Lockers

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ian.birchall

Re: Lockers

Post by ian.birchall »

I have said it before but it is still true that in serious matches where we are getting a kicking Loughlin is simply not mentally strong enough to be Captain and that makes no allowance for the fact that he is not good enough for Wigan in any case
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote:A few of our best captains didn't say much but led by example - Hanley, Bell for instance you don't need to scream and ball at players for them to play well.
Lockers can't hold a candle to those players as a captain or a player. He simply isn't a good enough player for the example he sets to be motivation enough for the other players.

In any case there comes a time when it IS necessary to yell at players (the game yesterday being a prime example) and he just can't or won't do it.

Dave
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

DaveO wrote:
josie andrews wrote:A few of our best captains didn't say much but led by example - Hanley, Bell for instance you don't need to scream and ball at players for them to play well.
Lockers can't hold a candle to those players as a captain or a player. He simply isn't a good enough player for the example he sets to be motivation enough for the other players.

In any case there comes a time when it IS necessary to yell at players (the game yesterday being a prime example) and he just can't or won't do it.

Dave

Can anyone?

But you can't just keep going on about Lockers the whole team let us down yesterday and I was as pi**ed off as anyone. :( I've never left a game before the end but did yesterday :(
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

If i were to choose it would be hansen or hock.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
fitzy

Post by fitzy »

make hock captain he may get banned but its because he shows passion, hock is proud to where the shirt and I think the players should be glad he didn't play yesterday as he would have thrown them into the stands for the fans to let them know what they think
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

How can you make Hock elkapitano when he spends half the match on his arse in the sinbin or worse still band ?
XIII

Post by XIII »

fitzy wrote: make hock captain he may get banned but its because he shows passion, hock is proud to where the shirt and I think the players should be glad he didn't play yesterday as he would have thrown them into the stands for the fans to let them know what they think
I'm sorry mate, but Lockers has as much passion and love for this club than anyone. A Captain has to be on the pitch for most of,if not all of the game, and from what I'm aware Lockers was made captain because he'll be at the club for a long time, not like Trent. As for Feilden being mentioned, half of the people on here keep slagging him off too. I'm just glad I'm not Nobby.
Wigan Till I Die!!

We've had Barrett and Kenny, Edwards and Hanley, Boston and 8 IN A ROW!!!
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Another O'Loughlin thread.

I saw him at Nando's once, and my work twice.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote:
DaveO wrote:

Dave

Can anyone?
It doesn't matter. IMO the captaincy is detrimental to Lockers game so if we had a deaf mute playing for us, giving it to him would be a better option because it just might improve Lockers game. It wouldn't solve the captaincy problem but it would at least improve the team as Lockers may just start to show the form he does for GB in a Wigan shirt.
But you can't just keep going on about Lockers the whole team let us down yesterday and I was as pi**ed off as anyone. :( I've never left a game before the end but did yesterday :(
If we see an issue with the captaincy I can't see how we can't go on about Lockers. It is one thing that is wrong with the team and is one thing that could be changed and we need to make some changes.

We have limited scope for major changes with most players on contract but things we could change are:

Give the captaincy to anyone else.

Drop Goulding and put Baily back in the centres to try and shore up that side of the defence.

Drop Colbon and put Calderwood back in to get some pace into the side.

If it were not for the fact Fielden is the obvious choice for captain you might even drop him.

Another more radical idea is drop Lockers, move Barrett to 13 and play Sam Tomkins at 6.

It's got to the stage where changes of this order are needed because sticking with the same 17 in the same positions with the same captain is going to get us no where.

Unfortunately I expect us to line up the same bar Hock v 'Haven.

Dave
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

nathan_rugby wrote:If i were to choose it would be hansen or hock.
Hocks the only one passionate enough about Wigan. pity he hasnt got the brains for the job.

Hansen can't be captain because he isnt good enough and isn't even 1st choice when everyones fit.

I would do what the new england manager is doing. trying a different one each week then choosing the best in the close season.

Another option is to send someone on to the pitch after a try to dish it out. Like at salford with Jimmy Lowes.

Send Shaun Wane on, then stand back...