Why was the video referee not used?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
TrueBlueWarrior

Re: Why was the video referee not used?

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

captinjack wrote:Speaking with a Saints fan this morning and he was of the opinion that if Ben had only hit Hohiai once and left it at that both plays would have been sent off. But once Ben had gone in for seconds whilst Hohiai was out he has given him a get out of jail card.
But that does not follow the rule book that all officials SHOULD follow!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
TrueBlueWarrior

East Stand Faithful wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
East Stand Faithful wrote: http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... 6/9515301?

Well Tony Rea doesn't agree with you either!

BTW I have also reffed RL in the past (junior level).
Oh right because Tony Rea doesn't agree it's the end of the discussion. It's all about opinions, however by the LETTER OF THE LAW what Hohaia did WAS a RED card, irrelevant of how Flower reacted.
No happy to have a discussion on the issue and thought their was merit in a professional who is neutral on the matter having an opinion.

Not sure why people on here take things personally when others have a different view to theirs. Isn't that the point of the forum?
I did say in my reply it is all about opinions!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

Very true True Blue!

FWIW I agree that by the letter of the law LH could have had a red.

However, if that second punch had not been landed, I think most refs would have given both players a sin binning as it was 2 mins into the biggest game of the year.

Nil satis Nisi optimum!
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
TrueBlueWarrior

East Stand Faithful wrote:Very true True Blue!

However, if that second punch had not been landed, I think most refs would have given both players a sin binning as it was 2 mins into the biggest game of the year.

Nil satis Nisi optimum!
Exactly, I have not once condoned what Flower did and he rightly got a RED but so should Hohaia, however like you say the 2nd punch doesn't exist they both could have got YELLOW as a sensible option. However again, I might be being cynical here but I truly believe that Flower was getting a RED for the first punch anyway and Hohaia was getting away with it, but that is just because I think we are always on the wrong end of the stick in tight decisions in my opinion.

Nothing but the best is good enough and unfortunately our current crop of SL officials are way off the required standard.
captinjack

Post by captinjack »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
captinjack wrote:Speaking with a Saints fan this morning and he was of the opinion that if Ben had only hit Hohiai once and left it at that both plays would have been sent off. But once Ben had gone in for seconds whilst Hohiai was out he has given him a get out of jail card.
We know they should follow the rules, but unfortunately I think they all have different copies of the rules!
TrueBlueWarrior

captinjack wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
We know they should follow the rules, but unfortunately I think they all have different copies of the rules!
...and there lies the problem, farcical!!
GBH

Post by GBH »

East Stand Faithful wrote:Very true True Blue!

Nil satis Nisi optimum!
Trouble is the week before in the Warrington match the same ref made a totally different decision
Snickers Workwear - Workwear - Safety Boots
Wiz

Post by Wiz »

Sorry for repeating my point from from another post but

LH : Grade e / f strike with elbows or forearms off the ball

Flower : Grade e / f strike with fist off the ball

I do think Flower's 2nd is the worst part but you can't ignore that LH started it.

Don't like the "on the street" comparisons but if I cracked someone in the street then got filled in for my behaviour I wouldn't expect the police to ignore what I did just because I lost the fight!

Obviously flower will get a longer ban and I get that but LH's behaviour still meets the 4-8 match ban criteria from the RFL guidelines.

Also LH has the aggravating factor that it was retaliation and not dealt with by the referee while any claim it was provoked (push from a player you are blocking chasing the ball) is weak.

Flowers will be a high tariff re the number of matches but LH should have no "discount" as it wasn't dealt with on the day.

Can't see it though sadly.......