laura-lvz-calderwood-x

Post by x-laura-lvz-calderwood-x »

Briers is always doing stuff like that. He's a big baby and needs a slap. There'll be someone other than us lot who has seen it and he'll get told, especially if he keeps jumping up and down like a nutter if desicions don't go his way.
'Sexy Mark' On The Shirt.. Get Innn!

'WAG' In ze making!

Staying up, Staying up, Staying up!

And it's Wigan Rugby,
Wigan Rugby FC,
We're by FAR the greatest team,
The world has ever seen =]
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Couldnt agree with you more about the blatent cheating by Ganson. Same quick taps on the 25 by Hull KR & Wakefield were all allowed to go freely by Klien on Saturday. Wire were more blatent at the play the ball tan us, but he chose to ignore the twenty or so 'non play the balls by the Wire. The knees in Fletch's back could be seen by the man with the white stick sitting next to me, but Ganson had his deflective goggles on again. He even wasted time in the last couple of minutes of the game by making us re-scrum, blaming Thommy for not feeding the scrum correctly, knowing we were pressing their line. We didnt play well, had no game plan, but the little arsehole in the middle made sure we were getting nothing out of this game. He was well worth the 6 point difference.