The Question Now For Next Week - Ainscough Or Richards?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
southstander

Re: The Question Now For Next Week - Ainscough Or Richards?

Post by southstander »

its not between ainscough or richards, its ainscough or phelps. Phelps does a job but he is average wheras everyone else in the backline can score or create tries instantly. Or backline has not looked this good for a while yet noble insists on playin average overseas players such as phelps and phil bailey. These are the type of player that have been drafted in by Maurice Lyndsay and they are the reason why we have been so unsuccesful in SL.

In my opnion: Ainscough(toptryscorer) in for Phelps and Hansen(last years top tackler) in for Bailey, maybe then we could have shot at silverware and get opposition fans off our backs about the amount of aussies in our team.
'thats not a try thats a miracle!'
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Unfortunately Southstander no matter what you or I think, Bailey will always be selected by Noble. The player under threat is Joel Tomkins sadly. I believe that once Hansen is fit, Joel weill be the one squeezed out as I do not think Noble has the confidence or belief in him that he should.
southstander

Post by southstander »

i agree its the sad truth that players of joels calibre are pushed out because of what noble thinks. Who knows what his selection process is, because alot of the time it isnt down to performances. Maybe Lenaghan has a say, who knows we can only speculate. Lets hope Noble one day gives the wiganers a chance.
'thats not a try thats a miracle!'
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

southstander wrote:i agree its the sad truth that players of joels calibre are pushed out because of what noble thinks. Who knows what his selection process is, because alot of the time it isnt down to performances. Maybe Lenaghan has a say, who knows we can only speculate. Lets hope Noble one day gives the wiganers a chance.
I hope so; I'd love to see Nobby acknowledge his errors, as he has done, eventually, with Mathers. I'm not holding my breath, though.

Anyone doubt the following predictions?

When fit, Riddell will get straight back in, despite a performance from McIlorum that even Stevo was admiring.

Roberts or Phelps will always get the nod over Ainscough, despite his try-scoring record.

Bailey will always be picked ahead of Joel T, and Smith will always be picked ahead of Sam T, despite their obvious quality.

No matter how good their performances, or how poorly the expensive imports do, there is no real competition for places.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

An interesting thread...

Whether it was luck, tactical genius or alignment of the planets; it was nice to beat saints so convincingly after so long.

Would people prefer us to have lost if that meant Ainscough playing?

I do think that Noble picks too much on reputation (and I certainly think that Mickey Mac should stay in the side instead of Piggy). However on Saturday he did the job and should receive the plaudits for coaching a team who totally out-played the league leaders.

I like Sean Ainscough a lot and I think that he has a fantastic future at Wigan. However, first and foremost I want Wigan to win - and for whatever the reason, on Saturday we did. I will have no problem if the same 17 players win every game for the rest of the season.

I'm not going to complain about the team/club/coach after a victory against stains. We've lost far too often (and by too wide a margin) for that. I'm not Noble's biggest fan (see my signature) however on Saturday he got it right and I have no agenda other than to see Wigan win and hopefully play some entertaining RL along the way. When we do that I see no need to criticise.

And to answer the question of the thread? Richards will not be dropped when fit; full stop. I would imagine it will be the same team next week. In the unlikely event of anyone missing out for Ainscough, it will be Phelps or more likely Roberts.
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
turf

Post by turf »

Matthew wrote:An interesting thread...

Whether it was luck, tactical genius or alignment of the planets; it was nice to beat saints so convincingly after so long.

I do think that Noble picks too much on reputation (and I certainly think that Mickey Mac should stay in the side instead of Piggy). However on Saturday he did the job and should receive the plaudits for coaching a team who totally out-played the league leaders.

I like Sean Ainscough a lot and I think that he has a fantastic future at Wigan. However, first and foremost I want Wigan to win - and for whatever the reason, on Saturday we did. I will have no problem if the same 17 players win every game for the rest of the season.

I'm not going to complain about the team/club/coach after a victory against stains. We've lost far too often (and by too wide a margin) for that. I'm not Noble's biggest fan (see my signature) however on Saturday he got it right and I have no agenda other than to see Wigan win and hopefully play some entertaining RL along the way. When we do that I see no need to criticise.

And to answer the question of the thread? Richards will not be dropped when fit; full stop. I would imagine it will be the same team next week. In the unlikely event of anyone missing out for Ainscough, it will be Phelps or more likely Roberts.
That's a nice comment in bold Matthew, welcome back to the board, you haven't been on for a while.

I am afraid to say, that you are right, because I think Noble will stick with a winning team.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Some have said, Richards wasn't the replacement but Phelps. We now seem to have an embarrasement of riches player-wise which is good for training and competition.

I think nobody will know what team Noble will pick.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
jammie

Post by jammie »

i don't know what anyone else thinks but after watching the stains game again,we had so many different options when sam & smith were at half backs and tommy was at hooker,could we not play them more often together and interchange them with mm at hooker an chnage the half backs around.
English by birth. Wigan by the grace of God.

GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

jammie wrote:i don't know what anyone else thinks but after watching the stains game again,we had so many different options when sam & smith were at half backs and tommy was at hooker,could we not play them more often together and interchange them with mm at hooker an chnage the half backs around.
I agree, but I'd rather see Smith & Tomkins play the full 80 in the halves, with TL and MM interchanging at hooker.

Not that Nobby would go with that option, of course...not enough antipodean accents in the side. Riddell will be back, when fit, and TL will play the full 80 in one position or another.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Matthew wrote:An interesting thread...

Of course not but do you think we would have lost if he had played? We may have won by more. We just don't know but I do not think we would have lost because the rest of the team played very well and we were better across the park. That is how it should be and really the last player anyone should be worrying about to cost us games is the winger. It's not as if there is anything in this notion Ainscough is a defensive liability compared to the other backs.
He clearly wanted to select that side v Wakefield. He could not and Ainscough goes and scores four tries. He ignores this and selects the side he wanted.
Then surely that 17 should have been the one that won v Wakefield? Why not? it was a winning team.
We would have won with Ainscough in the side and as Geoff says what chances of Riddell being kept out by McIllorum when Riddell is fit? We may well win games if Noble reverts to Riddell and never plays Ainscough again unless forced to but if he did that would I am sure reinforce many peoples view he was not the coach for Wigan despite the results.
I am sure it will be the same team and no one is suggesting Richards be dropped. It should have been one of Roberts or Phelps.

Dave