Petty bickering LOCKED

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
GeoffN

Re: Salary Cap !!! Look !!!!

Post by GeoffN »

cpwigan wrote:It's a tragedy in many respects that RL is the only sport, maybe profession where salaries have depreciated so much in the last 10-20 years.

People can say K Pryce is not a big earner but at 70K he is on a very good wage especially when you compare it to what young players are receiving. I know of 1 young player who turned down a contract offer of 1K. Conversely you then say but KP is not a big earner but Lockers gets 110K and Coley gets 80K so you start to ask yourself it is right for KP to get as close a salary to those players.

As Jim alludes 1.6 million is not a big pot when you start looking at how many players a RL club requires. Get your player signings wrong and it hurts you big time. Likewise injuries hurt you big time.

I read Stevo prattling about the number of Easter fixtures producing a low standard of RL. The small squad size and poor quality of those squads brought about by the salary cap is a far bigger factor. Without a salary cap, Castleford would have made some signing domestically and/or brought in some new overseas players. Had it not been for loans and dual lease imasgine how poor they would have been.
While I very much agree with your general point, I'm not sure about it applying to Cas (and the other smaller clubs), who I don't think are spending the full cap, though I might be wrong. The last thing we would want is for them to be overspending and getting into financial trouble, which was the original idea behind the cap before it was corrupted.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

The cap does not allow clubs to alleviate emergencies such as a loss of form whereby they can sign a second player and know they are going to get rid of the player playing poorly unless he improves. It forces you to put all your eggs in one basket and if a player gets injured then you are left with very little in reserve. Depth or rather lack of it is a real issue in SL. The player supply issue should have been addressed before introducing a cap otherwise you get the embarassing situation whereby new franchises with advantageous discretions can make wholesale foreign player signings of mediocre overseas players and be competitive such as the Crusaders.

I do think it should be a minimum requirementof a SL franchise that a franchise spend the maximum re the cap. It is not possible under present regulations. Perhaps the cap should not be a maximum figure but rather a minimum figure and clubs are then free to spend above that provided they only spend a % of their income. So rather than beinng restrictive, the cap encourages excellent off the field in order to raise the bar on the field.
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

Panchitta Marra wrote:Unless his recent 12 month extension to his contract was manditory, I dont think Madge would have continued with his services.
This bloke has sadly been a big let down, poor confidence or no poor confidence.
I bet many people on this would make cracking professional Rugby League players with his height and bulk.
The 12 month extension was signed prior to Madge's appointment.
The reason behind the contract extension was as Ian Lenegan openely stated "he is the most talented rugby player I have ever seen".
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

Shaun1967 wrote:
Panchitta Marra wrote:Unless his recent 12 month extension to his contract was manditory, I dont think Madge would have continued with his services.
This bloke has sadly been a big let down, poor confidence or no poor confidence.
I bet many people on this would make cracking professional Rugby League players with his height and bulk.
The reason behind the contract extension was as Ian Lenegan openely stated "he is the most talented rugby player I have ever seen".
As IL stated, Pryce maybe has talent, but up to now he hasnt shown it to Wigan.
Is it the blokes confidence, maybe even related to previous injury(s).
Is he lazy and not prepared to put the mileage in to get to where Madge wants him to be.
Is he just prepared to take the easy money option, getting paid for Reserve grade games.
What are peoples thoughts on the Karl Pryce scenario, without slagging the bloke off.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Panchitta Marra wrote:
Shaun1967 wrote:
As IL stated, Pryce maybe has talent, but up to now he hasnt shown it to Wigan.
Is it the blokes confidence, maybe even related to previous injury(s).
Is he lazy and not prepared to put the mileage in to get to where Madge wants him to be.
Is he just prepared to take the easy money option, getting paid for Reserve grade games.
What are peoples thoughts on the Karl Pryce scenario, without slagging the bloke off.
Besides the obvious, as far as I am concerned, he is not a team player.

At the reserve Grand Final v Saints last season, there was a brawl in the far corner of the North/East stands. Twenty five players were involved out of twenty six - guess who was stood there with hands on hips watching.....

After the game the lads & coaching staff had a celebratory meal at the stadium before hitting the town - guess who didn't go to either......
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
weststand-rich

Post by weststand-rich »

I'll be honest - I'm disappointed that KP hasn't come up to standard. When we signed him I knew it was gamble but was much more worried about his injury comback than his rugby ability. I was genuinely excited at his prospects and though he would make a great winger. Hands up. I was way off the mark and completely wrong

I think Josie is on the bob here. He's not a team player and frankly just can't be ar$ed.
scouse warrior

Post by scouse warrior »

cpwigan wrote: :lol: Give the thread creator benefit of the doubt GP. I was slightly wrong BTW Pryce is 70K but Coley is 80K
dont know who you have checked with but I know both those figures are wrong. This is a stupid thread and anyone who thinks (like the person responisble for this thread) that Fielden, Coley and Pryce should only be getting £5 a game is a complete moron! Funny enough other than Fielden and Lockers, non- of the other big earners have been mentioned in this thread! Which tells me you all know very little. Does it really matter anyway???
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

:wink: Those figures came from a Wigan RLFC player. I daresay you know better. :roll:
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

scouse warrior wrote:
cpwigan wrote: :lol: Give the thread creator benefit of the doubt GP. I was slightly wrong BTW Pryce is 70K but Coley is 80K
dont know who you have checked with but I know both those figures are wrong. This is a stupid thread and anyone who thinks (like the person responisble for this thread) that Fielden, Coley and Pryce should only be getting £5 a game is a complete moron! Funny enough other than Fielden and Lockers, non- of the other big earners have been mentioned in this thread! Which tells me you all know very little. Does it really matter anyway???
What? Where does £5 per game come from?
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

GeoffN wrote:
scouse warrior wrote:
What? Where does £5 per game come from?
Uncle Mo's book: Spirit of the Salary Cap - HarperCollins 947-2-20-295475-1
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame