Should Pat Richards be in the running for...

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
platt-warrior

Re: Should Pat Richards be in the running for...

Post by platt-warrior »

Mrs Amiobe's lad from Millom?
TonyH

Post by TonyH »

UnsungPanapa wrote:Jessica Ennis for me
You definately would aswell wouldn't ya?

I fookin would!
Up The Mont!
cook123

Post by cook123 »

how can Pat richards win it - he isn't English?

jessica ennis will prob win it this year she came close last year i think.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

platt-warrior wrote:Mrs Amiobe's lad from Millom?
No Kirksanton :lol:
THE 18th Man

Post by THE 18th Man »

cook123 wrote:how can Pat richards win it - he isn't English?

neither is Ryan Giggs. i know saying he should be in the running is too far but the fact that the best player in this sport at this time in this country wont get any praise from anybody below Birmingham aswell as past examples in this thread such as Ellery Hanley is just insulting to the athletes.

p.s. i think Jess Ennis should win it aswell :D
MrDave

Post by MrDave »

cook123 wrote:how can Pat richards win it - he isn't English?

Doesn't have to be English, the last three winners haven't been English. Not exactly sure what the criteria are for the award since there are is an 'Overseas Player Of the Year' award but people born outside of the British Isles have won the award before because they where representing Britain. Technically Pat Richards represents Ireland and does qualify for an Irish passport although as good as season as Pat has had it is hardly going to grab the attention of the nation when rugby league is such a small sport.

Remember rugby league gets all of 10 seconds on the Sports Personality of the Year show in which they show challenge cup highlights, mention the 'other' competition and then show England being trashes by the Aussies in the end of season test.
UnsungPanapa

Post by UnsungPanapa »

Mr Calazagi or Mr Giggs weren't English either, Technically Pats Irish, it doesn't really matter as our sport will get 2 minutes of the programs 120, at best to review our season.

When you see the crowds that were at the Athletics European Championships you wonder why that is held in more esteem than other sports with much bigger show piece events.
doc

Post by doc »

The Sports Personality vote is allegedly fiddled. Bob Nudd, the former world fishing champion, was rumoured to have won it twice after campaigns in the angling media but somehow didn't get in the final nominations.
East Stand Al

Post by East Stand Al »

Why would he want such a meaningless title when he will get Man of Steel. They should give Sports Personality of the Year to James Roby. He robbed Trent of Man of Steel so they changed the rules. If he robbed Jessica Ennis there might be a public outcry and Phil Taylor (who deserves it) might actually stand a chance the year after.
The future's bright, it's cherry & white.
sheepsteeth

Post by sheepsteeth »

He's not British, he's either Irish or Australian but either way he isn't british.
If it could go to Irishmen I'm sure Harrington would have won it when he won 2 Majors in the same year.
Let's be realistic, Faz never won it and he won man of steel and the golden boot in the same year!!

Phil Taylor for mine!![/b]