Win Nothing Unless

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
gillysmyhero

Re: Win Nothing Unless

Post by gillysmyhero »

Wigan Watcher wrote:Well every think is fine then ,we dont need to change anyone then...what joke.
WW I agree we do need to change but im not sure if we need to change the players,the system that we play or the coach or all of them.When i watch the game again with a clear head i may see things more clearly.
slimshady

Post by slimshady »

Wigan Watcher wrote:Win Nothing Unless

Well as I have said it before the start of the season we will not win anything and it was very evident last night why. I said before the start of the season that we cannot win anything with the forwards we have and boy did it show last night against an under strengthened Leeds team that did not fire on all cylinders, if they had well it is to frightening to think about. Forget this season boys and girls!

What Wigan need to do now is to target and build a complete new set of forwards or we will be in this boat next year and the year after that.

Players that MUST leave Wigan before we can compete with other big name teams are

Fielden
Bailey
Lockers
Coley
Hansen

Other players coming through don’t look up to the mark to me but hey Ill give them a chance if we get rid of this poor set of players.
Sorry mate but your seriously deluded, Lockers,Hansen and Fielden would walk into any SL team without a doubt. Bailey is nearing the end but he is good cover, the only people I have issues with are
1 Coley, just not upto it
2 Feka, nowhere near fit enough still as fat as last season
3 O,carrol, nice lad but not big enough or good enough
4 Mc Illorum, hard lad good tackler but ball distribution is very poor.
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

slimshady wrote:
Wigan Watcher wrote:Win Nothing Unless

Well as I have said it before the start of the season we will not win anything and it was very evident last night why. I said before the start of the season that we cannot win anything with the forwards we have and boy did it show last night against an under strengthened Leeds team that did not fire on all cylinders, if they had well it is to frightening to think about. Forget this season boys and girls!

What Wigan need to do now is to target and build a complete new set of forwards or we will be in this boat next year and the year after that.

Players that MUST leave Wigan before we can compete with other big name teams are

Fielden
Bailey
Lockers
Coley
Hansen

Other players coming through don’t look up to the mark to me but hey Ill give them a chance if we get rid of this poor set of players.
Sorry mate but your seriously deluded, Lockers,Hansen and Fielden would walk into any SL team without a doubt. Bailey is nearing the end but he is good cover, the only people I have issues with are
1 Coley, just not upto it
2 Feka, nowhere near fit enough still as fat as last season
3 O,carrol, nice lad but not big enough or good enough
4 Mc Illorum, hard lad good tackler but ball distribution is very poor.
Let them walk then they are rubbish just look at our results, end of!

Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

pieater-alex wrote:Although a little over the top we shouldn't ignore the main point of this thread. Our forwards are not quite up to it when we come to play the bigger teams. We lack a lot of beef and more importantly experience in the forwards. We have a lot of young players in the forwards and we need that right blend of experience to gel alongside them.

Andy Coley's contract is up at the end of the season - although an improvement at Leeds to be fair, he is still not up to the required standard set by Leeds and Saints at the top of the league to be competing for the title.

Phil Bailey - came over with some sort of reputation and has not lived up to this. He has been your typical average Aussie. We are blessed in the second row so I don't think we need a direct replacement.(We've been playing without him in the second row for three weeks now). BUT his experience needs replacing. Maybe not in the second row but in another position.

Luke Bailey
Andy Lynch
Louie-McCarthy-Scarsbrrok
Steve Price
Petero Civoniceva
FuiFui MoiMoi

All these players contracts are up so quality is certainly available.

I'd go for Luke Bailey. He's 29 so would be coming over at the right age for a prop forward. He would have enough to offer for a three year contract. He has experience of over 150 NRL games, played State of Origin 14 times and has represented Australia twice. He has plenty of experience and a good reputation in Australia and can add leadership to our young forwards in O'carroll and Prescott. He would be ideal to bring along O'carroll and Prescott for next season and then when Fielden's contract runs out at the end of next season we wont need to recruit another prop as hopefully O'carroll and Prescott will have progressed and developed into first team players.
good post!

If all you say is correct then you need to be part of the set up at Wigan because you seem to know more than that lot.

weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

Hi WW,

what would your direct suggestions be to replace and augment our pack then? I'm not attacking your opinion, but I'd be interested in who you think should replace who and when.

