WIGAN TONIGHT

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
lucky 13

Re: WIGAN TONIGHT

Post by lucky 13 »

cpwigan wrote:
Matthew wrote:How was Mathers at Fullback? (I am presuming that is where he played)

Was it a case of him starting to sort out his defence or did he have nothing to do?

Who got MOM?
No defence needed. We hardly had to make any tackles. He tries, he's keen but he just never breaks a tackle. Tonight he had quite a lot of ball but never broke a tackle. Be interesting to see Phelps at fullback.

We need a fullback that can support play. Hansen made a 50 yard break in the first half. Had Rads / Ashton been playing for us it would have been a wonderful try. Likewise Feka was having a ball tonight, just needed more players pushing through to support him.
I still stick by my first impression of Phelps , he looks like a player , he has played in a few positions and looks more than adequate in all , he seems to read the game well and think he would link the play well from fullback and has enough pace to exploit a gap if he keeps it up would be worth a contract?

Thought Mathers was gaining in confidence but had little to do defence wise at least with him and Smith we have some organization and the team has a voice.
Smith looks to be the general we have lacked for sometime a joy to watch one of his passes even though forward was fantastic(if that makes sense)his stepping to the other side of the PTB is simple but so good he set Baz up perfectly and allowed him to play like the ''STANDOFF'' we know he is again a joy he also gave Fielden ball that he could run on to with confidence and I think it matters where he his concerned .

Tomkins was MOM and he deserved it even without the tries his defence was great not only because of the amount but the hits were hard and he ran good off Baz right shoulder offering a good option if the left was out ....impressed.

All played well and a team needs workers non do the job better than Hansen but I think he has much more to offer he has a turn of speed and both he and Tomkins could offer us so much if we had them surporting play and running more lines! with Hock , Lockers and also Mossop coming through is an average performer on big money like Baily needed? ....afraid not money could be put to better use .
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
butt monkey

Post by butt monkey »

lucky 13 wrote:with Hock , Lockers and also Mossop coming through is an average performer on big money like Baily needed?

:eusa4: With doubts concerning the actual quality of what Lockers does and the virtual non-appearance of Hock for this season (bans and injuries), would have left Wigan short of experienced cover. Besides which, Bailey was the one who's run and off-load gave Hansen the opportunity for his 50 yard break. He's is not brilliant, however he is not the worst player at Wigan.
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
fitzy

Post by fitzy »

butt monkey wrote:
lucky 13 wrote:with Hock , Lockers and also Mossop coming through is an average performer on big money like Baily needed?

:eusa4: With doubts concerning the actual quality of what Lockers does and the virtual non-appearance of Hock for this season (bans and injuries), would have left Wigan short of experienced cover. Besides which, Bailey was the one who's run and off-load gave Hansen the opportunity for his 50 yard break. He's is not brilliant, however he is not the worst player at Wigan.
I had just been criticizing Bailey saying to my mate that he never passes it then he came up with that offload I looked a right prat :blush:
dannydutson

Post by dannydutson »

i thought mathers was good tonight, he is more dangerous recieving the ball from barrett when they link up than richards is at full back. Thought phelps was fantastic at centre tonight, thats the best he has played for us, just hope thats not it for goulding though
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Some very good performances tonight and Trent gave a masterclass and showed that he is a truly great player.Smith linked up well with him and gave him a bit more room.But to be fair Hull were abysmal and the rest of our fixtures will prove whether we have turned the corner.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

warriorwal wrote:one word panchitta pessimist cheer up and enjoy too many miserable people on here
Well said :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2:

Was at the game, but agree with you regarding the negative pessimistic miserable people on this site :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
- psycho -

Post by - psycho - »

if some feel goulding shouldn't be dropped then with calders leaving why not try.

mathers
phelps
goulding
carmont
richards

colbon if he stays is adequete cover but nothing more than a bench warmer.

pryce next season can be used off the bench.
"what ever happens... we stick together... we stay together... we survive."

-------------------------------------
warriors united

Post by warriors united »

smith was like a young child at christmas very exited all the time not a critasisum thats exactly what we need was very refreshing to see it also rubbed off on the players phelps is more than an adequat centre give him a run he offers more than goulding nothing against the lad phelps just reads the game better how many minutes was feka on the pitch whould like to see more of that from him i think fielden has turned a corner why was he the only one that came over and showed his appreciation to the crowd
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Colbon is gone for 2009.

Love to see Phelps at FB
emperorkel

Post by emperorkel »

Well at last the players played some rugby, i think they have decided to ditch Nobbies tactics because they do not like them and because they are really better than he wants them to be. Ok Hull may have coasted but for first ten minutes they were up for it but realised Wigan were really in the mood, even so Hull were better than us against Huddersfield.
Barrett was superb, he played deeper than usual because Smith and Phelps could reach him with long fast and accurate passes from the ptb and this gave hin the extra time to show how good he really is. Oh how i wish we could have him and smith together for next year.
It shows that Trent and tommie were never a good match, tommies passing is not good enough and he is short of being a world class scrum half he is just a trier.