Re: Feka Charged with GBH

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

DaveO posted:
FROM A TO B posted:
As already stated, being charged does not mean found guilty.
we weren't there, we don't know the circumstances.
I know "there's no smoke without fire", but lets just hang on and wait until the outcome rather than mere speculation
I am not sure what you mean by the above. As Cruncher says this is a serious issue. Both for Feka and the club. So I would expect people to want to discuss the implications of the outcome.

Provided people do this in a reasonable manner with due respect to the site rules that should be OK.

What he has been charged with is not a minor offence and could end up with a custodial sentence if found guilty.

That would be a personal disaster for him and it would be yet another disaster for the club that has had far too many in recent years.

If he is found guilty and if that results in a custodial sentence I can't see how Wigan can do anything other than sack him, even if they think it was totally out of character and even if there were extenuating circumstances.

It is a big concern because at this late stage to possibly lose one of our three experienced props. It would be a disaster.

I just hope he gets off because I have a horrible feeling if he doesn't he will end up inside.

Dave
I'm worried that you may be right. The outcome of previous cases is not encouraging.

If memory serves, Joe Lydon was once acquitted of assault on the grounds of extreme provocation, but that was against a fan who'd invaded the playing area immediately after a match. Feka's alleged offence took place in Wigan town centre at 5 o'clock in the morning! That's not too impressive.

The other thing to worry about is that, quite often with athletes like rugby players, boxers, martial arts guys etc, previous good character is not deemed to be as important as the fact that they're extremely fit and highly trained. Courts often take the view that, because of their physical superiority, these guys have even more of a responsibility not to get involved in aggro.

Let's hope and pray that this issue is dealt with to our satisfaction at the first hearing. We really don't need this hanging over us as the new season approaches.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Cruncher posted:
The other thing to worry about is that, quite often with athletes like rugby players, boxers, martial arts guys etc, previous good character is not deemed to be as important as the fact that they're extremely fit and highly trained. Courts often take the view that, because of their physical superiority, these guys have even more of a responsibility not to get involved in aggro.
With regard to when Clarke was sent down it has been suggested it was because he was a martial arts expert as opposed to a rugby player. I am not sure the courts will see any distinction especially given Feka's obvious physical stature. That is my concern and why I fear and why I fear Feka may get a harsh sentence if convicted.
Let's hope and pray that this issue is dealt with to our satisfaction at the first hearing. We really don't need this hanging over us as the new season approaches.
I agree if it goes to crown court the trial could be months away and neither Feka nor the club want this hanging over them/it for the 2008 season

Dave
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

The fact of the matter is he's done it and the police have CCTV footage of the incident. It all depends on whether the guy who was assaulted is a hostile witness or is willingly charging him. CCTV footage isn't the be all and end all becuase there is no sound so threats etc can't be heard.
ince warrior

Post by ince warrior »

DaveO posted:
Cruncher posted:
With regard to when Clarke was sent down it has been suggested it was because he was a martial arts expert as opposed to a rugby player. I am not sure the courts will see any distinction especially given Feka's obvious physical stature. That is my concern and why I fear and why I fear Feka may get a harsh sentence if convicted.
I agree if it goes to crown court the trial could be months away and neither Feka nor the club want this hanging over them/it for the 2008 season

Dave
its funny you should say that because i heard a rumour that Feka was being sacked by Wigan quite soon, IF that is true then this could be the reason. I personally doubt it will happen though, and also think that if he is convicted his sentence will probably be a big fine and maybe some community service (Willie Manu I think got that when he got convicted of assault)... also iv read on this message board a few weeks ago that the bus driver has a track record of trying to get compensation like this? if so then that will probably swing in Fekas favour.
WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGAN!!!

WRLFC & SCFC FOR LIFE!!!

WE HATE LATICS, SAINTS, MACCLESFIELD, BURNLEY, CITY, LEEDS, WIRE AND WREXHAM!!!!
the-Bowtun-Warrior

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior »

Cruncher posted:
the-Bowtun-Warr ior posted:
FEKA's gona get ya!

:lol:

Go on FEKA lad!

He'l be reet! unless the RFL carry out the hearing then on terms of wearing a cherry and white shirt he'l get a life sentance :lol:
This sounds worryingly like a post made by someone who doesn't think this is a serious issue.
whats serious? come on boys, if he's charged then we'l woory!

god no1 can have any fun on this board anymore for the killjoys!

grow up!
Owen Coyles Super White Army!!!

BriH

Post by BriH »

The trial will undoubtedly hear of any mitigating circumstances in his defence. However, as previously mentioned, GBH is a serious offence. As always, we will just have to wait and see.
Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

Cruncher posted:
FEKA's gona get ya!

:lol:

Go on FEKA lad!

He'l be reet! unless the RFL carry out the hearing then on terms of wearing a cherry and white shirt he'l get a life sentance :lol:
This sounds worryingly like a post made by someone who doesn't think this is a serious issue.
whats serious? come on boys, if he's charged then we'l woory!

god no1 can have any fun on this board anymore for the killjoys!

grow up!
Were you by any chance rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic?
the-Bowtun-Warrior

Ah come on give over.

i meant no ofense by it i was just trying to liven up the place!

appologies if i caused any offense :doz:

Cruncher

Post by Cruncher »

Ah come on give over.

i meant no ofense by it i was just trying to liven up the place!

appologies if i caused any offense :doz:
Don't worry, no offence has been caused.

And I agree, there's no point cutting our throats just yet. But I think people are right to be concerned. We may end up one prop down at just the wrong time.
the-Bowtun-Warrior

Cruncher posted:
Don't worry, no offence has been caused.

And I agree, there's no point cutting our throats just yet. But I think people are right to be concerned. We may end up one prop down at just the wrong time.[/quote]

agreed...i understood every1's worry but as said, nothing confirmed yet! hopefully he'l get a slapped wrist!