Sean O'Loughlin is not a good captain!!!!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
white elephant

Re: Sean O'Loughlin is not a good captain!!!!!

Post by white elephant »

Football on GMR at 2pm, might give you updates. I know the main site is doing score updates as normal.
WIGAN TILL I DIE

exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

I am constantly amazed by the attidue of some Wigan "Supporters".
I have been at matches where we have totally humiliated the opposition and been sat near people who will do nothing but moan from before kick off to the end of the game, well actually abot 10 minutes before the end of the game, as they leave early always, probably because they live 10 minutes from the ground and want to avoid the traffic.
They usually seem to have one player that they, for some reason, need to scrutinise and watch them to the exclusion of all other things happening, just waiting for an error, no matter how small, to justify their already jaundiced view of that player.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

highland convert wrote:Some folk just can't help themselves. They just have to take that kick. Everybody on a high and sombody has to write up we ain't good enough before the first ball is played.
Sad, can we now expect another season where every error is pounded for all it is worth. Hope not
Jim
I am constantly amazed by the attidue of some Wigan "Supporters".
I have been at matches where we have totally humiliated the opposition and been sat near people who will do nothing but moan from before kick off to the end of the game, well actually abot 10 minutes before the end of the game, as they leave early always, probably because they live 10 minutes from the ground and want to avoid the traffic.
They usually seem to have one player that they, for some reason, need to scrutinise and watch them to the exclusion of all other things happening, just waiting for an error, no matter how small, to justify their already jaundiced view of that player.
Agree with both your posts, its pathetic how some people behave, especially before a ball has even been kicked... :conf:
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

warrior1973 wrote:
cpwigan wrote:
warrior1973 wrote:Well i guess Mike McGuire agrees cause O'Loughlin isnt the club captain anymore!!!.
No I think you will find Lockers is still our captain he might however be joined by 4 more players in a captaincy rotation. Are you going tomorrow?

Can I just alert you to a technological revolution. Once upon a time RL clubs did not even have coaches. Then they had coaches or captain/coaches. As we moved from the dark ages some bright sparks figured you could send messages from a high vantage point to pitch side by walkie talkie and convey messages to the players. A coach called John Monie used this system with amazing regularity to instruct Ellery Hanley who was a brilliant captain. Everybody uses it now too and even pose as Winston Churchill with a v signal for 2 points. Modern coaches like players to follow their instructions not for the captain to go off on a tangent and create his own plan. Amazingly they keep telling runners to send those messages to the players. I believe it happens at every RL club. Strange thing technology.
Maybe you should use this modern technology to put your dummy back into your mouth!!! lol. To even use Sean O'loghlins name in the same breath as Ellery Hanley must be coming from someone with great knowledge of the game!! haha
No I am just mystified at your timing and that no matter what Locketrs does he will be criticised by some. Just to remind you in this ongoing saga when we have changed the captain previously due to Lockers being injured there has been no improvement whatsoever. Now on the basis that you deem Lockers not worthy of the captaincy then surely that merans neither are those who have replaced him previously so MM's captain rotation is flawed.

The people that matter; players and coaches deem Lockers a very good captain and leader. Ellery was an outstanding captain but he was stripped of the captaincy on one or two occasions. Whatsmore, Greg and Edwards did the majority of the barking orders what the players talked about most was the example Ellery set. Oddly, that is what players talk about with Lockers. Deano was a decent captain but he led by example rather than shouting and screaming.

In fact from most positions on the pitch you cannot scream and shout. A winger, a centre, a second rower, a prop who interchanges and spends at least a quarter of the match on the bench. What many fans fail to realise that just shouting something to the next player to you is incredibly difficult when the DW is fairly full and fans are screaming. As it is in any Stadia and with any club.

No in modern RL the training ground is where you first set your example, do your planning and then on the pitch you continue to set your example but the coach sends instructions / reminders / observations onto the pitch with a runner.

How good a captain is Lockers. Let's see at the end of his career. I do know as a Junior captain he was the most successful captain in the history of RL.

Personally I more looking forward to seeing the players play and starting to form a game plan. I do not care if they win or lose the friendly as long as we can see some progression, some planning, some development.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

white elephant wrote:Troll !!! :angry:
why? because he has an opinion that goes against the mighty CPWigan :sly:
jobo

Post by jobo »

According to what been said to me by a very good source, closely related to Sean, the discussion about Captaincy was started by none other than Sean himself. MM has stated publicly that if Sean wanted to remain Captain, then he definitely would have his (MM)backing.

Maybe this decision has something to do with the slagging he's taken from the less informed supporter (dougie stand moaners). Some of these would boo Father Christmas.

As for Sean not being a good captain, CP is spot on. The coach instructs the captain, who in turn relays this info to the team.

exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

IMO Lockers suffers from two main disadvantages as a captain, neither of which he can affect. They are:

1) He's not Andy Farrell and

2) He is Andy Farrell's Brother in law.

Any captain coming after Farrell would have struggled, being judged against one of the best captains the club has had.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

I've seen debate run and run in various form since 2006.

I've come to the conclusion that Phil Clarke is on the mark when he says that vocal leadership from a captain is popular with fans becuase they can see it whereas it matters not one jot to the players.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Very true Rich. As a very successful captain IMO and this comes from 3 generations of captains. Players want a captain that leads by example, treats all players equally and will 'fight' for all those players. Much of the is especially at Pro level, day after day, the actual game is 80 minutes. 24/7 365 = the whole year.

Ranting impresses spectators. There are many times when the players are looking for the opposite and calmness, confidence and belief is much more important.
FROM A TO B

Post by FROM A TO B »

There are people far more qualified than Mr 1973, Mr CP or any other supporter to decide what makes a good captain.
If Lockers is good enough for MM and our previous coaches,then I respect their option as who to chose.

Must admit I do find it frustrating when this thread rears it's ugly head especially just prior to the start of the season, but hey, it's a free country.
Looking forward to how the rotation plans out and when one of the other players gets picked as captain, I won't be holding my breath waiting for an "Isn't ****** crap as captain"
:roll:
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered
Warrior came
Warrior saw
Warrior conquered