Sam Powell, George Williams or Ryan Hampshire

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
southportcdm

Re: Sam Powell, George Williams or Ryan Hampshire

Post by southportcdm »

Can anyone give an example of a team that has won the challenge cup or grand final with a 19-21 year old half back? I'm not saying that it can't be done but it is unusual. Odd results when very young/understrength teams beat a 'top' side in a one off league match often result from the fact that the favoured side assume it's going to be an easy game. You can tell from the timing of this message that I'm already getting bored with the football!
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

southportcdm wrote:Can anyone give an example of a team that has won the challenge cup or grand final with a 19-21 year old half back? I'm not saying that it can't be done but it is unusual. Odd results when very young/understrength teams beat a 'top' side in a one off league match often result from the fact that the favoured side assume it's going to be an easy game. You can tell from the timing of this message that I'm already getting bored with the football!
Exactly the point I have been making.
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

How old was Gizmo when he won his first medal.
Does a promising half back have to sit in the wings until he is in his late twenties, thirties, or is it better to bring him in when he is 19 or 20. I would say its better bringing them in when they're ready to play there.
Do you think Ryan Hampshire is ready to play in the first team at his age or is he too young.
I think he is ready and will just get better and better.
If we have to wait a few games for him to settle in properly, does it really matter as long as he gets there.
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

southportcdm wrote:Can anyone give an example of a team that has won the challenge cup or grand final with a 19-21 year old half back? I'm not saying that it can't be done but it is unusual.

Dave Bolton was 21 when he played in the 1958 cup final v Workington. He had been a regular first teamer for three seasons by then.
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

Stand Off is such a difficult position for any young player and personally I dont see any of these being ready for next season. I think I would probably rather see Hampshire at full back next season with a view to perhaps moving him up to Stand Off the season after.

I am still unsure about Powell and Williams. I think Powell is a good, steady player but whether he is good enough to be the starting stand off at Wigan on a regular basis is a different story. I cant see Williams being ready for next season either.

That leaves a new signing but there arent really any names that spring to mind in this country and the decent talent from the NRL, especially at half back, has dried up.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Sadly I think that Hampshire suffered a serious injury last night. Looked like a dislocated shoulder (possibly elbow) to me as he walked off. If that's the case he's out of the picture for some time and we'll need Powell at 6 (he played well) and Sarginson to cover for Bowen. Could be a big opportunity for Dan to play more games at what I think will be his best position. Any more injuries to the half-backs or centres and we're in real trouble. There may even be a case for getting Logan Tomkins back if he have more injuries. Real shame for Rocky, just when it looked like he would get a chance for an extended run.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Sorry Cherry, have to disagree, George williams is a 7 :)
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

After last night's game v Cas Sam Powell has to keep his place. Not withstanding the injuries to Hampshire and Williams SP played very well and deserves to keep his place.
michael inch stoke

Post by michael inch stoke »

DaveO wrote:
josie andrews wrote:
Wigan_forever19​85​ wrote: I was thinking about this the other day, the last time I remember a wigan team as "young" as the one that's played recently was 2005 when we got that horrific bout of first team injuries.

Im trying to work out, are our youngster better than that generation or has the league standard fallen that much? because if you remember rightly we were slaughted for fielding a youth team in that era, yet now we have actually managed to beat the strongest team in the league with most our first team out!
We beat St Helens on Good Friday with that young team in 2005 & that's when Saints were at their strongest
But despite that we won nothing that year. Saints finished League Leaders but Leeds won the CC and Bradford won the GF.

Our victory over Leeds at the MM weekend was epic and very exiting to see the young players do so well but ultimately I'd have preferred us to have beaten Cas with the likes of Taylor and Goulding playing rather than have the kids win a game that will count for nothing at the end of the season as that win in 2005 did.
The Bulls won the challange cup in 2003. I didnt think Leeds had won the cup since 1999 which was the last one at the old wembley stadium