Wigan fans in Cardiff

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
WiganWarrior

Re: Wigan fans in Cardiff

Post by WiganWarrior »

cuckoo_2 posted:
So Wigan v St Helens is expected to attract 25,000, incuding neutrals from all the other clubs plus locals. How many are Wigan taking, then? Certainly nowhere near the 27,500 that followed Latics to Cardiff last season. Maybe you're all staying in town for the Boro match which will be another 20,000+ attendance tomorrow.
Would you get that crowd if it wasnt for the reduced prices i dont think so
Wigan til i Die !!!!

"Its like a game of union the ball disappears for 3-4 tackles then appears to be kicked" BBC GMR
stevocod

Post by stevocod »

Matthew posted:
FROM A TO B posted:
pie eaters posted:
LETS GO TO WALES STORMING AND F*****G KILL THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ah, glad to see Pie Eaters back to his best incisive and astute outlook on life.
Have tou ether thought of writing a thesis on your wonderous thoughts?
He just did...
Or just take that attitude to Iraq, if that is your perception on life in general.
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

cuckoo_2 posted:
So Wigan v St Helens is expected to attract 25,000, incuding neutrals from all the other clubs plus locals. How many are Wigan taking, then? Certainly nowhere near the 27,500 that followed Latics to Cardiff last season. Maybe you're all staying in town for the Boro match which will be another 20,000+ attendance tomorrow.
Hello cuculus canorus, glad (not) to see you are back in yet another guise.
A poor attempt a trolling even by your standards, I would have thought by now you would have been more adept at posting spurious mails whilst trying to justify your pathetic existence.

Anyway, back to the point around the crowd.
Personally, I do not think this Cardiff experience is a good idea, as it has made the league matches totally unbalanced. However, in defence of RL in general, how many other sports could bring together local derbies and play 3 matches in the same day without the need for riot police?

Enjoy the remainder of your season.

All together now.
Wigan road, take me home
To the place I belong
Wigan rugby, not the Latics
Take me home Wigan road

:lol: :lol:
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Bear

Post by Bear »

Nobby`s Girl posted:
Had a txt from my mate who went, said the atmosphere was crap and was full of sh1t helens fans...Lets wait for all the other opinions when they get back.
The quins game atmosphere was a disgrace :lol: The atmosphere wasnt so good but the crowds were brilliant. It was a great day out. Stood outside a pub with a big set of Hull FC fans, saw Barry McDermott and stevo. The Village peiople played tik and pass with a few Wiganers. If you ask me it was a great day out for all Rugby fans. Not a single bit of trouble :)
OOOOOO were the greatest club in the world!!!!
pedro

Post by pedro »

Big letdown for me 35000 for 6 teams and 2 of the biggest derbies is a total letdown.

Atmosphere was terrible as the stadium was empty and all the fans were scattered everywhere.

RFL have messed up a treat again!
Bear

Post by Bear »

That was the only let down yeah the atmosphere
OOOOOO were the greatest club in the world!!!!
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

My weekend was very good. We stayed in Bath and it was great to get to Cardiff and find the whole city full of RL kits of all types. Great atmosphere in the pubs and town around the ground, and a unique one inside the Millennium. I've not been in there with the roof closed, and I would say that its a bit weird, kind of eerie at first. Its good to see all the neutrals picking a side and getting behind them, but its always going to be easy to drift away from paying full attention to all the games as you don't really care that much about any of them except your own. Its a bit like an american sporting event in that sense - the game sometimes feels like its going on in the background.

I especially liked the way you could sit anywhere in the ground (on the tear your ticket let you in on) and could exit and reenter the stadium if you wanted to go for food in the city or something. They certainly weren't trying to trap you in the stadium to rip you off with food etc.

One downside was not being able to get to teh Celtic Crusaders match on Friday, beacuse no train could get us back to bath after the game - bloody privatisation of public transport (its a public service, not a mechanism to make money....)

I would definately go back next year and would hope that in year 3 we would be getting an aggregate of over 80,000 i.e. over half full on both days. The atmosphere in the matches is never going to approach that generated by 40,000 partisan fans because over half will always be neutrals, but I think there are several upsides to the concept.

As the huddersfeld coach Jon Sharp mentioned, the weekend has a sort of "cup-final" feeling about it and that is something that many players and clubs don't often experience. I would imagine this experience will help the players when they do get to a genuine final, and potentially help GB players get used to that "big match feeling" by participating more regularly. We don't have state of origin and thats where the Aussie get their big-game composure. The other issue is that after we shifted the Challenge Cup final to the end of the season, we don't have any big events before august bank holiday. We need focal point events to retain some media interest throughout the season.

Overall, I'd give it the thumbs up and hope that it grows in popularity until its an accepted part of the calender. I wouldn't force it on anyone how is against it, but the grand final turned out alright didn't it, and the 32,000 attendence on the first day is almost as many as the attendence for the first GF. If this event gains acceptence at the rate of the GF, we might have another success on our hands (shurely not!)
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
ste lord

Post by ste lord »

just returned from cardiff very good weekend.some good games and plenty ale supped.

Defo go back again.

Keep Wigan "Wigan"

ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

pie eaters posted:
IM TELLING YOU IF I ENDED UP GOING TO CARDIFF I WOULD OF F*****G DESTROYED ALL THOSE COCKY LITTLE SCOUSERS
"Rugby League is a family sport"

The RFL affirms its commitment to the equal treatment of all and will not tolerate discrimination on the grounds of age, ethnic origin, gender, special needs, including learning and physical disabilities, class or social background, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, colour or political persuasion.
(therfl.com

The it goes on to say that it does not recognise Merseyside in any of it's equality policies.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Leyther Pie

Post by Leyther Pie »

Well put Mike. I went for the weekend and thought it was well worth the money. Went to all six games and had a good laugh with all the fans( including saints). Was good to see the Bradford and leeds fans cheering for us for once :lol: . Bring on next year and just hope the popularity increases by word of mouth to really give it a better atmosphere. IMO well done to the RFL for attempting and succeding with a great weekend :eusa2:
I've never felt more like singing the Blues
When the Wiganers win and the Leythers lose.