No Goulding YET

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: No Goulding YET

Post by cpwigan »

There is no leniency Bilko. Once a player steps out as a first team player they are expected to do that job irrespective of age and experience by the other 16 players in the teams. Fans are fickle and expectations vary but for those players in the team, you wear the shirt, you are a player.

Re defence; I am not sure fans even realise how hard it is to defend out wide in the modern era. First and foremost, you are dependent on all those inside you making the right decisions. Jon Wells gave a very good critique after Good Friday. A player at A marker or 3 and 4 inside gets it wrong and those at 1 and 2 look poor.

In the NRL what I saw and it was explained by Phil Gould far better than I ever could. In a bad situation the outside man hits straight and hard to try to disrupt the attack and either slow it down or force a mistake. The drift defence then covers around the back almost circling to pick up the pieces.

Pro Rl is way beyond what we know and understand and may as well be a different sport than say amateur RL. You can be assured fans will continue to blame players though:roll:
doc

Post by doc »

I think the main problem with our defence on the wings is that the inside players aren't drifting as well as last season. Last year if the opposition got an overlap there would be a couple of players coming across field behind the winger to make cover tackles. This year they aren't getting there quick enough.
lancaster4499

Post by lancaster4499 »

doc- this is where we miss an experienced centre!! as when glesson was defending in the centre he was very good at defending his position and organising the sliding defence!!! if you have noticed we have leaked more points in games with out an experienced centre then we did with gleeson playing

16,10,21 when gleeson and 16,12,22,47,16 and 24 without him

"To be the man you have to beat the man"