The blame game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: The blame game

Post by cpwigan »

MiThor wrote:try the honest approach, you have nothing better to do, lets pick a player (any player you don't like) and publically discect him, and generally tear them to shreds,
I was always taught treat people as you wish to be treated,
would you like people to trash your life, the way certain players get it on this site
? You have lost me MiTHor explain?
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

cpwigan wrote:
gpartin wrote:Get your point CP but 179 tackles and 19 missed is better in my book than 34 tackles with 7 missed is it not?
You are right GP it is but the way some fans have been carrying on you would think Ainscough was the only player ever to make a mistake. It is in some ways contradictory to the way fans says oh wouldn't it be great to have lots of young Wiganers in the team but when they get them they write them off far more readily than they do big names. There are fans who are still not convinced Mathers was given a fair go that Fielden will recapture his peak form, Pig will become a world beater yet in the same sentences write McIlorum off, want rid of Goulding think Ainscough is likely to = defeat should he play etc etc.
Yeah some people live in cloud cuckoo land.
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

robjoenz wrote:
MiThor wrote:
robjoenz wrote: That being said I've heard how you shout at referees lol
fair reply, comment accepted, I admit i do get carried away at games along with millions of other sports fans, by the same token I have ever heard you admit that refs get it wrong so we are both as bad
see you friday
Of course I have seen things differently to referees at a game before (hence think they're wrong cos I'm never wrong lol). Not the same as questioning their parentage at birth haha.
What is interesting is that a referee is never allowed to make a mistake by fans yet they forgive their own players whenever they make mistakes. I can safely say that match officials make less mistakes than either of the teams they officiate yet the way fans act irrationally suggests otherwise. By and large their mistake rate according to fans depends upon whether their team won or lost which is irrational.
mario

Post by mario »

cpwigan wrote:
robjoenz wrote:
MiThor wrote: fair reply, comment accepted, I admit i do get carried away at games along with millions of other sports fans, by the same token I have ever heard you admit that refs get it wrong so we are both as bad
see you friday
Of course I have seen things differently to referees at a game before (hence think they're wrong cos I'm never wrong lol). Not the same as questioning their parentage at birth haha.
What is interesting is that a referee is never allowed to make a mistake by fans yet they forgive their own players whenever they make mistakes. I can safely say that match officials make less mistakes than either of the teams they officiate yet the way fans act irrationally suggests otherwise. By and large their mistake rate according to fans depends upon whether their team won or lost which is irrational.
Why is it irrational? If you win, the mistakes become insignificant. And I would doubt there was a player on the pitch made more mistakes than the referee on Saturday.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

mario wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
robjoenz wrote:
Why is it irrational? If you win, the mistakes become insignificant. And I would doubt there was a player on the pitch made more mistakes than the referee on Saturday.
It is irrational to judge an officials performance on whether your team wins or loses. The referee could be very poor but as long as your team wins then you as the fan
never criticise him whereas a referee could have a very good game but if your team loses you as a fan try to find fault with the referee and absolve your own team of blame.

Clearly such behaviour is irrational. The view of the fan / his/her ability to judge a referee is rendered worthless by such behaviour.

As a fan normally intelligent men/women seem to lose their marbles at times and seem incapable of behaving rationally and intelligently.

On top of that the fan is also gullible in that they become incredibly susceptible to having ideas / view implanted in their minds. Yet the fan by an large away from his/her passion is able to understand when they are being fed information and can make reasoned decisions.

When humans become passionate about something be it a relationship or an obsession then their ability to judge or make decisions often becomes poor.
TomThumb

Post by TomThumb »

There is a great book by Dan Gardner about Risk and Fear which uncovers the human minds ability to understand the information presented to it and the the risk/fear and ability to buy into concepts and seek re-assurance from the "group" to further said beliefs and thoughts....

Worth a read CP... I think alot of Human behaveour/thoughts and philosophies have been investagated by Dan and if your into "that sort of thing" its well worth a read.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

TomThumb wrote:There is a great book by Dan Gardner about Risk and Fear which uncovers the human minds ability to understand the information presented to it and the the risk/fear and ability to buy into concepts and seek re-assurance from the "group" to further said beliefs and thoughts....

Worth a read CP... I think alot of Human behaveour/thoughts and philosophies have been investagated by Dan and if your into "that sort of thing" its well worth a read.
I shall look it up Tom. Thanks for the recommendation.
TomThumb

Post by TomThumb »

Its alright I get a cut of the profits!! :wink:

seriously though! I have read an awful lot of books/information in uncovering the many myths and lies of religion, philosophy and the human mind etc etc... They are facinating subjects and certainly open your mind to the world we live in and the reasons why "it is like it is"

Not as good as reading the wigan RL forums though!!!

:roll:

Brian N
robjoenz

Post by robjoenz »

God wrote:In the same breath 1 bad desigion from a ref can cost a team the game. Leeds v Bradford Millenium magic.

You have 80 minutes to put a team away and if you dont take your chances as a team or various people make mistakes then its the teams fault/tactics or team selection.

Players can make it up to the fans the following week. A ref cannot atone for any mistakes because it would make him look biased :wink: :wink:
The fact you refer to a decision made in 2007 for a game when a referee error decided the outcome of a game is good though. It shows it's not a common occurence.

Talking about atoning for mistakes, a referee very often doesn't know he's made a mistake until after the game has finished anyway. He wouldn't make a decision if he thought it was wrong.
Reevezie 2.0.0.8

Post by Reevezie 2.0.0.8 »

robjoenz wrote:
God wrote:In the same breath 1 bad desigion from a ref can cost a team the game. Leeds v Bradford Millenium magic.

You have 80 minutes to put a team away and if you dont take your chances as a team or various people make mistakes then its the teams fault/tactics or team selection.

Players can make it up to the fans the following week. A ref cannot atone for any mistakes because it would make him look biased :wink: :wink:
The fact you refer to a decision made in 2007 for a game when a referee error decided the outcome of a game is good though. It shows it's not a common occurence.

Talking about atoning for mistakes, a referee very often doesn't know he's made a mistake until after the game has finished anyway. He wouldn't make a decision if he thought it was wrong.
Im not so sure with some of the decisions ive seen over the last few years....... :conf:
Wigan's Favourite Salon Follows The Wigan Warriors http:// http://www.cuttingcrewwigan.co.uk