Sarge

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wintergreen

Re: Sarge

Post by Wintergreen »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Wintergreen wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote: How many 'complete' centres are there at 22?
That's a different question ;)
It's not a 'different' question it's just 'a' question to your statement, so do you have an answer?
I'm not sure I follow your logic. However, I will answer the question.

Dean Bell was when he NZ toured the UK in around 1986 ish. Not sure he was 22 but there you go.

TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Wintergreen wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Wintergreen wrote: That's a different question ;)
It's not a 'different' question it's just 'a' question to your statement, so do you have an answer?

Dean Bell was when he NZ toured the UK in around 1986 ish. Not sure he was 22 but there you go.

How do you not follow my logic? You made a statement that Sarge is not a 'complete' centre. I asked how many are 'complete' centres at the age of 22? You respond with 1 example of a world class player that was 24 at the time, so I rest my case! Sarge is a baby in terms of a centre and has a lot to learn, expecting him to be a 'complete' centre at 22 is unrealistic!! But that is just my opinion!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Wintergreen wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:

How do you not follow my logic? You made a statement that Sarge is not a 'complete' centre. I asked how many are 'complete' centres at the age of 22? You respond with 1 example of a world class player that was 24 at the time, so I rest my case! Sarge is a baby in terms of a centre and has a lot to learn, expecting him to be a 'complete' centre at 22 is unrealistic!! But that is just my opinion!

Well without getting into an argument over semantics I'm not sure anyone could argue that ANY rugby player is "complete" at 22.

Hence your statement is about as incisive as me saying "Well winning £5m on the lottery would be quite nice wouldn't it?"

Of course he is young and has time to learn BUT, and imo it is a big but, he has to massively up his defensive game AND become better at providing for his wingman. If he hasn't done this at age 25 I'm not sure we will be calling him a great centre.

Having said all that, his footwork is sublime and he's an exciting player to watch. My comments were never meant as criticism, more observation.

TrueBlueWarrior

Wintergreen wrote:
TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Wintergreen wrote: I'm not sure I follow your logic. However, I will answer the question.

Well without getting into an argument over semantics I'm not sure anyone could argue that ANY rugby player is "complete" at 22.

Hence your statement is about as incisive as me saying "Well winning £5m on the lottery would be quite nice wouldn't it?"

Of course he is young and has time to learn BUT, and imo it is a big but, he has to massively up his defensive game AND become better at providing for his wingman. If he hasn't done this at age 25 I'm not sure we will be calling him a great centre.

Having said all that, his footwork is sublime and he's an exciting player to watch. My comments were never meant as criticism, more observation.
Hahaha you said it not me and you have just disagreed with yourself to prove my point so thanks for that!!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

A lot of critisism on here re Sarge and maybe some justified. He's had his dodgy game alright.
Saturday he was the best centre on the field and he could be in for a good remainder of the season as that should have given him a lot of confidence.

For those who call Sarge a turnstyle. Have you ever watched Kallum Watkins? Very dangerous with ball in hand but a defensive nightmare.
Everytime we play Leeds we score a try by kicking in behind him. His ability to turn is really lacking. At 23 I'd have thought Leeds would have trained it out of him. Once again he was caught out, Smith grubber behind him, Watkins nowhere, Burrow mis-hits putting dead and Matty Bowen scores. Never mind him being left for dead by the Bowen/Burgess move that was top class.

Sarge is a very good centre IMO, I do hope he stays and the rumours re Bath are incorrect.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wiganer Ted wrote:
For those who call Sarge a turnstyle. Have you ever watched Kallum Watkins? Very dangerous with ball in hand but a defensive nightmare.
Who cares about Watkins defence? He doesn't play for us, Sarge does and if he has more bad games defensively particularly in a game as important as the CC v HKR no one will remember the magic game.

He has got to sort this out consistently.

Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Hahaha you said it not me and you have just disagreed with yourself to prove my point so thanks for that!!
I really do not understand the point that you are trying to make here, but in the interests of the thread, time to move on.
TrueBlueWarrior

Wintergreen wrote:
I really do not understand the point that you are trying to make here, but in the interests of the thread, time to move on.
I wasn't trying to make any point you was by saying Sarge isn't a COMPLETE centre so I asked who is at 22, meaning it is very unfair to expect him to be at 22!! You then responded by saying not many players are COMPLETE at 22 so like I said you agreed with me and disagreed with yourself. Read the thread properly it makes perfect sense really unless you are trying to dig yourself out of a hole. :wink:
TrueBlueWarrior

DaveO wrote:
Wiganer Ted wrote:
Who cares about Watkins defence? He doesn't play for us, Sarge does and if he has more bad games defensively particularly in a game as important as the CC v HKR no one will remember the magic game.

He has got to sort this out consistently.

The exact same applies to discussing Hardaker on another thread.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

TrueBlueWarrior wrote:
Wintergreen wrote:
I wasn't trying to make any point you was by saying Sarge isn't a COMPLETE centre so I asked who is at 22, meaning it is very unfair to expect him to be at 22!! You then responded by saying not many players are COMPLETE at 22 so like I said you agreed with me and disagreed with yourself. Read the thread properly it makes perfect sense really unless you are trying to dig yourself out of a hole. :wink:
Well that explains why I was confused.

Sarge isn't a complete centre. Fact.

Most players are not at that age. Fact.

Where is the contradiction?

I was pointing out that Sarge needs to improve on a couple of aspects of his game - defence and putting his winger in.

One thing though, Sarge shows less "progress" on these two issues than other "incomplete" 22 year olds in their position. IMO of course.