Quality Players

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
adrenalinxx

Re: Quality Players

Post by adrenalinxx »

standishwarrior posted:
id sooner buy a player that is gonna come in and improve the team! the players we have been linked with coley, fitzpatrick and david hogdson imo wont improve the squad atall
There is no guarantee that someone with a great reputation is going to improve the squad. Sometimes an average player comes into a squad and improve them because he suits that team better. Just look at the team who won the Challenge Cup today, they get the best out of the players because each player is suited for that team.

The problem at Wigan is they by players with great reputation and don't think about how they fit into the squad. Moran and Orr is the best example, both good players but to similar to play in the same team.
standishwarrior

Post by standishwarrior »

adrenalinxx posted:
standishwarrior posted:
id sooner buy a player that is gonna come in and improve the team! the players we have been linked with coley, fitzpatrick and david hogdson imo wont improve the squad atall
There is no guarantee that someone with a great reputation is going to improve the squad. Sometimes an average player comes into a squad and improve them because he suits that team better. Just look at the team who won the Challenge Cup today, they get the best out of the players because each player is suited for that team.

The problem at Wigan is they by players with great reputation and don't think about how they fit into the squad. Moran and Orr is the best example, both good players but to similar to play in the same team.

imo we shouldnt be signing average players!and the team who won the cup they play brilliant rugby but they are full of internationals!
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Dave you have made a statement there about Fielden being off form,can you or anyone else tell me when he is going to be on form because i have not seen it yet apart from the odd 20 minute burst. This man cost us a world record fee and must be on a massive contract. Surely it is time to say that he is not good enough to be a Wigan player.I have many replies to my posts accusing me of not being a true Wigan supporter just because i have critised Stuart. I am sure the lad does his best but he is overrated and has been a bad buy for us.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

old hooker posted:
Dave you have made a statement there about Fielden being off form,can you or anyone else tell me when he is going to be on form because i have not seen it yet apart from the odd 20 minute burst. This man cost us a world record fee and must be on a massive contract. Surely it is time to say that he is not good enough to be a Wigan player.I have many replies to my posts accusing me of not being a true Wigan supporter just because i have critised Stuart. I am sure the lad does his best but he is overrated and has been a bad buy for us.
He may have been off form but without the impact his signing made last year both on and more importantly off the field we would be in NL1 ,so not a bad buy he as returned the money we paid for him, relegation would of cost us a lot more .
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

standishwarrior posted:
imo we shouldnt be signing average players!and the team who won the cup they play brilliant rugby but they are full of internationals!
The salary cap prevents Wigan going out and buying a full squad of internationals, you have to have a squad that brings out the best in every player, sometimes that means just having someone who will do the hard work during a match.

The Saints squad is full of international because they have been playing in a very good side, they weren't all internationals when when they were signed, those who were have fitted into the squad well that can not be said about some of the Wigan players like Fielden and DV who's form has been dreadful at Wigan.
jao 711

Post by jao 711 »

i agree ,none of those players mentioned are good enough.coley turned us down once to stay at salford,no ambition,and shows a tendancy to go missing too.
Shevi 4 life

Post by Shevi 4 life »

adrenalinxx posted:
standishwarrior posted:
The salary cap prevents Wigan going out and buying a full squad of internationals, you have to have a squad that brings out the best in every player, sometimes that means just having someone who will do the hard work during a match.

Saints squad is full of international because they have been playing in a very good side, they weren't all internationals when when they were signedse who were have fitted into the squad well that can not be said about some of the Wigan players like Fielden and DV who's form has been dreadful at Wigan.
1.paul wellens been at stains in all his career
2.ade gardner " "
3.matthew gidley aussie test centre and state of origin player before he came to stains
4.wille talou NZ test centre before he came to stains
5.francis meli Nz test winger before he came to stains
6.leon pryce GB player at bradford
7.sean long started his international career at stains
8.nick fozzard started his international career somewhere else(i think)
9.kieron cunnigham been at stains all his career
10.jason cayless Nz prop before stains
11.lee gilmour not sure
12.jon wilkin made international debut at stains
13.paul sculthorpe started his international career at warrington

So no your wrong stains have signed all internationals and are under the cap wonder how they do it?

[/b]
There expanding knowsley road from 3 car park spaces to 4
Susi

Post by Susi »

IMO They probably use the sponsor money (You kerion cunnningham sponsored by fat g**s inc) towards players wages. Lets also not forget they have had some of their good players for some time and the new boys taking their places i.e wilkin hardman roby tyrer have had chance to grow and learn from a consistant team.
We for many years have had so many different players and crocked imports, the consistancy never starts and when we do get and up and coming young player the Kn*b heads at the top let them go.
It's like Leeds they have all played together for a long time an awful lt of them have come through all the acadamys together and have been playing as a team from about 16 year olds.
We need to look long term instead of knee jerk reactions and keep up an comig talent. Perhaps now mo and whelan going we may get a chance to buy decent players, instead of those on the increae my retiremnt fund, don't care how i play got me money attitude.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

mrs feka posted:
IMO They probably use the sponsor money (You kerion cunnningham sponsored by fat g**s inc) towards players wages.
No they don't as that is covered by the salary cap. If it was that easy to get around the salary cap every club would be doing it.
We need to look long term instead of knee jerk reactions and keep up an comig talent. Perhaps now mo and whelan going we may get a chance to buy decent players, instead of those on the increae my retiremnt fund, don't care how i play got me money attitude.
The question is how do Saints keep their upcoming players - like Roby at the same time as signing players like Gidley and Calyless - test players? Roby will want paying a decent wage and I think he has just signed a four year deal at Saints. I don't see anyone of note leaving to make way.

Roby won't be on £25K or less any more. So the question remains, how are Sainta managing to retain players that come through their ranks, pay them an improved wage when they get that bit more experienced AND continue to sign current internationals yet remain under the salary cap?

Dave
Lazy J

Post by Lazy J »

DaveO posted:

How are Sainta managing to retain players that come through their ranks, pay them an improved wage when they get that bit more experienced AND continue to sign current internationals yet remain under the salary cap?

Dave
Simple thier chairman is a highley experienced merchant banker with knowlegde of overseas banking, ours is a rails bookie with a dodgy version of excel to do his calculations on :D
There are 10 types of people, those who get binary and those who dont!