Rocky

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
butt monkey

Re: Rocky

Post by butt monkey »

bobby1979 wrote:Give him ago at 6 put Williams on the bench then Williams can come on and replace micky job done
I said that last night. Give Williams a break from the firing line and he can cover for Smith/McIlorum from the bench. At least he would be a far better bench player than Powell
[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/ ... monkey.gif[/img]

The biggest Room is the Room for improvement.

The best form of defence is attack!!

Out of the black and into the red, remember you don't get anything for two in a bed!!
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Well said butt monkey
bobby1979

Post by bobby1979 »

agree butt monkey George a lot quicker than sam powell and hell of a lot quicker out of dummy half he cant keep playing micky for 80 mins he will burn out and in my eyes George is the best option to replace him not waneys golden boy sam powell
Panchitta Marra

Post by Panchitta Marra »

The way Hampshire played last night with the attitude he displayed, would it not suggest that he is capable of playing in Superleague.
As BM says, nothing wrong in giving him a shot with Smith in the halves and allowing George the freedom from the bench. I think George coming on when teams we're tiring a bit would be an excellent move, just like Wire are benefitting from Brad Dwyer.
I still think Wigans best long term option in the halves is Rocky at 6 with George at 7 though.
bobby1979

Post by bobby1979 »

Here here panchitta totally agree
AdamMac

Post by AdamMac »

Play rocky and williams at 6&7. Have smith as the sub 9. Smith isnt doing enough
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

AdamMac wrote:Play rocky and williams at 6&7. Have smith as the sub 9. Smith isnt doing enough
Still amazes me that ppl want Smith dropped. Its not ok for Smith to struggle but it seems Williams gets away with it and over all this season Smith is the better of the 2.

Williams and Rocky have not impressed enough to be considered even if they are playing out of position. Williams is not an organiser or i have not seen him do that at SL level enough.

Rocky needs a run at 6 and Williams needs to be dropped or rested to allow this against Hull to see ho wit goes.

Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Will never know why Williams and Smith were picked as half backs to do the full season instead of rotating the four h/b we've got.
Smith isn't great but Williams now looks tired and jaded.
Why would anyone expect a 20 year old to do a full season of SL then the play offs without suffereing a loss of form and/or tiredness.

Hampshire looks faster than the lot of them and he added a lot to our scoring efforts last night. For most fans he is a must selection. Great pace and game awareness. A terrific talent that surely must be played. Interesting that SW won't play him at half back yet in his last interview on Wigan TV IL says he hopes to see Ryan and George playing half back for Wigan for years to come.

Fans are fast losing patience with the selection of the squad and favouritism over form. There's annoyance that we haven't an attacking idea in the squad. The games v Salford and Widnes were poor in the extreme and anyone who thinks we were the better team last night is plain wrong IMO. Two very average teams with Wigan just having the edge on pace and some fortunate decisions or lack of them.

Not going to Hull and I'm already feeling sorry for those that are. If we serve up anything like we did v Wire in our last away game then it won't be good viewing. The fans who spend a lot of money regularly travelling deserve better. I hope it improves next Thursday with a win.
I'd feel a lot more confident of a win with Ryan Hampshire in the squad and preferably starting.

cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

thegimble wrote:
AdamMac wrote:Play rocky and williams at 6&7. Have smith as the sub 9. Smith isnt doing enough
Still amazes me that ppl want Smith dropped. Its not ok for Smith to struggle but it seems Williams gets away with it and over all this season Smith is the better of the 2.

Williams and Rocky have not impressed enough to be considered even if they are playing out of position. Williams is not an organiser or i have not seen him do that at SL level enough.

Rocky needs a run at 6 and Williams needs to be dropped or rested to allow this against Hull to see ho wit goes.
From inside the club Smith was supposedly under pressure for his place 4+ weeks ago. The club and I daresay Smith himself are that happy with his efforts this year. However, experience owing to the dreadful inconsistency of the team won through (odd as it may seem).

You could argue George needs a break but when has Rocky been given that halfback opportunity? NOBODY incl Sam T as a youngster has been so blatantly ignored for his preferred position than Rocky.

However, a question to ponder, maybe George would play better in partnership with Rocky. Certainly Matty Smith has been poor more often than not this season.
Owd Codger

Post by Owd Codger »

cpwigan wrote:
thegimble wrote:

From inside the club Smith was supposedly under pressure for his place 4+ weeks ago. The club and I daresay Smith himself are that happy with his efforts this year. However, experience owing to the dreadful inconsistency of the team won through (odd as it may seem).

You could argue George needs a break but when has Rocky been given that halfback opportunity? NOBODY incl Sam T as a youngster has been so blatantly ignored for his preferred position than Rocky.

However, a question to ponder, maybe George would play better in partnership with Rocky. Certainly Matty Smith has been poor more often than not this season.
So has Williams as well and in spite of being a good young player, he is not experienced enough to be handling the important playmaker/organiser Stand Off role which in my opinion is the root of the problem of why we are not effected as we should be in creating more options in attack.

The same happen last season when Green was out injured and we did not play well then, but that was for a limited period only and not for the full season like it has been this season.

Why do you think that Leeds, sometime ago switched Sinfield to Stand Off and moved McGuire to Scrum Half with Burrow on the bench?

We need to sign a top class playmaker/organiser Stand Off and one who perhaps, is also a top class goal kicker as a bonus.

Ratchford would have been alright, but one from down would be even better!