Norman Cherrington RIP

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
BriH

Re: Norman Cherrington RIP

Post by BriH »

We are all showing our age!
I remember seeing Norman playing for Wigan vs Whitehaven. Like everybody has said, he was a tough opponent and our pack, at that time, was also to be reckoned with so there was always a great forward tussle. I also remember the rest of that formidable Wigan pack particularly Brian McTigue who was one of the best forwards I have seen.
Thanks for the memories Norman and RIP.
A49

Post by A49 »

Delighted that I am not the only one to remember Norman Cherrington flooring the great Vinty.

As a result, I think Cherrington was possibly the only player Karalius gave a wide berth to in his entire career.

With his all-round skill, speed and iron hardness, he was in my opinion, one of Wigan's finest who somehow seemed to miss out when accolades were flying for other players of his era.

If memory serves me, he often formed a formidable partnership with that late, great character Frank Collier.
Kittwazzer

Post by Kittwazzer »

A49 wrote:
If memory serves me, he often formed a formidable partnership with that late, great character Frank Collier.
Another man I knew very well. Frank was a regular in my local. Went well before his time, another old boy who made his own decision he had had enough of this world!
LORENZO

Post by LORENZO »

Sadly, we only get to remember that great side of the 1950/60 era now when someone passes on. What a great pack that was. Seem to remember Norman as a high stepping runner that made tackling him around the legs very difficult.
Greatest memory was one cold muddy day when the ball went into the scrum and disappeared. They were all looking for the ball, but big Frank Collier kept his back to the ref as he had it tucked up his jumper. Great fun and something that is perhaps missing in the present day professionalism.

You will be long remembered Norman.
bobbyb

Post by bobbyb »

i worked down the mines with both FRANK COLLIER and that other great prop forward JOHN BARTON the gentle giant john died to soon also.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

the team in the picture top left to right:

John Barton, Bill Sayer, Brian McTigue, Frank Collier, Norman Cherrington, Ernie Ashcroft, Roy evans; Rees Thomas, Mick sullivan, Eric Ashton (c), David Bolton, Jack Cunliffe, Billy Boston.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

ancientnloyal wrote:the team in the picture top left to right:

John Barton, Bill Sayer, Brian McTigue, Frank Collier, Norman Cherrington, Ernie Ashcroft, Roy evans; Rees Thomas, Mick sullivan, Eric Ashton (c), David Bolton, Jack Cunliffe, Billy Boston.
Bolton, Boston and Sullivan are still alive but apart from them? the rest deceased?
sudokuwarrior

Post by sudokuwarrior »

R.I.P. Norman
The futures Brett, The future's orange!!!

2007- A fan-tash-tic season!!!!!!!