what do people think / Ryan Hoffman and Jeff Lima

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ian b

Re: what do people think / Ryan Hoffman and Jeff Lima

Post by ian b »

j658 wrote:
cherrywarrior wrote:I just dont understand why we need to shell out more money on old Aussies coming across for a last big pay cheque
The Storm players we are reported to be interested in are Ryan Hoffman 26, Jeff Lima 28, Brett Finch 28, Anthony Quinn 27. None of them are past it, in fact all could be said to be peak age for their positions. All have rep honours at SOO or full international level. They are exactly the type of players we should be targeting to complement the excellent youngsters we are bringing through, especially if 1 or 2 of those young players gets to go to Oz for a year to train and play in the NRL as is rumoured.
we dont need 4 more Aussies,i dont care how good they are
jobo

Post by jobo »

ian b wrote:
j658 wrote:
cherrywarrior wrote:I just dont understand why we need to shell out more money on old Aussies coming across for a last big pay cheque
The Storm players we are reported to be interested in are Ryan Hoffman 26, Jeff Lima 28, Brett Finch 28, Anthony Quinn 27. None of them are past it, in fact all could be said to be peak age for their positions. All have rep honours at SOO or full international level. They are exactly the type of players we should be targeting to complement the excellent youngsters we are bringing through, especially if 1 or 2 of those young players gets to go to Oz for a year to train and play in the NRL as is rumoured.
we dont need 4 more Aussies,i dont care how good they are
:eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2: :eusa2:
platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

Yes we do, have faith in the coach.Have you been on another planet this season.MM has used a largely inherited side,if you were offered a top four finish this time last season you would have snatched their hand off.Have an opinion by all means but let nature take it's course.
ian b

Post by ian b »

platt-warrior wrote:Yes we do, have faith in the coach.Have you been on another planet this season.MM has used a largely inherited side,if you were offered a top four finish this time last season you would have snatched their hand off.Have an opinion by all means but let nature take it's course.
so we flood the side with Aussies again and the young talent gets pushed out and then they leave for another club and then the Aussies go back and the club goes back to square one.Oh De Ja Vu!
THE 18th Man

Post by THE 18th Man »

young talent isnt being flushed out at all.

Quinn would be for Carmont as Daz would move to centre and Quinn on the wing. Hoffman is a replacement for Bailey, Finch is a replacement for Piggy so tommy can move to 9 and Lima is a replacement for Feka. its not shutting out talent its just upgrading our current overseas players. this year should have proved Maguire is willing to give young talent a go
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

THE 18th Man wrote:young talent isnt being flushed out at all.

Quinn would be for Carmont as Daz would move to centre and Quinn on the wing. Hoffman is a replacement for Bailey, Finch is a replacement for Piggy so tommy can move to 9 and Lima is a replacement for Feka. its not shutting out talent its just upgrading our current overseas players. this year should have proved Maguire is willing to give young talent a go
Totally agree. The club has proved its views on young players
ian b

Post by ian b »

PorterjohLam wrote:Well said.

Some people are clueless.

You cannot just build a team of 'homegrown' (how I hate that word) talent. It has to be supplemented with class talent.

For the record, Hoffman can apparently also play prop according to some aussies I know, but I'm not sure how true that is. If it is, that's him and Mossop who could feasibly switch between the two.

At least we're not signing guys over 30 on big deals like at certain times in the past.
its a bitch going through life being clueless oh great one
warrior1973

Post by warrior1973 »

Of the 4 players mentioned, only Finch is vastly over rated and not worth buying. The other 3 Hoffman Lima and Quin would be good assets for us. Even though Finch has an impressive CV, the guy is crap!!!!. Picture Tim Smith but with more errors in his game. He left the Roosters cause they didnt want him, then left the Eals cause they didnt want him, then the Storm threw him a lifeline. Before he went to the storm he was out of the game for 6 months cause he couldnt find a club to go to. Craig Ballamy signed him as a link player to feed the ball out quickly to their speedy backs. Alot of his reputation is built on a drop goal he got to win NSW an Origin game but he only played because NSW were struggling to find a half back due to injurys.
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

What I have seen of them, Lima would be first choice for me, Finch, then Quinn. Hoffman no matter how good isn't really needed as we have enough talent in the second row.
Personally I'd be going for a prop and a hooker, but in Madge we trust.

If I could have anyone from Aus it would be MoiMoi, or Sam Thaiday, we need a big, impressive, trail blazing, leave 'em on the floor prop.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
cherrywarrior

Post by cherrywarrior »

Yeah I agree we cant have a side full of home grown players, but if we are not carefull we will end up with a squad full of overpaid Aussies and an entire generation of youngsters lost to other super league clubs...again...

My question is why do we need another Aussie 2nd rower to replace Bailey? Surely if Bails is leaving it means for two 2nd rower positions and one on the bench we have Joel T, Harrison, Farrell (Gaz Hock???) Mossop, with (again if the stories are true) Fielden, Coley, Prescott, OCarrol, and Tuson fighting it out over 2 starting and 2 sub prop places, bringing Davies and Holland through the ranks next year.
Wish list: Billy Slater please!!!!!!!!