Lockers

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Lockers

Post by josie andrews »

XIII wrote:
fitzy wrote: make hock captain he may get banned but its because he shows passion, hock is proud to where the shirt and I think the players should be glad he didn't play yesterday as he would have thrown them into the stands for the fans to let them know what they think
I'm sorry mate, but Lockers has as much passion and love for this club than anyone. A Captain has to be on the pitch for most of,if not all of the game, and from what I'm aware Lockers was made captain because he'll be at the club for a long time, not like Trent. As for Feilden being mentioned, half of the people on here keep slagging him off too. I'm just glad I'm not Nobby.
I'm glad you have said that X111, cos I am sick of telling people that. I've seen Lockers when he has been very upset after a loss no matter how small and his heart is for this club and its fans. I looked at him a few times through binoculars yesterday and he was absolutely gutted, he can't do everything on his own, thats why there are 17 in the team, and he stays on that pitch for the full 80 mins as you said. But perhaps we are making Fielden into the scapegoat? is it not because he he is so high profile that we look to him to get us through the defence make gaps for the others to go thru, and when he makes mistakes they are highlighted because of who he is?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote:
XIII wrote:
fitzy wrote: make hock captain he may get banned but its because he shows passion, hock is proud to where the shirt and I think the players should be glad he didn't play yesterday as he would have thrown them into the stands for the fans to let them know what they think
I'm sorry mate, but Lockers has as much passion and love for this club than anyone. A Captain has to be on the pitch for most of,if not all of the game, and from what I'm aware Lockers was made captain because he'll be at the club for a long time, not like Trent. As for Feilden being mentioned, half of the people on here keep slagging him off too. I'm just glad I'm not Nobby.
I'm glad you have said that X111, cos I am sick of telling people that. I've seen Lockers when he has been very upset after a loss no matter how small and his heart is for this club and its fans. I looked at him a few times through binoculars yesterday and he was absolutely gutted,
So he's gutted. Is that a qualification for being captain?

I am sure he is gutted but what has this got to do with him being a good captain or not?

If instead of just looking gutted he actually took charge of the team on the pitch and told those off who needed it and encouraged the young players etc etc there would not be a problem.
he can't do everything on his own, thats why there are 17 in the team, and he stays on that pitch for the full 80 mins as you said.
There is only one captain on the pitch. Only the captain can do that job, on his own, so it's a question of is he doing the job properly. I think the answer is an obvious no.

Dave
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

finally people are coming to there senses
CP now defending him

i felt ashamed on sunday , for the first time in over 45 years of watching Wigan ugby league

no passion , no commitment, no balls, bo guts , not even a glimour of pride

Lockers was just one of the non entities playing out there

it is time now for a complete clear out

Starting with that no knobb NOBLE

I HAVE WAITED TO SEND ANYTHING ABOUT THE GAME BECAUSE IF I HAD COME ON ON SUNDAY I WOULD PROBABLY HAVE BEEN BANNED FOR WHAT I WANTED TO SAY
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

I think we all understand where the problem areas are. One being the captaincy and the other being players performances.

I have been one to critisise bailey for this years average performances but i 100% agree with moving him to centre. So many times last year we said, he is great in defence but offers us nothing in attack. We have nothing to lose.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

No knee-jerk reactions, but, I do favour DaveO suggestion of playing Barrett at lock with trialling S. Tomkins at 6.

The replacing of the suspect Goulding with Bailey is a "must" though.

My own thoughts are that Wigan "look" more solid with Richards at full back - maybe this would allow the return of Calderwood?
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

butt monkey wrote: My own thoughts are that Wigan "look" more solid with Richards at full back - maybe this would allow the return of Calderwood?
Well I have been an advocate of getting Richards back on the wing as that is his best position. I still think it is because while we may look solid at FB with him there a Radlinski try scoring type of full back he isn't.

Unfortunately playing Richards on the wing requires a full back up to the job and much to my disappointment Mathers isn't showing up well enough.

I had high hopes for him at FB thus allowing Richards back on the wing. This I thought, would be a real improvement to the team.

Sadly I think we can write this season off once again so we may as well give Mathers enough rope to hang himself or to prove he is up to it.

I do have a bit of sympathy for him and the other backs as our pack is so poor they are faced with far too much to do defensively but a bit of a better technique tackling from him would at least make my sympathy justified.

Dave
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

Agreed DaveO, I too have been very unimpressed with Mathers "efforts" so far this season. For that reason I think, long-term Richards may be a better option at fb
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

so why not try Mathers on the wing, he is still fairly quick, and after all Pat is by far our best option at fb
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

My posts have always been pro Lockers. I have defended him time and time again because I believed he was an excellent player. However, at the present time his form is awful.

The captaincy. What is sad is that there is not a single captain in the entire Wigan squad. The great era produced umpteen captains. at times a single Wigan team had half a dozen players capable of being captain. Today, NONE and guess what there are none in the reserves or academy teams. Sam tOmkins hassome leadership ability that is about it.
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

josie andrews wrote: But perhaps we are making Fielden into the scapegoat? is it not because he he is so high profile that we look to him to get us through the defence make gaps for the others to go thru, and when he makes mistakes they are highlighted because of who he is?
In the sense that people look at how much of the cap he takes up, yes, exactly. It's a "value for money" thing. If he was on the same sort of wage as Prescott or O'Carroll, then fair enough, but he's probably on something like 8 times their wage.