WHO OF OUR BACKS HAS ANY PACE?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: WHO OF OUR BACKS HAS ANY PACE?

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

DaveO wrote:
sheepsteeth wrote:before i go any further Sam is a full back!

i remember a few years ago that harris used to start at 1 for leeds and then move to 6 when powell went off.

now why don't we when amos is fit do something similar?

play sam at 1 and then when we move tommy to 9 for a spell, shift sam into the halves and bring amos of the bench to play at full back.

just at thought!!
Or why don't we just do the sensible thing and play Roberts at 1 and Sam at 6 from the off and not waste a bench spot?

The hoops people seem to want to jump through so Sam can stay at 1 are amazing. IMO he needs to be dictating play rather than finishing things off because not enough is being set up for him in the first place.

TL and Micky Mac to share the hooking and that is the only positional change when one of them goes off. Not the stupid musical chairs we have at the moment.
I find myself agreeing wit you again Dave.

Edwards started at fullback in the first team, learned his trade and moved back to 6/7 and became one of the best halfbacks I have ever seen. Sam is in the same mould as Giz and it's now time he reverted back to No6. Everybody knows that in RL you want your best players handling the ball most - Sam is our best player and in my view wasted.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
bazward76

Post by bazward76 »

Totally agree with you. Amos when fit is the man for the fullback job as was proved in his performances before his run of injuries. Sam defo needs to be switched back to stand off. At present our halfbacks if they do manage to create a gap don't have the pace off the mark to get through it. Sam has the pace to see a gap and get through it and a switch back to no6 would allow him to do this on a more regular basis as he is limited when he's at fullback. I'd also try switching Josh and Pat. Its becoming a regular occurance now seeing Carmont put Richards into space only to see him closed down all too quickly cos of his lack of pace, where as Josh if given the space has got the explosion off the mark to beat the defenders.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

I can never understand this lets play someone at scrum half then move him to hooker.

Your half backs should be the same throughout the match, they need to understand each other and learn thier game. Not have to spend the first few seconds with the ball trying to remember who the half back is.

And Lockers at 6, I have yet to speak to anyone who thinks this is a good idea, except for wigan coaches.
markill

Post by markill »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
DaveO wrote:
sheepsteeth wrote:before i go any further Sam is a full back!

i remember a few years ago that harris used to start at 1 for leeds and then move to 6 when powell went off.

now why don't we when amos is fit do something similar?

play sam at 1 and then when we move tommy to 9 for a spell, shift sam into the halves and bring amos of the bench to play at full back.

just at thought!!
Or why don't we just do the sensible thing and play Roberts at 1 and Sam at 6 from the off and not waste a bench spot?

The hoops people seem to want to jump through so Sam can stay at 1 are amazing. IMO he needs to be dictating play rather than finishing things off because not enough is being set up for him in the first place.

TL and Micky Mac to share the hooking and that is the only positional change when one of them goes off. Not the stupid musical chairs we have at the moment.

Edwards started at fullback in the first team, learned his trade and moved back to 6/7 and became one of the best halfbacks I have ever seen. Sam is in the same mould as Giz and it's now time he reverted back to No6. Everybody knows that in RL you want your best players handling the ball most - Sam is our best player and in my view wasted.
Darren Lockyer is another example. But I think it's too soon to move Sam out of full back though - this is currently his most dangerous and best position and his defence there (Larne Patrick aside) is better than anyone else we have at the club currently. I would keep him in FB for another 2-3 years before moving him up to 6 when the appropriate player comes through. We can't rely on the idea of putting Amos there and Pat isn't a full-back in todays game
in the world of mules, there are no rules

LATEST PODCAST EPISODE
https://www.spreaker.com/user/superleaguepod
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

phil winnard wrote:Hi yes I also have the same concern. The team (and I also felt this last season) does lack pace and flair. Apart from Sam and Josh there are no backs that excite me or frighten the opposition. I think Amos needs a run on the wing when fit with Josh at centre as Amos did scare defences when he was fully fit. The rest of the backs are good / steady players but superleague is full of them.
I am not saying this on the back of just the Huddersfield game as I thought it last year. I still think we will improve and finish top 4 but I was very disappointed with the summer transfers. We are a poorer team than last year.
The only trouble was his defence scared me as well. The commentary on Radio Leeds last Sunday (too much snow here to set off into the unknown) described Richards as 'the slowest winger in Superleague but worth 16-20 points with his goal kicking.' They got that half right then as we lost the game on goal kicks if memory serves me right.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
exile in Tiger country

Post by exile in Tiger country »

Richards may not have the greatest acceleration, but I think he is deceptively fast, he just takes a while to get into top gear.
I've never seen a woman with hairy ears, and I've been to St Helens." John Bishop

"BANG,CRASH,WALLOP, TRY". E. Hemmings describing Palea'asina's try against KR, Play off 26/09/09
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

markill wrote:I would keep him in FB for another 2-3 years before moving him up to 6 when the appropriate player comes through. We can't rely on the idea of putting Amos there and Pat isn't a full-back in todays game
So how do we solve the hooker and half back problem because we can't keep doing this switching of TL to hooker and Lockers to 6? It's completely nuts.

Also don't forget Sam's contract may be five years but in 3 he can speak to RU clubs and may well be off then. If we never see him at 6 for Wigan that will have been a huge waste of talent in my opinion.

He needs to play there now because of this half back hooker problem and we will have to see if Amos works there. It has before.

I do not understand why anyone thinks its too soon to move him to 6. It's where he started and he is hardy a rookie.
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

exile in Tiger country wrote:Richards may not have the greatest acceleration, but I think he is deceptively fast, he just takes a while to get into top gear.

Agree with this. But maybe he's lost a little of his pace since his injury. Will still score loads of tries and kick plenty of points. Condemning him to the scrap heap is premature in my opinion.
Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending they're injured. Rugby League players spend 80 minutes pretending they're not.
cumbria_warrior

Post by cumbria_warrior »

Richards is still one of the first under attacking high balls so cant be that slow.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

markill wrote:
shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
DaveO wrote: Or why don't we just do the sensible thing and play Roberts at 1 and Sam at 6 from the off and not waste a bench spot?

Darren Lockyer is another example. But I think it's too soon to move Sam out of full back though - this is currently his most dangerous and best position and his defence there (Larne Patrick aside) is better than anyone else we have at the club currently. I would keep him in FB for another 2-3 years before moving him up to 6 when the appropriate player comes through. We can't rely on the idea of putting Amos there and Pat isn't a full-back in todays game
Sam probably won't be at the club in another 2/3 years. We need more creativity in the halves and in my view, Sam has got more in his little finger than Finch and Tommy.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards