Coley confirmed

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Coley confirmed

Post by DaveO »

Fujiman posted:
pie eaters posted:
I think he is a decent player and a solid one at that. Every team as a player who just does the simple things right.
I agree. Thats what we've missed. Players doing the simple things right
I agree but Coley is, I think, topping the stats list for most penalties conceded by a SL player this year.

Dave
jinkin jimmy

Post by jinkin jimmy »

Given that we have been trying to sign Coley for over 2 years, is this a Nobby signing?

In any event I am prepared to wait and see. At the time I thought Guisset was going to be a bad signing.....
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

jinkin jimmy posted:
Given that we have been trying to sign Coley for over 2 years, is this a Nobby signing?

In any event I am prepared to wait and see. At the time I thought Guisset was going to be a bad signing.....
I think it must be. Just reading Biting Back by MG and in it he states that Mo didn't rate Coley when MG wanted to sign him
bertina

Post by bertina »

jinkin jimmy posted:
DaveO posted:
GeoffN posted:
Now confirmed on the club site:

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news_full.asp?newsid=3225
A two year deal. Oh well, roll on 2010.

Dave
Give him a chance!! :angry:
Dead right JJ. Sometimes the club just can't win
they sign a "big name" and they are blowing all the salary cap. They sign a British lad on the fringes of the GB team and they are slated before he's even got his Wigan jersey on. :conf:
bertina

Post by bertina »

pie eaters posted:
I think he is a decent player and a solid one at that. Every team as a player who just does the simple things right.
I agree. If we had just done the simple things right this season we would have won a lot more matches.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

bertina posted:
jinkin jimmy posted:
DaveO posted: A two year deal. Oh well, roll on 2010.

Dave
Give him a chance!! :angry:
they sign a "big name" and they are blowing all the salary cap. They sign a British lad on the fringes of the GB team and they are slated before he's even got his Wigan jersey on. :conf:
Spot on, I think Wigan are doing the right thing. My fear however that they are doing it not because they are being sensible but because they genuinely can't afford to do anything else. If that makes sense?
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

gpartin posted:
bertina posted:
jinkin jimmy posted: Give him a chance!! :angry:
Spot on, I think Wigan are doing the right thing. My fear however that they are doing it not because they are being sensible but because they genuinely can't afford to do anything else. If that makes sense?
I think it's more likely they're doing it to re-balance the budget of the team.

For too long we've had mega-earners and poverty-row guys in the same squad, and it hasn't made for harmony. I also think we're trying to channel more cash to our U21s, who, by all accounts, were ready to walk out on us until they heard that a new administration was coming in.

It may be painful for us, but though I agree in principle with those who feel we'll only improve by signing better players than we've currently got (I've said this myself on a number of occasions), we won't necessarily have to got for the hugely costly mega-stars to pull this off. There are decent players around who won't be massively expensive (though I will admit that Coley, on his own, won't satisfy me in this respect).

I'm assuming David Hodgson is another casualty of this policy, because no way is he worth the money some punters have claimed he was asking.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Ifrebalancing the team is the idea behind it then Wigan should be applauded. Its not before time!!
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

bertina

Post by bertina »

Cruncher posted:
The premature throat-cutting over Coley is leaving me a little bemused, to be honest.

If he was the only player we were signing, then I too would be disappointed. But both Mo and Noble have gone on the record saying they'll be bringing more new players in for 2008.

Don't you guys think we should wait a while before stampeding to the season ticket bonfire? It's not as if Coley's a terrible player. He isn't. His game has weaknesses, but he can also be pretty effective. The other thing is, we all knew we were signing him several weeks ago, so why everyone's sudddenly getting annoyed now is puzzling me.

Two things: Firstly - patience. He won't be our only signing and, like it or not, we can make use of him because we need another prop (even without Fletch, we already have three pretty decent second rowers. Secondly - solidarity. Coley is now a Wigan player - and, as can be seen from the vitriol being heaped on him at Salford and in other places (even on the Hudds board of all place :lol: ), that's no easy thing for a guy. But basically he's one of us now, so we should welcome him with open arms and give him a chance to prove his worth.
:eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2:
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

gpartin posted:
Ifrebalancing the team is the idea behind it then Wigan should be applauded. Its not before time!!
In reality i dont think there is any money to spend on players in my previous thread i highlited who was leaving a rough guess (must say catagoricallly that it just my guess as to what players wages were)as to what the players were on Vaeliki £140.000
Fletcher £90.000
Withers £45.000
Ashton £30.000
comes to roughly £300.000 and the credit note around £70.000 (going off the deffered payments over the 3 seasons)£220.000 divided by 3
If we were to replace all 6 players (2 squad members short last year)it works out about on average £60.000
not much leeway .