Will Shaun Ainscough Play This Friday?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
GeoffN

Re: Will Shaun Ainscough Play This Friday?

Post by GeoffN »

TomThumb wrote:
cpwigan wrote:Well Tom I think he only had 4 bombs kicked at him the entire match. Personally I think Nicky has made a good call and that players should be rested v weaker opposition and the likes of Ainscough, Flannagan etc given the occasional game.
I seem to have come away with the impression there was more than 4 and he dropped/made a hash of most of them...

I don't want anyone to get the idea that I don't like shaun, I think he's great, I just can understand the reasons why Noble would pick Phelps/roberts and richards in the backline at the moment.

I agree that reserve players should be given game time against the lesser sides, but with super league being so even, the easy games a few and far between, this is why I like the idea of players going out on loan with either championship or other superleague sides to get the experience, confidence and to get up to the speed of superleague.

Brian N
I don't remember him dropping any. There was one he challenged the Saints winger, who knocked on under his pressure, one he let bounce but trapped with his foot, one he caught but then had stripped on the run back...

For me, his worst error was the missed tackle on Eastmond that led to his try.
TomThumb

Post by TomThumb »

I came away with the impression that he was poor all night under the high ball... I have had a few shandys since then and can't remember every incident but I can understand why noble might go with the safer options of phelps/roberts and richards against teams like Saints/Wakefield and Hull KR who have good kicking games.

I don't think noble has ruled out bringing shaun back into the side?

Susi

Post by Susi »

I do not get to many reserves matches due to work commitments. However i know he stands out a mile in the team.
Ä° subscribe to the theory if he's good enough hes old enough, yes he may make mistakes but even more senior players do.
Gaz is a great player but how many times has he fumbled at the try line this year.
None are perfect, thıs lad shows total commitment and it would be a shame to lose him by a coach who does not seem to be capable of bringing young ones through.
As for duty of care, my personal opinion ıs that noble uses it as his safety blanket.
I know we are on an emotive topic, but i also know many of us want to see a Wıgan team consisting of mainly our own boys.
Not taking anything away from current players we have now, we need to plan for the future.
Leeds and stains use their young players, ın fact Leeds team is mostly lads whom have played all through the ranks from 15 together, ıt's little wonder they are successful, the cohesion ıs there. We take about 6 games to start playing together.
End of rant.

Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

I may be a long way off the mark here, but didn't we set up some sort of partnership / working relationship with one of the NRL clubs (possibly St George)?
If this is the case, would it not be a good idea to let Shaun spend the rest of the season there playing in a higher level of reserve grade rugby with higher standards of coaching.
Our reserve level is not competitive enough to improve his game quickly, and there is a huge gulf between reserve and SL.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
fred_flintstone

Post by fred_flintstone »

cpwigan wrote:
fred_flintstone wrote:Heard over the weekend that the rumour about his contract situation is true. However, he has no desire to leave Wigan despite some big offers on the table. He'll be here next season, dont worry. The person who told me should know :wink:
If it is true what does that say re Ian Lenagan :conf:
Question we've been asking. I've no doubt its true. I can only think the club have ties themselves up with the cap and dont really want to admit it.
OAMJSONA

Post by OAMJSONA »

why does Lenagan not just come and say they are struggling with the CAP again

at least we would know why the likes of Ainscough is not being picked

personally i think it is a crying shame that this young WIGAN lad id being treated in this way

i hope we do not lose him

lads like him are our future if we are to progress
Wigan is and always will be a town of Cherry & White

turf

Post by turf »

fred_flintstone wrote:Heard over the weekend that the rumour about his contract situation is true. However, he has no desire to leave Wigan despite some big offers on the table. He'll be here next season, dont worry. The person who told me should know :wink:
Not revealing who the person is who told you fred_flintstone?!?!?! :D :D :D

Only joking. Anyway, I hope whoever it was, is right, and Shaun Ainscough will be here next season. :eusa10: :eusa10: :eusa10:
fred_flintstone

Post by fred_flintstone »

^^^

You know what, I hate these 'someone close to the club told me etc etc' posts but in fairness people could get into trouble. I'm surprised by how open the players and their family talk when you go to the reserves and get chatting about rugby and life in general :wink: :wink: :wink:

He, sorry the person, said that Shaun will be here. The other thing I picked up from a few different people is how little Nobby has to do with the first team these days. Never gave much thought to the Nobby sacked rumour but certainly something has changed, Football Director for Nobby perhaps???? (thats purely my speculation by the way).
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Fred is right. You cannot divulge sources particularly where livelihoods are at risk. The Noble rumours. Who knows but the style of play has improved dramatically in weeks. Strange that we are now running from more depth and using second man plays etc after nearly 3 years of flat schoolboy chain passing.
turf

Post by turf »

Sorry guys. :sad: :sad: :sad: