Carl Webb

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
cpwigan

Re: Carl Webb

Post by cpwigan »

John Morris (born 29 July 1980) is an Australian professional rugby league player for the Wests Tigers in the National Rugby League (NRL) competition. He previously played for the Newcastle Knights and Parramatta Eels before switching to the Wests Tigers in 2007 on a three year contract. He primarily plays at hooker or five-eighth, and was selected on the bench for Country Origin to play City Origin in 2002 and 2003. He played for Scone Thoroughbreads in his junior years.

[edit] Career highlights
Country Origin: 2002, 2003
First Grade Debut: Round 17, Newcastle Knights v Parramatta Eels at Parramatta Stadium, 22 June 2001
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

cpwigan wrote:
By Josh Massoud
x TELEGRAPH
April 11, 2008 12:00am

WILLIE Mason picked a fight with the Bulldogs and won. Now he has been challenged to back it up against the most fearsome fists in rugby league.

Carl Webb, the former Queensland champion boxer, has demanded to occupy the opposite corner for Mason's boxing debut.

The Cowboys' wrecking ball boasts a 7-0 amateur record and has been mooted as a dream opponent since Mason announced his desire to fight last November.

But Webb has remained tight-lipped about making a comeback - until now.

"Bring it on," the 108kg enforcer declared last night. "I know that Willie wants to fight and so do I. Who wouldn't want to see it happen?"

Disgraced former AFL star Wayne Carey was favoured to be Mason's first-up opponent, but the 37-year-old's troubled personal life has raised credibility concerns. Webb, on the other hand, is a genuinely feared puncher right in the prime of his sporting career.

"I can't see why he would want to fight someone like Carey, who is clearly past it," Webb said. "If Willie's fair dinkum about having a fight he should fight someone who's also fair dinkum - not someone who is retired and out of shape."

The fact both would-be fighters double as Origin villains for their respective States has not been lost on promoters.

Webb's agent Sam Ayoub has already been in talks with Townsville-based officials to host the exhibition fight at Dairy Farmers Stadium in January.

"It's something the public would love to see," Ayoub said. "I spoke with Willie's management this week."

Given Webb's pugilistic pedigree, it was first thought Mason would be cold on the idea. But his camp has confirmed Webb is "an option".

Mason declined to answer Webb's challenge when contacted last night.

"To be honest, boxing is the last thing on my mind at the moment," Mason said.

"Something's going to happen in the off-season with boxing and I'll just leave that to my manager."

Despite conceding experience, Mason enjoys an extra 14cm height and 7kg weight advantage.

Promoters last night said interest in the bout would rival some of the biggest fights held on Australian soil.

High-profile matchmaker Angelo Hyder described the Mason-Webb fight as "the rugby league equivalent to Lennox Lewis and Mike Tyson".

"It would be the biggest fight since Anthony Mundine and Danny Green," Hyder said.

I doubt the big cat will take up the offer but if he does I hope Webb batters the germ.
Anyone who wants top put the gloves on against Willie Mason will do for me.Lets be honest he (Mason)made short work of old mother hubbard Fielden.Bring on Webb. :)
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

cpwigan wrote:He used to play for the Broncos. Now plays for the Cowboys.
Ah. Bit out of touch with the Oz game since it disappeared from Sky.

Note to self: check info before posting!
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

thomo wrote:I am going to ask now who is John Morris
yoda warrior

Post by yoda warrior »

webb is a real 'enforcer' as lots of you are asking for. i remember him hammering luke bailey out of an origin game at suncorp stadium a few years back. bailey was one of the best front rowers in aus at the time but webb smashed him twice early in the game and forced the ball loose. have read on the nrl website a couple of times recently that he has lost his form though.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

We tried to sign him last year! Top class front row forward.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
KOOCH

Post by KOOCH »

yoda warrior wrote:webb is a real 'enforcer' as lots of you are asking for. i remember him hammering luke bailey out of an origin game at suncorp stadium a few years back. bailey was one of the best front rowers in aus at the time but webb smashed him twice early in the game and forced the ball loose. have read on the nrl website a couple of times recently that he has lost his form though.
Seems he may fit well into Nobles grand scheme of things then! :D
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

cpwigan wrote:
By Josh Massoud
x TELEGRAPH
April 11, 2008 12:00am

WILLIE Mason picked a fight with the Bulldogs and won. Now he has been challenged to back it up against the most fearsome fists in rugby league.

Carl Webb, the former Queensland champion boxer, has demanded to occupy the opposite corner for Mason's boxing debut.

The Cowboys' wrecking ball boasts a 7-0 amateur record and has been mooted as a dream opponent since Mason announced his desire to fight last November.

But Webb has remained tight-lipped about making a comeback - until now.

"Bring it on," the 108kg enforcer declared last night. "I know that Willie wants to fight and so do I. Who wouldn't want to see it happen?"

Disgraced former AFL star Wayne Carey was favoured to be Mason's first-up opponent, but the 37-year-old's troubled personal life has raised credibility concerns. Webb, on the other hand, is a genuinely feared puncher right in the prime of his sporting career.

"I can't see why he would want to fight someone like Carey, who is clearly past it," Webb said. "If Willie's fair dinkum about having a fight he should fight someone who's also fair dinkum - not someone who is retired and out of shape."

The fact both would-be fighters double as Origin villains for their respective States has not been lost on promoters.

Webb's agent Sam Ayoub has already been in talks with Townsville-based officials to host the exhibition fight at Dairy Farmers Stadium in January.

"It's something the public would love to see," Ayoub said. "I spoke with Willie's management this week."

Given Webb's pugilistic pedigree, it was first thought Mason would be cold on the idea. But his camp has confirmed Webb is "an option".

Mason declined to answer Webb's challenge when contacted last night.

"To be honest, boxing is the last thing on my mind at the moment," Mason said.

"Something's going to happen in the off-season with boxing and I'll just leave that to my manager."

Despite conceding experience, Mason enjoys an extra 14cm height and 7kg weight advantage.

Promoters last night said interest in the bout would rival some of the biggest fights held on Australian soil.

High-profile matchmaker Angelo Hyder described the Mason-Webb fight as "the rugby league equivalent to Lennox Lewis and Mike Tyson".

"It would be the biggest fight since Anthony Mundine and Danny Green," Hyder said.

I doubt the big cat will take up the offer but if he does I hope Webb batters the germ.
Two fighters in this one, NOT,
more like:
Carl "The Enforcer" Webb v Willie "Audley" Mason.
Willie wouldnt know where to run to.
A bit of Audley Harrison in Wiilie for sure, and its not the boxing skills.
Fieldens tap on the chin has gone to this blokes head.
Bring on Kidwell, Willie would crap himself.
cherrywarrior

Post by cherrywarrior »

I stand corrected on Carl Webb, sign him up!!!
Wish list: Billy Slater please!!!!!!!!
yoda warrior

Post by yoda warrior »

just read on another page that ian leneghan was seen sitting next to webb at a cowboys game recently. make of that what you will.....