Latics staying up: Good or bad?

Got anything else on your mind that isn't about the Warriors? If you do, this is the place to post.
Kittwazzer

Re: Latics staying up: Good or bad?

Post by Kittwazzer »

I have never been able to get excited about football. It just doesn't do it for me.

That said, Latics defied all the odds to earn another year as unwanted guests of the Premier League. Good on em.

With our win as well, I am especially proud to be a Wiganer today! :)
Kiwiseddon

Post by Kiwiseddon »

The main reason I posted was in relation to the stadium. I'm not really clued up on the financial implications of Latics staying up.

The way that I saw it (although I'll happily accept that I'm wrong) was that Latics going down would probably bolster our fan base but them staying up means a certain amount of financial security in relation to the stadium.

What are the thoughts?
"K"

"But look at, look at Lydon go here...Remniscent of those two great tries when he won the Lance Todd... He's got Hanley inside him. He's going all the way..........."
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

I agree re the Stadium but in terms of fans all that happens is that Wiganers go to Manchester or Merseyside and watch football there. I do think sporting success enhances the town's reputation and I am alarmed how pre-conceived and misguided opinions are of people who have never been here. Historically, Wigan seems to have conjured up an awful 'unfair' reputation.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Firstly well done Latics.

I agree with CP here if Latics got relegated we wouldnt win their fans, Im not a football fan and can not claim to support any club or watch any matches but I always look at the results and want the Latics to win.

If the Latics got relegated that pitch we share wouldnt get maintained as much wouldnt get relaid when needed etc it would go back to being in awful condition eventually and that would do us more harm than good.

As it is they stayed up and the facilities will stay tip top :wink:
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

Ever since they got to the premier i have wanted them to fail and be relegated. Yesterday i hoped again only to see them survive by the skin of thier teeth, and when the wife said i bet your gutted i replied that thay had done well to get 7 points from the last 9 and fair play to them.

I couldn't believe what i had said, but the more i think the more i say fair enough.

The latics have been in the premier long enough now and its had no effect on us, the rivalry seems to be turning more into friendly banter and when you think about it, it can only be good for sport in the town.

StarAndy

Post by StarAndy »

For all that has been said in the past years about DW he is the man who funded the 30 million pound project that gave us an all seated stadium where we play today, and as stated earlier renews the pitch as and when its needed, he moved over when the time was right and put the club up for sale but said it would only be sold to "a genuine wigan fan"
IL was Daves choice.

Lets give credit where its due and wish him and Wigan Athletic all the best for their future because I for one think he will be wishing Wigan Rugby all the best.

I dont like football but when I saw him on the pitch being sprayed with champers and the joy on his face I have to admit I was pleased for him, the town and the club.

platt-warrior

Post by platt-warrior »

StarAndy wrote:For all that has been said in the past years about DW he is the man who funded the 30 million pound project that gave us an all seated stadium where we play today, and as stated earlier renews the pitch as and when its needed, he moved over when the time was right and put the club up for sale but said it would only be sold to "a genuine wigan fan"
IL was Daves choice.

Lets give credit where its due and wish him and Wigan Athletic all the best for their future because I for one think he will be wishing Wigan Rugby all the best.

I dont like football but when I saw him on the pitch being sprayed with champers and the joy on his face I have to admit I was pleased for him, the town and the club.
Well posted :eusa2: :eusa2:
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

If it brings some joy & happiness to some people in these difficult times, economically, then fair play to them.

It's not affected our gates at all, if anything they are increasing (even with said recessionary problems for many Wiganers)- we've had 3 x 20,000 crowds already.