Flanagan off to Wests - I am FURIOUS

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ajsefc

Re: Flanagan off to Wests - I am FURIOUS

Post by ajsefc »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Some of the comments on here are out of order as Flanagan is going to Australia because his girlfriend is returning to Australia and he wants to be with her,
Nobody has any issues with Flanagan for going or his reasons but for Noble to say it would be wrong to try and keep, what planet is he on?

If I was in a dead end job, not apprieciated under paid and my girfriend wanted to move I'd be off - but - if my boss turned round gave me an exciting new role, a payrise and told me how I could help make it great again then I'd have something to seriously consider
'I have a good stand up wash in that sink once a week'
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Whelley Warrior wrote:Some of the comments on here are out of order as Flanagan is going to Australia because his girlfriend is returning to Australia and he wants to be with her,
No the comments are accurate. Everybody knows the official rhetoric but the truth is what was posted.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

the idea that a player is too young or too small is total bullcrap. If you good enough your old enough and size in this game isn't everything. You tell me when the last time you saw rob burrow injured?, or try telling the MoS committy that Hodgson isn't big enough. Its all rubbish, flanagan is good enough, he should of been given his chance earlier but noble the dinosaur wont play youth end of
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Susi

Post by Susi »

Totally agree with you WF but would add a little ps to ya comment, Noble only plays youngsters when his hands are tied and hes forced to.
The comments he made on sky about sam a few months ago annoyed me. He could not say he was good and had to critise.
As for Flannagan you can't blame him for going bet he feels used and no one likes that.
Lets hope if we get a new coach he's not afraid of using our young uns and we eventually end up with a young and older WIGAN team, and winning ways.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Amongst the greatest mistakes Noble has made was his reluctance to play Sam in 2008. Had he played Sam with Trent and had Tommy/Mickey Higham as hooker we may have reached / won a GF.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Where is Whelley Warrior :wink:

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague ... olumn.html
"At the time I was playing in the reserves at Wigan," he explained. "I wasn't too sure if Wigan wanted to keep me so I spoke to my agent, Frank, and he suggested the idea of playing in Australia.

"It sounded a good idea at the time and, after Wests said they were interested in me, it pretty much made my mind up.

"I thought it would be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to potentially play in the NRL and live in a city like Sydney and I'm really looking forward to it.

"It's a one-year deal with an extension if I do all right."
"I probably would have re-signed with Wigan if I had the chance but I wasn't getting a chance at the time and there wasn't much contact from them in terms of a new contract so I started to look elsewhere," he said.

"When I got my chance, I had already made my mind up that I wanted to go down there. It was one of those things, I suppose."
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

I would agree with the comments that Nobby does not treat youngsters right,but i cant understand the outcry that Flanagans leaving has caused. He is a reasonable player but nothing special,however he will probably come back a better player and perhaps that will benefit us.
Spanakopitta

Post by Spanakopitta »

i wrote on here a while back about the flanaghan thing and i'll reiterate it again

it was ian leneghan that didnt rate flanaghan not noble. IL told me this himself after murrayfield match. my fax fan boyfriend jokingly asked IL when halifax could have flanaghan back. IL said well we're letting him go, we've put this about and halifax haven't come in for him. IL didnt think he was big enough for a second rower.

a few weeks later, big back page spread on WEP with noble saying he rated flanaghan and that he deserved a chance.

so this to me speaks volumes! it also suggests that it isnt the coach that picks the team
GEER EM ONSIDE
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Spanakopitta wrote:i wrote on here a while back about the flanaghan thing and i'll reiterate it again

it was ian leneghan that didnt rate flanaghan not noble. IL told me this himself after murrayfield match. my fax fan boyfriend jokingly asked IL when halifax could have flanaghan back. IL said well we're letting him go, we've put this about and halifax haven't come in for him. IL didnt think he was big enough for a second rower.

a few weeks later, big back page spread on WEP with noble saying he rated flanaghan and that he deserved a chance.

so this to me speaks volumes! it also suggests that it isnt the coach that picks the team
Not it it doesn't. IL is on the record as saying youth is the way to go and yet Nobby persists in overlooking them unless forced into it. Also Noble could simply resign if there was that much interference from above.

On the team selection front I firmly believe Noble has been given a free hand and has in effect been given enough rope to hang himself because if there is a problem between IL and Noble it is IMO that Noble does not rate the younger players whereas IL does. Remember the comments from IL about the younger players being a big influence on turning our season around?

On the recruitment front that is a different issue and IL has made mistakes here. He has recruited players in every position but the one need and has done things like give Roberts a four year deal which is too long for a player of his age IMO. In fact player recruitment under IL has been less than inspiring all round and the only good thing that has happened is signing Sam T up long term and increase the wages of other young players.

Dave
pedro

Post by pedro »

DaveO wrote:
Spanakopitta wrote:i wrote on here a while back about the flanaghan thing and i'll reiterate it again

Not it it doesn't. IL is on the record as saying youth is the way to go and yet Nobby persists in overlooking them unless forced into it. Also Noble could simply resign if there was that much interference from above.

On the team selection front I firmly believe Noble has been given a free hand and has in effect been given enough rope to hang himself because if there is a problem between IL and Noble it is IMO that Noble does not rate the younger players whereas IL does. Remember the comments from IL about the younger players being a big influence on turning our season around?

On the recruitment front that is a different issue and IL has made mistakes here. He has recruited players in every position but the one need and has done things like give Roberts a four year deal which is too long for a player of his age IMO. In fact player recruitment under IL has been less than inspiring all round and the only good thing that has happened is signing Sam T up long term and increase the wages of other young players.

Dave
Let him go and sign Bailey.....oh dear god I despair at the club with him in charge I do.