Chris Ashton

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Panchitta Marra

Re: Chris Ashton

Post by Panchitta Marra »

It would take Ashton a good season to get back on track in League with the increased fitness levels, faster reflexes, harder tackles. Can Wigan afford this on the cap, to have a wasted season, just to bring him back up to speed. It's like having an injured player or a Smith in your team.
the-Bowtun-Warrior

Post by the-Bowtun-Warrior »

Panchitta Marra wrote:It would take Ashton a good season to get back on track in League with the increased fitness levels, faster reflexes, harder tackles. Can Wigan afford this on the cap, to have a wasted season, just to bring him back up to speed. It's like having an injured player or a Smith in your team.

Pryce, Phelps, Mathers. all taking up vital money.
Owen Coyles Super White Army!!!

Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

the-Bowtun-Warr ior wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:It would take Ashton a good season to get back on track in League with the increased fitness levels, faster reflexes, harder tackles. Can Wigan afford this on the cap, to have a wasted season, just to bring him back up to speed. It's like having an injured player or a Smith in your team.

Pryce, Phelps, Mathers. all taking up vital money.
Then its like having an injured player, a Smith, Pryce, Phelps & Mathers in your team. :D
jammie

Post by jammie »

was he not player of the season in his first full season at wigan?yes he walked away and took a massive pay deal,but who wouldn't if we had an offer like that in our every day jobs,and i would be rather cheesed off if we said no we don't want you because you walked out on us and then goes and joins some other club and becomes the finished article and will one day return to haunt us.we will then all be calling all and sundry for not having the forsight to re-sign him if it's us he wants to come to.
English by birth. Wigan by the grace of God.

outback wiganer

Post by outback wiganer »

Just like so many other players we have let go over the years, and they always come back to haunt us. Like this Friday night when a few of them return home.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

pedro wrote:
gpartin wrote:
pedro wrote:He is still fast, his attitude should be managed by the coach...surely hes not the only ego in the league and they are all managed.
Oh yes and Noble's done a great job of managing bad attitude's hasn't he :roll:

You really like the little scumbag don't you ;)

His attitude stinks and he pretty much stuck 2 fingers up to the Wigan club and fans. He's more interested in money than the sport/ club itself and if he did come back he'd clear off at the first opportunity to make more money.

Incidentally, top try scorer in Union's National League 1 is what I would expect from any player going from Super League. The standard of rugby is absolutely dire! I think the fact that he did that and then can't get into the team in the premiership says more about Ashton than anything he achieved last season.

The last thing the club needs is another player with questionable attitude.
was on something like £200 a game at Wigan when Noble would play him so not a steady wage. Northampton made a massive offer and he went. Cant blame him as its a short career.

You say Rads turned it down but he was on a huge amount as sport GB subsidised around 3 players before disappearing and he was one of them.

Not saying I like him but would feel like biting my nose of to spite my face if we said lets not have a fast (dont have real speed in the team now) plyer back due to him wearing a Northampton top (after agreeing terms with them).

I suppose we could turn away proven class and stick with Mathers :eusa2:
It was his attitude on the field after signing for Northampton which I found unacceptable, him appearing in the shirt is only part of the issue. Whay has he gone from top scorer to not getting picked so quickly, he still has the talent so maybe its his attitude again causing the problem?
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

jackoh

Post by jackoh »

I would have Ashton back tomorrow , alright he left us for a massive pay increase which you can`t blame him for , being a young player with wads of money being waved at him .
Let`s not forget Noble kept playing him at full back when we were being hammered every week and Ashton was copping the blame .
In attack he`s always on players shoulders should a break occur and has the speed to finish off a play .
Although I wouldn`t necessarily play him at full back , Center or wings are his position .
We could recoup the money by releasing Smith , Mathers and Pryce .
pedro

Post by pedro »

gpartin wrote:
pedro wrote:
gpartin wrote: Oh yes and Noble's done a great job of managing bad attitude's hasn't he :roll:

You really like the little scumbag don't you ;)

His attitude stinks and he pretty much stuck 2 fingers up to the Wigan club and fans. He's more interested in money than the sport/ club itself and if he did come back he'd clear off at the first opportunity to make more money.

Incidentally, top try scorer in Union's National League 1 is what I would expect from any player going from Super League. The standard of rugby is absolutely dire! I think the fact that he did that and then can't get into the team in the premiership says more about Ashton than anything he achieved last season.

The last thing the club needs is another player with questionable attitude.
was on something like £200 a game at Wigan when Noble would play him so not a steady wage. Northampton made a massive offer and he went. Cant blame him as its a short career.

You say Rads turned it down but he was on a huge amount as sport GB subsidised around 3 players before disappearing and he was one of them.

Not saying I like him but would feel like biting my nose of to spite my face if we said lets not have a fast (dont have real speed in the team now) plyer back due to him wearing a Northampton top (after agreeing terms with them).

I suppose we could turn away proven class and stick with Mathers :eusa2:
It was his attitude on the field after signing for Northampton which I found unacceptable, him appearing in the shirt is only part of the issue. Whay has he gone from top scorer to not getting picked so quickly, he still has the talent so maybe its his attitude again causing the problem?
Is he fit?
slimshady

Post by slimshady »

Chris Ashton was better than most of our current back line, dont think he had a bad attitude neither, what evidance is there. Was this not the smoke screen that was spread by the then board after he turned down what was quite frankly a derisory contract offer, and I for one do not believe anyone on here would not, under the same circumstances do exactly the same. DW and ML cocked up by trying to get him on the cheap when they were prepared to pay other players like Vaeleki more money.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

My understanding is that he had an argument with another Northampton player. The coach ided with the other player and dropped him, he then came back in for 1 match but has since been dropped for several matches with Northampton sometimes putting Myler on the wing owing to his kicking.

At Wigan he had a reputation for doing daft things with Sean Gleeson. He may have matured. He was young lest we forget.