Hampshire

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
East Stand Faithful

Re: Hampshire

Post by East Stand Faithful »

Rogues says:

"As far as I am aware he's happy enough at Wigan and contract talks are still ongoing. The hissy fit thing is probably way off the mark. We all know how Wane works and anyone with that attitude would be nowhere near the 18 or 19 man first team squad.

What I do think is that he's a talented young player who loves playing, and money isn't the issue, he just wants to play. It's difficult for him at the moment as he appears to be behind Bowen for the fullback spot and Williams for the #6 shirt.

I differ from most on here because I think he IS talented enough to play #1 or #6 at a high level and expect him to be the first choice #1 next season. My long term hope is to see him and Williams at #6 and #7. Matty Smith has had a poor start to the season but I think two twenty year old halfbacks is is too much of a risk at this moment in time.

If Wane wants him to play at #1 then Hampshire is going to need some game time soon. I believe he was due to play at Workington last Sunday along with Mossop and Manfredi. If Wane sees him as first back up at fullback you would hope that Hampshire was going there to play at #1 to further develop his game there.

I watched an old Origin video the other week and Bowen played somewhere but took a lot of ball at dummy half and cause NSW all sorts of problems. I wonder if Hampshire at #1 and Bowen as sub #9 could work particularly as the pitches firm up, or you could start with Bowen at #1 and move him to #9 bringing Hampshire off the bench to #1."

Sounds very plausible and lets hope its right because we all want him to stay.
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

East Stand Faithful wrote:Rogues says:

"As far as I am aware he's happy enough at Wigan and contract talks are still ongoing. The hissy fit thing is probably way off the mark. We all know how Wane works and anyone with that attitude would be nowhere near the 18 or 19 man first team squad.

What I do think is that he's a talented young player who loves playing, and money isn't the issue, he just wants to play. It's difficult for him at the moment as he appears to be behind Bowen for the fullback spot and Williams for the #6 shirt.

I differ from most on here because I think he IS talented enough to play #1 or #6 at a high level and expect him to be the first choice #1 next season. My long term hope is to see him and Williams at #6 and #7. Matty Smith has had a poor start to the season but I think two twenty year old halfbacks is is too much of a risk at this moment in time.

If Wane wants him to play at #1 then Hampshire is going to need some game time soon. I believe he was due to play at Workington last Sunday along with Mossop and Manfredi. If Wane sees him as first back up at fullback you would hope that Hampshire was going there to play at #1 to further develop his game there.

I watched an old Origin video the other week and Bowen played somewhere but took a lot of ball at dummy half and cause NSW all sorts of problems. I wonder if Hampshire at #1 and Bowen as sub #9 could work particularly as the pitches firm up, or you could start with Bowen at #1 and move him to #9 bringing Hampshire off the bench to #1."

Sounds very plausible and lets hope its right because we all want him to stay.

Good post ESF. I tend to agree with your views.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

If indeed Hampshire has a niggle, it could only be in my opinion, about being considered as the the full back position replacement for Bowen when he leaves rather than being considered for his preferred position of Stand Off.

Hardly surprising if true, when we are now playing any two of three Scrum Half's at half back instead of a natural Stand Off like Hampshire and a Scrum Half.

If it was me, I would be asking the same!
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Whelley Warrior wrote:If indeed Hampshire has a niggle, it could only be in my opinion, about being considered as the the full back position replacement for Bowen when he leaves rather than being considered for his preferred position of Stand Off.

Hardly surprising if true, when we are now playing any two of three Scrum Half's at half back instead of a natural Stand Off like Hampshire and a Scrum Half.

Hey WW are you criticising Waney?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

shaunedwardsfan​club​ wrote:
Whelley Warrior wrote:If indeed Hampshire has a niggle, it could only be in my opinion, about being considered as the the full back position replacement for Bowen when he leaves rather than being considered for his preferred position of Stand Off.

Hey WW are you criticising Waney?
After today, I am beginning to melt!
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

The guillotine awaits, and you can let it drop when you are ready Phoenix Nights style. :D
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Wandering Warrior wrote:The guillotine awaits, and you can let it drop when you are ready Phoenix Nights style. :D
Stick to the day job, as you will never make it as a comedian like Peter Kay!
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Oh dear!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

Wandering Warrior wrote:Oh dear!
But still a fact!
Wandering Warrior