Mathers

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
mikey-warriors

Re: Mathers

Post by mikey-warriors »

josie andrews wrote:Well done Richie, good game and credit where credit is due.

:)
well said josie but dont forget mathers did come bacj from a very bad injury ye i know its a while ago and players have bad patches and would love to see him score that winning try v leeds on friday. :)
Perpignan 2009

remember remember the 21st of september wigan 31 - 30 bradford

GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

exile in Tiger country wrote:Radders would have stopped most of what has strolled past Mathers.
Trying hard and failing most of the time is not good enough foe Wigan.
The only one Rads would have stopped was the first Pelo try. Nobody could have stopped Elima from that range, that was Fielden's fault, not Mathers.

Pelo's second was down to Phelps & Calderwood, Murphy's was down to Richards & Carmont, as was Wilson's.
Mathers stopped all those midfield breaks early on, plus defused 2 or 3 dangerous kicks through.

I'm the first (well, second, maybe) to have criticised him all season, but he did OK tonight; credit where it's due.
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

I was ralking over the season, and I've said elsewhere tonight he was far better going forward, he just seems to lack either technique or confidence in one on one situations
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
cherrywarrior

Post by cherrywarrior »

I actually thought after two good games from Mathers, he wasnt brilliant tonight!
Wish list: Billy Slater please!!!!!!!!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

mikey-warriors wrote:
josie andrews wrote:Well done Richie, good game and credit where credit is due.

:)
well said josie but dont forget mathers did come bacj from a very bad injury ye i know its a while ago and players have bad patches and would love to see him score that winning try v leeds on friday. :)
I know Richie has come back from serious injuries, and I have been guilty this season of giving him some abuse, but I have always given compliments out to him when he has played well. I said at the beginning of the season that he had lost his confidence and he looks as if it is coming back I hope so cos I always thought he was a good player at Leeds. Again well done Richie :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

cherrywarrior wrote:I actually thought after two good games from Mathers, he wasnt brilliant tonight!
What specific instances? As I said, he wasn't at fault for any of their tries except the first Pelo one. He stopped three good breaks of theirs that they looked odds on to score from, as well as the kicks.
One mistake is less than most of the players made.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Great cheerleader BUT can he play RL

:eusa7:

CP :shau: of the forum

:razz:
myarse

Post by myarse »

MATHERS GREAT PLAYER PITY ABOUT HIS TACKLING
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

myarse wrote:MATHERS GREAT PLAYER PITY ABOUT HIS TACKLING
Over the season, yep, I'd agree, but he only missed one tonight.
THE 18th Man

Post by THE 18th Man »

if you watch mathers when wigan score a try he's enthusiasm is amazing and was something we was lacking a couple of months ago. And on his deefence i thought he was impressive and when he missed a tackle that was only because leuleui and another prop missed the frenchman and left mathers on his own on his own line.

this post is coming from a man who hated mathers at the begining of the season but he convinced of his dedication when he was the best player at the JJB against Saints a few months ago. he's proved in the second part of the season he can go toe to toe with the best and no doubt he will give 100% again next week against Leeds