Bob Beswick

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
keptinthedarkfans

Re: Bob Beswick

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Never for a minute would I sooner have Bob than MM. I was replying to the claim that he was a poor player. Also another poster claiming if you don't spend your full playing career playing in SL you can't be a top player.Now that is nonsense.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Yea I'll agree with that but I'm sure if he had the chance or. Offers he would be in super league.maybe he likes being a big fish in a small pond.who knows only him.
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:Never for a minute would I sooner have Bob than MM. I was replying to the claim that he was a poor player. Also another poster claiming if you don't spend your full playing career playing in SL you can't be a top player.Now that is nonsense.
Ok Beswick is a TOP player what does that make MM, Roby, Henderson, Clark etc?

I interpret TOP as one of the best and the best don't spend the majority of their careers in the championship, they spend it in the top league challenging themselves week in week out against better opposition. To be one of the best you accept this chalkenge IF you are good enough and mentality strong enough. Beswick is a very very good championship player but would be average in SL that for me does not make him a TOP player!! I think his career to date would be evidence of that!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
keptinthedarkfans

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:Never for a minute would I sooner have Bob than MM. I was replying to the claim that he was a poor player. Also another poster claiming if you don't spend your full playing career playing in SL you can't be a top player.Now that is nonsense.

I interpret TOP as one of the best and the best don't spend the majority of their careers in the championship, they spend it in the top league challenging themselves week in week out against better opposition. To be one of the best you accept this chalkenge IF you are good enough and mentality strong enough. Beswick is a very very good championship player but would be average in SL that for me does not make him a TOP player!! I think his career to date would be evidence of that!![/quote]

WHY because he CHOSE to play at Leigh. He is good enough for sl been offered many contracts for sl teams. Don't make assumptions on players capabilities because of where they ply there trade. He chose Leigh for his own personal reasons and loves it there. You don't get to play for the best team in SL(wigan and offered another contract with being a poor player.
jobo

Post by jobo »

keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:

I interpret TOP as one of the best and the best don't spend the majority of their careers in the championship, they spend it in the top league challenging themselves week in week out against better opposition. To be one of the best you accept this chalkenge IF you are good enough and mentality strong enough. Beswick is a very very good championship player but would be average in SL that for me does not make him a TOP player!! I think his career to date would be evidence of that!![/quote]

WHY because he CHOSE to play at Leigh. He is good enough for sl been offered many contracts for sl teams. Don't make assumptions on players capabilities because of where they ply there trade. He chose Leigh for his own personal reasons and loves it there. You don't get to play for the best team in SL(wigan and offered another contract with being a poor player.
I rate Bob, he's a cracking player. I believe he opted for part time RL rather than be a full time pro due to his option of a career outside of rugby. Think it's served him well and it's always a pleasure to see him play.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Fair enough but are you aware that Leigh are a full time team?
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
TrueBlueWarrior

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:

He didn't choose to play for Leigh he chose to play for Widnes rather than Wigan for whatever reason!! I never said he wasn't good enough for SL, I just said he is not a TOP player!!! I will make an OPINION not ASSUMPTION on how good a player is depending on where they play because ultimately players find their level!! I never once said he was a poor player in fact I said he was a very very good championship player and for the record plenty of poor players have played for Wigan and been offered new contracts so that is a poor base to start a discussion and at the time we were no where near the best team in SL!! It's not good to let personal emotion into an argument usually!!

Bob Beswick is NOT a TOP player he is a very very good championship player, average SL at best!!

Wonder why Sam Tomkins didn't choose Leigh? Oh because he is a Top player!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
keptinthedarkfans

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:

He didn't choose to play for Leigh he chose to play for Widnes rather than Wigan for whatever reason!! I never said he wasn't good enough for SL, I just said he is not a TOP player!!! I will make an OPINION not ASSUMPTION on how good a player is depending on where they play because ultimately players find their level!! I never once said he was a poor player in fact I said he was a very very good championship player and for the record plenty of poor players have played for Wigan and been offered new contracts so that is a poor base to start a discussion and at the time we were no where near the best team in SL!! It's not good to let personal emotion into an argument usually!!

Bob Beswick is NOT a TOP player he is a very very good championship player, average SL at best!!

Sam Tomkins picked Wigan because he loves playing for them O AND THE MONEY LEIGH COULD NOT GIVE HIM.
TrueBlueWarrior

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
keptinthedarkfa​ns​ wrote: He didn't choose to play for Leigh he chose to play for Widnes rather than Wigan for whatever reason!! I never said he wasn't good enough for SL, I just said he is not a TOP player!!! I will make an OPINION not ASSUMPTION on how good a player is depending on where they play because ultimately players find their level!! I never once said he was a poor player in fact I said he was a very very good championship player and for the record plenty of poor players have played for Wigan and been offered new contracts so that is a poor base to start a discussion and at the time we were no where near the best team in SL!! It's not good to let personal emotion into an argument usually!!

Sam Tomkins picked Wigan because he loves playing for them O AND THE MONEY LEIGH COULD NOT GIVE HIM.
So did Leigh make him an offer? Or did they realise they had no chance of signing him because he is a truly TOP SL player and way out of their league! KITDF I have the upmost respect for you as a poster but sorry you are making yourself look a bit silly here! BOB BESWICK is not a TOP player he is a decent RL player of which there are many!!
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Bob is a solid pro but he was never likely to progress at Wigan or another huge club in his chosen position of LF. Playing hooker came later IIRC. Would Bob have even been playing if Penky was not injured (IIRC) I thought Bob was happily married to Lauren Waterworth and even now developing a post RL career in fitness?