Re: Lenegan not happy with Thornley

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
gruffy

Post by gruffy »

cpwigan wrote:One door closes, another door opens for say Gildart!
Agreed he looks the part,at some point he has to be given a chance
LooseHead

Post by LooseHead »

If anyone thinks that RL clubs are run by compassionate chairmen who value loyalty over what makes business sense then they've not seen how clubs can treat players sometimes. IL has a go at Thornley about 3 weeks after Cam Phelps has been told he's being released at end of year by Widnes about a week after having surgery to reattach his pectoral muscle. IL may try to say he's not like James Rule at Widnes but speak to any established pro player and they'll tell you a dozen stories of injured players getting shafted by clubs.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Let's be honest, players are treated like a commodity/piece of meat by many clubs. Clubs show patience/consideration only when they think the player is worth it. We'd all like to think that the players were treated with the care/consideration we'd all like to get from our employers but the sporting world is very tough and I'm pleased that I don't have that kind of pressure to put up with. I even do it subconsciously myself when I think "I wish we could get rid of player X and get in someone else". It's nice if top players show loyalty but you can't blame them when they take the best offer available. As for Iain, I'm disappointed that he never reached the heights I thought he was capable of when I first saw him playing I the reserves but that makes him just one of many. Best of luck to him, he scored and saved a try against Hull in the challenge cup final and I thank him for that. I hope we get young Gildhart on the weights before next season because he's got a lot of potential.
LooseHead

Post by LooseHead »

Totally agree Southport.

Look at what's happened at Widnes with Cam Phelps being told he's being released about a week after having his pectoral muscle reattached. Business trumps loyalty in every club in superleague and speak to any player who has been around a few years and he can tell you plenty tales of players getting badly treated by clubs when they start getting injuries. Can't blame a player with Ian Thornleys injury record looking after number 1.
pedro

Post by pedro »

southportcdm wrote:Let's be honest, players are treated like a commodity/piece of meat by many clubs. Clubs show patience/consideration only when they think the player is worth it. We'd all like to think that the players were treated with the care/consideration we'd all like to get from our employers but the sporting world is very tough and I'm pleased that I don't have that kind of pressure to put up with. I even do it subconsciously myself when I think "I wish we could get rid of player X and get in someone else". It's nice if top players show loyalty but you can't blame them when they take the best offer available. As for Iain, I'm disappointed that he never reached the heights I thought he was capable of when I first saw him playing I the reserves but that makes him just one of many. Best of luck to him, he scored and saved a try against Hull in the challenge cup final and I thank him for that. I hope we get young Gildhart on the weights before next season because he's got a lot of potential.
if that was the case we would have released him 2 years ago
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Overall though Loosehead is correct IMO. Sport is a brutal career on and off the field of play.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Lets not forget IT got injured playing for Wigan and under employ by them. In the workplace that most of us operate in, the employer has a duty of care to ensure you work in a safe environment. Is sorting IT out just an extension of this? Therefore neither party need show any loyalty?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Wandering Warrior wrote:Lets not forget IT got injured playing for Wigan and under employ by them. In the workplace that most of us operate in, the employer has a duty of care to ensure you work in a safe environment. Is sorting IT out just an extension of this? Therefore neither party need show any loyalty?
Excellent point
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

cpwigan wrote:Unfortunately you only have one version of events / circumstances. The opposite POV is actually that Thornley was not wanted at Wigan. One thing is for sure, long before the announcement he was being linked with various clubs in SL.

I just hope the players realises his considerable potential which at this point in his career he is some way of realising.

I do know this, I prefer Thornley at left centre and Gelling at right when Sarrge is not available.
You say he was not wanted by Wigan but did IL say we matched the offer or was close to what he got from HKR. So before he signed for HKR we made him a good offer.

He is a good player CP but did you feel that Taylor's career is over in terms of development and is a huge step back for him going to Hull. Thornley owed the club for development and taking him back once he was found out at Union. Going to HKR is a massive step back from us.

But as you say loyalty has no meaning today
Dobby

Post by Dobby »

There are 2 sides to every story and I'm sure that Thornley would have a different version to that given by Lenegan. I don't really see how on the one hand he can make out Wigan offered the same money but then say he is greedy and left for the money. It's a contradiction.

Fair play to Thornley for looking after himself. Loyalty is 2 way and the club certainly looks after itself with its dealings with players. I don't really get why people think that players owe the club anything for their development either. They don't owe them any more than I or you do to our employers for training received at work. The club certainly aren't a charity and do it for themselves. Many players that come through the system play for peanuts for years due to being Wigan through and through and for the promise of riches down the line. These riches don't always come and this loyalty isn't always rewarded.