Is our pack lacking? Perhaps. But the recent history at Wigan shows us that wholesale changes in playing personnel aren't the answer. Between 2004 and 2006 around 33 players (I think) went through the club and that didn't change anything. We had a coach a year for the best part of 5 years and that didn't change a thing either.

For what it's worth if I was Ian Lenegan I would be looking at novel and slightly different ways to improve and develop what we have now and what's coming through, through changes in the club setup and culture. Some ideas:

- I would look at eventually establishing a club full of athletes. Ultra professionalism. Genuine athletes who view themselves as such and treat themselves like that's what they are. Limited or no boozing and no (alleged) cokeheads. Compare other sports. Can you imagine Chris Hoy bearing his ar** in a walkabout??

- Niche coaching. Unusual cross training. Sports pschology. Link up with a sports science research department at a leading UK University and get some real detailed work done on our squad players.

This goes on anyway, but our conditioners are effectively retired rugby players and have hands on experience. Invest in some NRL style GPS tracking systems and really personalise each players conditioning. Compliment this with some real scientific expertise and the precise improvements could only be a benefit.

Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

weststand-rich wrote:Hi WW,

what would your direct suggestions be to replace and augment our pack then? I'm not attacking your opinion, but I'd be interested in who you think should replace who and when.

Is our pack lacking? Perhaps. But the recent history at Wigan shows us that wholesale changes in playing personnel aren't the answer. Between 2004 and 2006 around 33 players (I think) went through the club and that didn't change anything. We had a coach a year for the best part of 5 years and that didn't change a thing either.

For what it's worth if I was Ian Lenegan I would be looking at novel and slightly different ways to improve and develop what we have now and what's coming through, through changes in the club setup and culture. Some ideas:

- I would look at eventually establishing a club full of athletes. Ultra professionalism. Genuine athletes who view themselves as such and treat themselves like that's what they are. Limited or no boozing and no (alleged) cokeheads. Compare other sports. Can you imagine Chris Hoy bearing his ar** in a walkabout??

- Niche coaching. Unusual cross training. Sports pschology. Link up with a sports science research department at a leading UK University and get some real detailed work done on our squad players.

This goes on anyway, but our conditioners are effectively retired rugby players and have hands on experience. Invest in some NRL style GPS tracking systems and really personalise each players conditioning. Compliment this with some real scientific expertise and the precise improvements could only be a benefit.
I have no idea is the answer to your question regarding who would replace our pack, but i do no it does need changing that is very clear to see, every thing else you mention can only be good for the game....

jao 711

Post by jao 711 »

dear wigan watcher,you could not fault the team for effort at leeds.it was aterrific first half show from leeds,agreat kicking game kept us playing in our own half followed by great defence.face up to the facts,that first half would have beaten anybody.give credit where it's due.we don't need to sell half the team,and frankly i don't think you know much about the game.

No personal insults. ThanksCPW
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

WW i agree that we need to get rid of 3 of your 5 players mentioned. for me hansen and oloughlin can stay its the phelps's and mathers we should lose instead. Fielden is a shadow.

like cpwigan said, is our pack soo different to leeds? our forwards on paper are roughly equal but it doesnt show on the pitch... i mean ablett or bailey, even leuluai arent anything special... wigan can match or better leeds on their day going forward sadly it didnt happen on friday

but i agree, changes are needed... starting at the top
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

jao 711 wrote:dear wigan watcher,you could not fault the team for effort at leeds.it was aterrific first half show from leeds,agreat kicking game kept us playing in our own half followed by great defence.face up to the facts,that first half would have beaten anybody.give credit where it's due.we don't need to sell half the team,and frankly i don't think you know much about the game.

No personal insults. ThanksCPW
silly comment

TomThumb

Post by TomThumb »

I think the best pack we had in recent memory was Feka, fielden and Scott Logan at the end of the "milward year".

Scott went home and he wasn't replaced. I think we have all since the end of last season and probably before indicated we needed another impact prop to illiminate the momentum loss attributed to Feka leaving the field. Until we have another impact prop, then I agree, we will win bog all!! :(