Calderwood signs Wigan Deal!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
thegimble

Re: Calderwood signs Wigan...

Post by thegimble »

MrsLam posted:
Hm, what's the general opinion on him? I haven't even noticed him this season. At least though, our departees are being appropriately replaced and we're not being left with no wingers or no centres next year. We might actually have a full team of men playing in their desired position :O
He was dodgy under the highball 2-3 years ago but is as good as any British winger today. To put it bluntly he will better for us than BC has been this season.

How often have we complained about not getting quality in. Now we have 3 quality siginings in.

Pally looks awsome
Richards looks good
Calderwood will score tries

Logan and Fletcher i havent seen much of cant remember him playing for Hull.

This season really feels like 97 in that we know we were not good enough but are spending wisely and effectively.

Seems Faz and BC deserting was not the end at all. Just hoping they will be saying wish i was there Oct 2006
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

thegimble posted:
MrsLam posted:
Hm, what's the general opinion on him? I haven't even noticed him this season. At least though, our departees are being appropriately replaced and we're not being left with no wingers or no centres next year. We might actually have a full team of men playing in their desired position :O
He was dodgy under the highball 2-3 years ago but is as good as any British winger today. To put it bluntly he will better for us than BC has been this season.

How often have we complained about not getting quality in. Now we have 3 quality siginings in.

Pally looks awsome
Richards looks good
Calderwood will score tries

Logan and Fletcher i havent seen much of cant remember him playing for Hull.

This season really feels like 97 in that we know we were not good enough but are spending wisely and effectively.

Seems Faz and BC deserting was not the end at all. Just hoping they will be saying wish i was there Oct 2006
Clubs always get an exceptional player in their ranks like Farrel was, at some point they leave or retire, that is never the end of that club is it, it may be the end of an era for club, player and fans like, but its the start of a new era at the club, we are seeing that now, and even though many are not happy with the signings I am, its only our first year of recruitment under Millward and already we will be 5 times better next year.
We have a much more solid pack and experienced pack, our halves will benefit greatly from that, Rads extended his contract, Hock and Lockers will be back next year, and we have signed the current top try scorer in the league, and signed Richards who is 23 like Calderwood, both are showing a great attitude at their current clubs, they both know they are in their last season but both are still giving 100% and scoring tries regular.

I for one am really looking forward to next season, lets hope the fans stick around to see a much better team, in action.
Welski

Post by Welski »

[quote]ChrisA posted:
Richards who is 23 like Calderwood, both are showing a great attitude at their current clubs, they both know they are in their last season but both are still giving 100% and scoring tries regular.
quote]

Lets hope they dont give 'too much' It would be a nice change to welcome exciting new signings that are injury free!

Cant wait for next year.
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

We have calderwood and botham, mcdonald is at huddersfield, barrie mac is retiring, mckenna is going home and now they could lose bai. Thats 5 players who have been quite important in getting them where they are now, i dont think mcdonald really counts. Will be interesting to see how they recruit to replace them.
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Doug Stand posted:
Who wouldn't score tries in the current Leeds team?
Franscis Cummins. There is a thread on rlfans where a Leeds fan (I think) points out that in 2004 Cummins played on the wing outside the same centre and didn't score anywhere near as many tries.
An average winger would look good there because of the speed the play at and the ability to move the ball around and create space. I wonder how many tries Calderwood has scored that needed to be scored as opposed to those were he jus catches and falls down.
Ask Cummins! He managed to be poor on the wing in a good side.

Dave
damien morrissey

Post by damien morrissey »

Am not sure if he is the right signing for us.He is a leading try scorer so far tis season and that cant be taken away from him his defense has improved radically but he is a player who makes me nervous like hodgson used to.The threads that post that he needs space to score trys arnt helping alleviate my concerns because that is my worry.If we had a backline that could do this then Dallas would be up there and he isnt.
mrs_carney

Post by mrs_carney »

Hmm i dont know what to make of calderwood, i think its good obviously for his attacking and how he reads the play in attack. But i've always thought of him as being quite dodgy in defense, he may have improved this season. But he just seems one of those likely to drop a high ball or be bulldozed over by someone in the corner. I also think hes very arrogant and have never really liked him, i've alays rated him and leon pryce in the same way, both arrogant and i just dont like them. Let's hope he changes my mind.
11/07/05 x - Always and forever - x <3
pedro

Post by pedro »

He has pace to burn which we are lacking badly. His defence is a good as Carneys and he is taller so wont get outjumped all the time like Carney.

On the whole he is a totally commited player but we still need a centre for him as someone stated before about Offiah. He did nothing till Gene Miles signed and set him away!
king carney

Re: Calderwood signs Wigan Dea...

Post by king carney »

im no a calderwood fan even thought i hope he changes my mind. but just remeber he has his moments!id like to think that he will perform in a warrior shirt and the pressure will not be too much as it seems to be for moran but thats a diffrent thread. i feel calderwood is like offia quick elusive but cant catch and struggles to tackles he needs a class centre inside of him.
damien morrissey

Post by damien morrissey »

Never saw him being arrogant but agree about defensive concerns. He is good in broken play but we need a decent centre in the class of Senior who we should of bought when he destroyed us in the CC final. And some creative halfbacks to be less predictable.