Sell Goulding

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
southernpie

Re: Sell Goulding

Post by southernpie »

Goulding could be blamed for one try, the third try for straying too far inside. However even then it is arguable how much this was was because of Gleeson's injury and Goulding having to cover Gleeson because Gleeson couldnt keep up with his centre and it was no coincidence that Gleeson went off straight away after this. Prior to this players were getting on the outside of Gleeson time and again, as he too was left with too many players. They were also doing the same with Joel when he was at centre. The problems stemmed from a long way inside Goulding, Gleeson and Leuluai and I would imagine the second rows and forwards will get the brunt of the blame from Maguire for being lazy in drifting.

No one seems to mention all the tries Goulding saved with ball and all tackles on the centre when faced with 2 v 1. There were at least 3 occasions when the ball went to ground due to tackles by Goulding which prevented the ball being passed to the winger. If Goulding had stayed rooted to his wing and just marked his man then there would have been far more tries scored and the very same people who are criticising him would have still criticised him for standing there and doing nothing. I seriously doubt the people that are trying to blame Goulding have actually played the game as they show no knowledge of it.
Well said, my only comment after the match was that the skill we used to see from fullbacks like G Connolly and Radders where they would come across the back and hit an attacking winger in the midrift, cutting him in half and usually sending him in touch seems to have disappeared.
This St Helens Defence is like a lollipopman at Brands Hatch -Ray French BBC TV Challenge Cup 1982

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-55dq ... Botica.jpg [/img]

https://picasaweb.google.com/nogireman/ ... SDELRUGBY#
OJ

Post by OJ »

I know you're disappointed Kol but have a day off, that is a terrible post. If Goulding had managed to hold on to that intercepted pass late on in the game and gone the length of the field and scored a fabulous try I suppose you would be saying something completely different. Sometimes things go for you in sport and sometimes you have an off night. Leave him alone and act your age rather than your shoe size
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

cumbria_warrior

Post by cumbria_warrior »

How many tries did goulding get last year? I think 25 super league ones anyway. Any other year he would of been top try scorer as only Pat beat him, Think before you post cr*p kol
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

I criticised Goulding but as is often the case what you see at the game with all the emotion of the occasion is not always a fair reflection of true events. Having now seen the Sky coverage a couple of times its clear there was an issue with our sliding which left Goulding in a no win situation. The difference between our attack and theirs was that, as I've mentioned before, by each of our players passing along the line to the player next to them we allowed them to mark us man for man meaning that when Goulding received the ball in attack it was usually from a yard away with no space to go inside or outside of the winger. When they had the ball they had plenty of time to decide what to do. Those who have rewatched the game and are still laying the blame solely at Goulding's feet on the basis of the theory that every player should always go for their opposite number should really be questioning why their centre wasn't already being tackled, ie why did Goulding even have a decision to make?
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

matt3009

Post by matt3009 »

i better watch out as i just had an off day at the office, i may get the sack today :craz:
Kol

Post by Kol »

Hang on a minute....we do support the same team. The only difference is that I want Wigan to win. The only way we can do this is to improve the team constantly until we get it right.

We have had to shed players over the past,who have did not meet the playing requirement in complimenting the team to make us champions; including coaches.

How many of you reading this have thought "he's a disappointing player" or "This coach just inst doing it, he should go".

Would you have been so attacking at me if I was talking about Doc Murry or the likes? or would you say "Awwww... he's trying, lets keep him, he's a really nice person..."

No, you wouldnt. The only way to win and be champions is to get rid of the ones that are not up to the mark.

25 trys last season for Goulding??? most of them he fell on by having a great centre in his inside who timed the pass to perfection.

Richards and Roberts are World Class wingers and are worthy to be in the team as they have vision and natural talent.

Break me in half and I am Cherry and White Hoops, I also started the Supporters Action Campaign to save Central Park, including getting a plane to fly over Wigan carrying a banner out, paid out of my own pocket. Where were you???

Those who slated the original thread, it is nothing personal at Goulding, he could do well at another club that is happy with being runner up.
No one is to stone anybody until I blow this whistle!
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Richards and Robeets are ndeed world class, as is
Goulding.
If you can guarantee, 100% that neither Richards nor Roberts will get an injury for the whole of the 2011 campaign, then get rid of Goulding......
oops Richards is out already, and looks like being that way for another month.
Richards didn't exactly score many length of the field tries last season did he?
RL is a team game we need finishers just as much as creators of tries.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

If some you attended reserve games you would know that Goulding played most of them at centre.

As for the game on Sunday, a great deal of the blame rests with the decision to play a not fully fit Gleeson.
gpartin

Post by gpartin »

Not sure why going down the route of who's the best supporter has got to do with anything to be honest. At worst he is our 3rd best Winger although his worst performances haven't been as bad as Roberts' worst by some margin. He's better than Roberts at catching high balls to the corner under pressure from what I've seen and I think it is also fair to say that if its possible for one man to lose a game for us then Roberts has been more guilty of that than Goulding. Lets be fair here its consistency that wins titles and I doubt anyone would argue Roberts is more consistent. Goulding may not score the memorable classy tries which Roberts is capable of but its very rare he's not done what has been asked of him and the type of game we play means we will score a lot of tries from cut-out passes to the wings. Goulding is as good as anyone at finishing these, he doesn't go off at the first sign of injury and he's always willing to come in field and help the forwards out. I can't think of any suitable replacements
Gareth Thomas before his first game: "You wanna spend 10 mins getting smashed up by these guys..Big dudes here.."

gillysmyhero

Post by gillysmyhero »

Sorry Kol but Goulding had a better game than Roberts on Sunday IMO but i wouldn't say get rid of Roberts.