Paul Deacon

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Lil Feka's Dad

Re: Paul Deacon

Post by Lil Feka's Dad »

cpwigan wrote:I think you may be reading too much into it. Deacon is a damn good back up in case somebody gets injured.
I'd even go further than that and say that he's the difference between us getting to (and hopefully winning) the Grand Final.

Against Leeds he proved his importance in the "tight" games, and I still believe we could have won against Warrington if he was introduced earlier.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

botica wrote:However how would that effect his contract, payscale etc. I thought it was structured to pay him extra when on staff to compensate him for the lower money as a player. His decision though and hope they can work something out x
With Deacon if we agreed to pay him extra next year as a coach for taking a lower wage this year then whatever we pay him in 2011 as player and/or coach counts on the salary cap if he features as a player.

Dave
tonyteastain

Post by tonyteastain »

Think its a good idea. He has really seemed to hit some form the last few games, his kicking game is 2nd to non. im all for it. obviously he will be fighting for a place in the squad under the system so no danger of him being out there just for the sake of it, yeah good idea in my books
Salsa Caliente

Post by Salsa Caliente »

When he's been able to play, Deacs has proven himself to be a good acquisition for the club with his kicking game and experience.

With the players we have coming in and the potential return of Gaz Hock next season, we'll have to watch the Salary Cap. Saying that though, Deacs is a good guy to have in the rotation and if he carries on next season like this, he'll be useful for the experience to back up the younger players.

The good thing is that it's now a live cap which means that there can't be any foul ups unlike with the previous administration.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

On the cap point, I wonder how they will count Hock. If say, he was on effectively 80k a year last year and 80k a year next year, but in each case he is only playing and being paid for half the year(ish), then that can't count as 160k surely? That would be bonkers.
100% Warrior

Post by 100% Warrior »

Been very impressed with Deacs performances over the past few weeks, he's really helped in marshalling the team around the pitch. Fingers crossed he can stay injury free and add another Grand Final winners ring to his collection.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Hock will only count for the part of the season he signs from. He has never to my knowledge been paid £160,000 in a season.
cherrywarrior

Post by cherrywarrior »

deacon has been the differemce between our mid season blip and now... pure class!
Wish list: Billy Slater please!!!!!!!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

cpwigan wrote:Hock will only count for the part of the season he signs from.
It does not work like that. A player is given a salary cap value and whatever ever that is, the entire lot counts on the cap even if he only plays half a season. So if, for the sake of argument, Hock gets paid £160K a year on his return (meaning he would get roughly £80K as he would play about half a season) then the full £160K counts on the cap.

It works like this to make mid-season transfers work.

For example if Coley was on £120K next season and we sold him two months before the end of the season then if £120K became available on our cap we could sign two Aussie test stars on £15K a month for the last two months of the season!!!

That is clearly not going to be allowed and the way they prevent it is with this salary cap value idea.

In my example of Coley above if he left we could sign another player with a salary cap value of £120K. The fact we only paid him two months wages totalling £20K is irrelevant to his value on our cap.

Dave
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I would surmise Dave that Hock's contract would be Season 1 - A low figure to reflect the fact he will start midseason. Season 2 back to normal. I am fairly certain Dave that contracts even now are not a set figure for each and every season and often increase season on season or are backended.