Referees

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
GeoffN

Re: Referees

Post by GeoffN »

MrsLam posted:
Full time or part time they're only human and they're still going to get things wrong in the fans eyes. I don't think it will solve anything.
I don't see the advantage in a full-time Ganson. I'd much rather see more technological help for the refs...video refs at every game, not just televised ones, and more versatility in what the screen can be used for. Why, for example, is it up to the ref to say what he wants checking by the video ref...why not check everything? Why not have the 4th official telling him over his earpiece when he's made a mistake...could usually be corrected without any time wasted...for, say, ball stealing/knock-on decisions, where either a penalty or a scrum is being set up.
Of course, in a Wigan game, those decisions are easy - if we lose the ball, it's a knock-on; if they lose it, it was stolen. :wink:
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

:lol:

I agree Geoff, a technological aid would be far more beneficial. Seriously, what would full time referees have over part time refs? Probably better fitness and that's all, we don't necessarily need to bring in full time refs, just a few more part timers would do
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

It might help in encouraging more people to take up refereeing, I suppose - with more to choose from we might see an improvement.
I'd like to see some ex-players take it up after retirement...what's Jimmy Lowes doing these days? Or Bobby Goulding?
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Brother in law has qualified to be a ref this season but is too old for super league

There are plenty of takers but apparently not up to standards required

Not sure if it says that much about them given what we see at games week in week out

Surely there must be better than ganson and kirkpatrick.

I must admit that I think Ian Smith has impressed me in the games I have been to and seen on the box
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

WE LOVE IAN SMITH!

Geoff, Bobby Goulding has lots loadsa weight and last time I heard he was coaching Rochdale not sure about that now though.

Actually just checked and he still is there. Once a legend at Saints, now called Blobby Goulding, sad scousers
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

I don't see the advantage in a full-time Ganson.

I dont see the advantage of any time Ganson

Best thing that could have happened to Ganson was the Royal Marine Commandos demo team to have rattled him with the base ball bat (and not pretending to hit)
GeoffN

Post by GeoffN »

the pieman posted:
I don't see the advantage in a full-time Ganson.

I dont see the advantage of any time Ganson

Best thing that could have happened to Ganson was the Royal Marine Commandos demo team to have rattled him with the base ball bat (and not pretending to hit)
You must have been sat near us! We were all calling for that...or for him to join the abseilers (rope not included) :D