Referee

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: Referee

Post by cpwigan »

What Mark is saying is SPOT ON. The match officials made very few mistakes and had no impact upon its outcome. You cannot ask for more than that IMO.
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Did both teams smother each other or did the conditions negate such wide / open play. Would the game have been improved or made worse by over officious officiating and lots of penalties. Where do you stop? 90% of play of the balls are illegal?

It is arguable that the speed of the POTB is far more important than the 10 yards and that is the biggest bug bear Wane has. Moreover, Shaun Edwards hated the 10 yard rule and felt 5 yards made for better RL.

The game was incredibly exciting because it was close. The outcome was fair. The attack was poor because the coaches attack game plans were poor and the players were poor with ball in hand.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Thought Bentham had one of his better games. The offsides weren't enforced, which is common, however I thought Hull got away with far to much messing about at the POTB - Holdsworth being one of the worst culprits. Had he clamped down on that, then the game might have been a bit more entertaining
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

I didn't notice the officials so that tells me they were good!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

He didn't miss much other than the offsides. One he did miss was a high shot (on Sam I think) in the second half right in front of the sticks. I think had he spotted it we'd have kicked another penalty to make it 12 nil at that point.

Benthham was running right to left at the time and I could clearly see why he missed it as he was looking where he was going not at the game!