Joel moves closer to RU switch

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
OJ

Re: Joel moves closer to RU switch

Post by OJ »

Joel will undoubtedly be a huge loss to us and don't know if this has already been mentioned or not but I just wonder what or even if the RFL would have done anything drastic if there had been a prospect of us losing Sam at the same time. If that happened we couldn't blame IL for saying enough is enough and telling the RFL he was pulling Wigan out of the league and it may come down to something as extreme as that in time if they don't so something to stop our best players being bribed away in this way. Apart from the issue of contracts not being worth the paper they are written on which is well out of order I don't blame Joel or any other player for doing the best for themselves that they can. I guess if he does go to union we won't see him again until he is covered in fake tan and appearing on Strictly Come Dancing :roll:
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

enterprisecranes

Money makes the world go round.

Post by enterprisecranes »

Wigan back-rower Joel Tomkins can understand why players such as Kyle Eastmond are tempted by Rugby Union, but he himself intends to stay in Rugby League.
There are many in the game currently expressing concerns about how young talent may be persuaded to move to the 15-man code, but Tomkins feels that moving is a big risk for anyone.

“It’s pretty tough at the moment for Rugby League and the difference in the salary cap between League and Union,” he told Code13.

“Union can offer a lot more money. In a way it isn’t fair, but if there’s s club offering a young lad twice what he’s earning at a Super League club, or even three or four times, then you can’t blame them for signing it.”

But the England second-row, who committed his long-term future to the Warriors just before the new campaign stared, has no plans to leave Rugby League or the DW Stadium.

“No, not now,” he insisted. “But I can’t comment on these players who are getting offered big deals. Sometimes it seems like the best option for them.

I’m happy at Wigan, there are too many horror stories about people going to Union and playing reserve grade and they just get lost“I’m happy at Wigan playing in this team. We’ve got a backbone of young players here and I want to stay around and play rugby with my best friends.”

josie andrews

Re: Money makes the world go round.

Post by josie andrews »

Link please - I can't find anything on Code 13's site pertaining to this post!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote:Link please - I can't find anything on Code 13's site pertaining to this post!
http://www.code13rugbyleague.com/2011/0 ... gby-union/
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

Got all excited then that Joel was staying but this article was done in March. :(
eccywarrior

Post by eccywarrior »

see how things change in 7 months.
IN WANE WE TRUST
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I can't see the point of that post as it was dated Wednesday 9th March 2011
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote:I can't see the point of that post as it was dated Wednesday 9th March 2011
The point is it was only March this year and not long after he had signed a new five year deal with Wigan he was being quoted as saying:

“I’m happy at Wigan playing in this team. We’ve got a backbone of young players here and I want to stay around and play rugby with my best friends.”

So the point is since he ended up at the James Grant sports agency which was about a month ago it means he is now no longer "happy at Wigan playing in this team" and does not "want to stay around and play rugby with his best friends".

And this about face happened between March and September in a cup winning year when he scored the try of the season so he was hardly in a bad place.

If he does move I hope someone flings that quote back at him and asks him what has changed.
OJ

Post by OJ »

Sadly Dave he would probably lower his Gucci shades, look you straight in the eye and tell you sh*t happens. Not right but seems to be the way of the world at the moment.
Never argue with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

DaveO wrote:
josie andrews wrote:I can't see the point of that post as it was dated Wednesday 9th March 2011
The point is it was only March this year and not long after he had signed a new five year deal with Wigan he was being quoted as saying:

“I’m happy at Wigan playing in this team. We’ve got a backbone of young players here and I want to stay around and play rugby with my best friends.”

So the point is since he ended up at the James Grant sports agency which was about a month ago it means he is now no longer "happy at Wigan playing in this team" and does not "want to stay around and play rugby with his best friends".

And this about face happened between March and September in a cup winning year when he scored the try of the season so he was hardly in a bad place.

If he does move I hope someone flings that quote back at him and asks him what has changed.
I tell you what happened. He got offered a lot more money which will know doubt set him up for the rest of his LIFE not just playing career.

I'm currently happy in my job and like my work mates/environment but if I got a job offer with a 10k increase I'd be off in a shot.

Nobody can blame him.